Third time's a charm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac95

Reaction score
Hi from Glasgow, Scotland.

This'll be my third year trying to make a decent batch of perry and cider from fruit that grows in my garden! 2020's was bland, 2021's spoiled, so I'm hoping that I can get advice here to make 2022's palatable.

I'll also be giving strawberry wine another shot this year. Last year's smelled amazing, but unfortunately the airlock snapped and some nasties got in.

Welcome to this forum!

Keep it cool, low and slow (months) is great, and try to find a fermenter(s) with a neck and fill it/them up to limit how much of the surface is exposed to air --- more air touching the surface = more chance of nasty.

Here's a second idea. People might think I am crazy, but this year I split my batch into I think 7 different fermenters. Bad batches can happen. But then if any part of it goes bad, I only lose a fraction of the entire amount. The real reason I did this was to try out 5 different kinds of yeast. But same thing applies. I think a couple of them are great, several are middle of the road, and a couple are kind of bad. But I won't lose much of the total amount if I dump any.

That's it in a nutshell, from my experience.

Back