Third time brewing, might have an infection not sure what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcman73

Reaction score
This past Sunday (7/14) I brewed an extract kit from Midewest, a Liberty Cream Ale. After cooling my wort down to about 78 degrees I pitched my yeast and put the carboy to the side and controlled the temp of it, I was able to keep it in the low to mid 70's (the yeast I used was from White labs and on it it stated to keep it at that temp for a good fermentation). Three days had past and no sign of fermentation, not even a single bubble, the wort looked as if I just brewed it. I took a gravity reading and after three days it only moved like a point. I called Midwest and without any question they overnighted a new vial of yeast to me, I should have it today.

Now here is where the infection comes in. I checked on it last night and found two "floaters" in the wort. One is slightly larger than the other (one is like the size of a pen tip and the other the size of a pen cap) and appears "furry"..looking like mold. When I checked on it again this morning, same two were there and they have not grown in size but now I see some fermentation happening as I see a very very thin layer of bubbles covering the surface of the wort.

With those two floaters I described which to me look like mold (white fuzz on them), is my brew hosed or should I put the new yeast that is coming in today and keep fermenting it as is? Should I rack the wort into another fermenter before I pitch the new yeast to try and get rid of those floating mold?

Thanks.

Sanitize your brew spoon & get'em out of there. I'd like to see a pic just the same to confirm what you think you're seeing...

Sanitize your brew spoon & get'em out of there. I'd like to see a pic just the same to confirm what you think you're seeing...

It's in a glass carboy so I can't get to them with a spoon. I do have a 6.5 gallon ferm pail, should I rack it into it before I pitch the new yeast?

Well,in that case,how bout an autosiphon? Things like this are why I prefer ale pails & my Cooper's Microbrew FV. Wider opening,less hassle.

Well,in that case,how bout an autosiphon? Things like this are why I prefer ale pails & my Cooper's Microbrew FV. Wider opening,less hassle.

Try using the autosiphon to remove them and leave everything in the carboy?

Back