Third brew, what should I do??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldengrl

Reaction score
Okay guys, so I'm 2 brew into this thing and I've come upon a problem. My dear husband and I have different taste. I can drink ales til the cows come home, but he say that they are a little strong in flavor for his taste.
He likes wheats and lagers. I see that for lagers you have to have them in cool conditions, what will happen if I beer it any way without the fridge?
Also we both really like the Sunset Wheat and Summer Shady from Leinenkugel's. Do you think that these beers would be to ambitous for my 3rd brew.
Any suggestions on some middle ground recipes would also be great.

How about a wheat beer? They are extremely easy to brew. You don't need a secondary. Just 14 days in primary and it's ready to bottle. Some people say you can bottle as early as 7-9 days, but I think it's still a bit too yeasty at that time.

If you'd like, you can add frozen raspberries or cherries to add flavor when you rack to secondary. Or you can split the batch and do half with fruit and half without.

Does your husband like hoppy beers? If so, maybe a light APA.

If you have no way to lager you could do a steam beer. Lots of my friends that only like BMC like the Anchor Steam beer. Its pretty much a lager fermented at ale temps. You could also try a Blond Ale, very close to a lager.

To Ryanh not sure about a steam beer. I think that I just had him try one ( I think anchor) and he said that the flavor was too strong. I would have to adjust the recipe.
To Squirrel I had no idea that wheats were so easy to make. I think that this has to be next on my list. It's no fun drinking your home brew alone.

From one n00b to another, I second the wheat recommendation. I can appreciate just about all styles of beer, but the wif isn't with me on that. She just doesn't like hoppy or heavy stuff--but she needs flavor (hates all the BMC stuff!) We're doing a hefeweizen now because Paulaner is one of the few beers she really likes. I did some research and lo and behold, there are plenty of quality extract kits available in this style, and most are very easy to brew and highly rated by customers.

You might also look into some English brown ales, which can be very good "session" beers. (You can drink them all night long!) :tank: I'm thinking my next batch might just be a nut brown ale kit from my LHBS, since Newcastle is another beer my wif actually likes. :)

If you like the Summer Shandy you will like this.
This was one of my first brews and the SWMBO LOVES it and the Summer Shandy is her all time favorite beer. I'm also very happy with it.

6# Wheat DME (60/40 of wheat and pils)
1 oz. Hallertauer hops at 3.2% for 60 minuts of boil
at 15 minutes left of the boil add the zest (the outer part of the peals) of 4 large orange and lemons)
1 packet of Nottingham dry yeast.

This is for a full 6 gallon boil. If you can't do that then do a 3 gallon and up the hops to like 1.4oz. or just leave it at 1 and have a sweet less hoppy beer.

The orange and lemon are there but it's not over powering at all. Just a hint of it. Just like you dropped a wedge into the bottle.

I second the Wheat beer. I did a wheat extract kit from morebeer. My weekly poker night is predominately non-dark beer bud light enthusiasts. However, most people were passing up the bud light for my kegged wheat. So, wheat is a good choice.

I find myself in a similar situation, with a husband who thinks all beer should be BMC. For me, the maltier, and hoppier the better. Neither of us like wheat beer, though. My solution is to brew twice as much. I brew lighter/wussier beer for him, heavier/bigger beer for me. On the upside, I know he'll leave my beer alone!

you can't go easier or more tasty than a wheat beer. just be sure to ferment at low temp (i keep 'em at about 65 F) and you will have quite a tasty beverage in just a few weeks :)

I'm falling in love with this place and I just joined yesterday. To SixFoFalcon I just put a brown in the fermenter last night. I'm hoping that he likes it.
To FRS402 thanx for the recipe. I'll love putting that baby to use. Soon!
To NurseNan you said it the way I want to put it. I wish that he would just drink til he likes it lol. But I have to say I might find myself with a basement full of beer if I keep it up.

Latest posts

Back