Third Batch in E-BIAB System. Looking for Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigarcherynut

Reaction score
Ok I'm getting ready to brew my third batch in my new E-Kettle. The first one a Black Butte Porter clone went well but many things to try to do and document. My conversion efficiency was a little low at 88%. My second was an oatmeal stout and felt a little more comfortable and did get the efficiency up.

Now I'm going to brew my third batch a Founders Porter clone and have a good idea on what I need to watch, measure and record to get a good feel of how my new build is working so I can get where I want to be with efficiencies and the process its self.

I'm trying to be consistent with what I do so hoping to be able to repeat my recipes. I've been reading threads on here and other brewing forums and the comments are all over the place. Just trying to figure what I want to settle on so this is what I'm leaning towards.

I've settled on a setting of .03 mill setting and a double pass.

Seems my system using a calculated strike temp has been a little high so I'm trying 3 degrees above my mash temp. Not sure if this is because my kettle is an oval??? Will see if this works.

The mash temp is 155. I do follow the recipes for the temps.

The mash time I'm going to increase to 90 minutes to see if I increase my efficiency. If I do increase them will make that my standard.

The boil time is where I'm undecided. I have read so much on this I'm confused. Some recipes call for 60, 90 this one calls for 70. Just don't know what to decide on. Should I make 90 my normal and adjust my water accordingly?

I have decided to get my well water tested. I have had people tell me about the importance of this so that's my next step.

Hoping to get a good feel of my system after this run and make very good notes. This I found was difficult at first but now know what to record and when. Getting to be fun.

Thanks for everyones help so far and keep your input coming.

Thanks,

Bill

I usually just follow the times on the recipe's for mash and boil.
If your recirculating, an hour should be good for the mash and the grind should be set so that you don't have any issues with the bag restricting the flow.
The strike temp you'll have to fiddle with a little, I've been starting out a little low and after stirring in the grains bring it up into the range I want.
After getting comfortable with all this I'd focus on fermentation temp control and making starters with the yeast or re-hydrating if using dry yeast.
Getting your water right would be my next move.
I've slowly progressed through all these steps one at a time and it seems to be paying off with a smooth process and better tasting beer. Sounds like your not concerned about adding time to your brew day, so you'll be able to relax and pay attention to the details.

I usually just follow the times on the recipe's for mash and boil.
If your recirculating, an hour should be good for the mash and the grind should be set so that you don't have any issues with the bag restricting the flow.
The strike temp you'll have to fiddle with a little, I've been starting out a little low and after stirring in the grains bring it up into the range I want.
After getting comfortable with all this I'd focus on fermentation temp control and making starters with the yeast or re-hydrating if using dry yeast.
Getting your water right would be my next move.
I've slowly progressed through all these steps one at a time and it seems to be paying off with a smooth process and better tasting beer. Sounds like your not concerned about adding time to your brew day, so you'll be able to relax and pay attention to the details.

Well I opted for the 90 mash and added a 168 degree mash out for ten minutes.

I then made a sandwich board to squeeze the mash. Worked good and no hot hands and sore arms. Got my grain absorption to .066.

Lowered my strike temp and was closer. Only 2 degrees low but better than 5 high like my first two attempts.

Got my boil off rate figured out. Had too much water so a longer boil time but adjusted my hop times.

Got all my numbers up so feeling better about my system and what I'm doing.

Water sample getting sent in this week.

My basement gives me multiple temperature locations for now but I did buy a refrigerator this fall for converting into a fermenter. That's my next project.

Yeast starters I've read about and will look closer at that.

Thanks for the input.

Back