third attempt at real cider, with corny kegs, need help with the process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2n

Reaction score
Okay so I need some help making a good cider. I was wondering if anybody can answer some questions about my process?

Equipment that I have:
5 gallon carboy
2 corny kegs with co2 bottle
0.1 micron filter that connects between the kegs
siphon, airlocks, funnels, hydrometer, etc
5 gallons of unfiltered apple juice
nottingham ale yeast OR cider house select premium yeast
pectic enzyme (?)
maltodextrin (?)

So my second batch was a bit hazy and I want to fix that problem.

My first step would be to add the pectic enzyme to the 5 gallons of unfiltered apple juice. The juice itself is already really cloudy so I'm hoping it should clear it up before fermentation. The question is, how long do I wait before pitching the yeast when I add pectic enzyme?

I want to add brown sugar to increase the alcohol content. Should I do this? And how much should I add for 5 gallons? or a better number would be what specific gravity should I aim for?

I understand maltodextrin thickens the batch, is it really required?

Which yeast should I use? Nottingham or the Cider House?

When I ferment in the carboy, how long should I ferment? I don't have a second carboy, and I understand that I need to separate the liquid from the lees. Is this really an issue for me, considering I have a 0.1 micron filter (aka should I just leave it in the primary for a month before filtering?)

When your cider is in secondary, does it get refrigerated or room temperature?

I feel like I understand the general process but I'm hung up on these specifics.

Thanks guys.

Lots of questions...
"So my second batch was a bit hazy and I want to fix that problem."
If you are kegging it, let the keg clear it out. The first gallon will be cloudy and the rest will be perfect. Cloudy cider still tastes better than no cider in my opinion.

"My first step would be to add the pectic enzyme to the 5 gallons of unfiltered apple juice. The juice itself is already really cloudy so I'm hoping it should clear it up before fermentation. The question is, how long do I wait before pitching the yeast when I add pectic enzyme?"
Add your cambden and pectic enzyme right away. Wait 24-48 hours and pitch the yeast.

"I want to add brown sugar to increase the alcohol content. Should I do this? And how much should I add for 5 gallons? or a better number would be what specific gravity should I aim for?"
Are you trying to make apple wine? If not, don't add sugar. With no sugar added you will get 5-6 percent alcohol. Why mess with natures perfection?

"I understand maltodextrin thickens the batch, is it really required?"
I have never added maltodextrin. Don't know why you would but that is just me.

"Which yeast should I use? Nottingham or the Cider House?"
Have fun, use both, or one, but choose the one that sings to your soul because it really doesn't matter that much. They are both good.

"When I ferment in the carboy, how long should I ferment? I don't have a second carboy, and I understand that I need to separate the liquid from the lees. Is this really an issue for me, considering I have a 0.1 micron filter (aka should I just leave it in the primary for a month before filtering?)"
I leave it in the primary for 6 months and then put it strait into the keg and force carb it. I have three carboys this year and the other two will age longer before making it to the keg, but 6 months minimum. Cider is more like wine than beer so patience make better cider.

"When your cider is in secondary, does it get refrigerated or room temperature?"
Go colder if you can it will help the sediment fall out of solution. Mine get fermented and aged in my basement. A slower ferment leaves more fruit flavor.

"I feel like I understand the general process but I'm hung up on these specifics."
My first batch tasted good after 3 years of aging. Heck, I still have two bottles of it. It was that bad right away that I was hoping age would make it better (and it did). My second batch of 10 gallons got thrown away. It came entirely from local roadside apples and I learned that year about blending correctly. My third and fourth year ciders have been dang near perfect. My point is just brew and learn from it. If its not perfect, its still YOUR cider and at least a learning experience.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the quick reply. By waiting 6 months and then siphoning to the keg, I am assuming you are filtering the lees and yeast, correct? I thought you were supposed to remove the lees after 2 weeks so that there weren't any off flavors.

I am probably different but no. Correct technique probably states yes, however. This is the switching it to a secondary part. Its not necessary but using a secondary does help clear the brew. If you have enough kegs (I only have one so I don't), then you could use the keg as the secondary. The first couple glasses will be very cloudy as it will take what does settle out first.
I have developed a keep it simple approach to brewing cider. Same with my wines.

Thanks for the quick reply. By waiting 6 months and then siphoning to the keg, I am assuming you are filtering the lees and yeast, correct? I thought you were supposed to remove the lees after 2 weeks so that there weren't any off flavors.

Yes, I siphon to a new vessel whenever there are lees 1/4" thick, or any lees at all after 60 days. Once no new lees form after at least 60 days, the cider is ready for packaging.

If you are sweetening the cider, you may choose to filter with a sterile filter (to rid all of the yeast) and then sweeten to taste and keg and carbonate. I don't filter, but I don't sweeten ciders or wines so I don't worry about fermentation restarting.

Back