Thinking of fermenting outdoors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laddg

Reaction score
So, I accidentally bought and brewed this lager kit, and I don't have a fermentation chamber to lager it in... even though the instructions say the yeast will "perform well even at ale temperatures" I'm thinking that I would like to keep the temps down.

The weather forecast for the next ten days is a low of 31 and a high of 54.

Would I be better off fermenting indoor at 65 or so, or putting it outdoors at varying temperatures (protected from light, of course), probably wrapped in a blanket to keep the swings down?

Thanks,
DJG

I agree with jeepinjeepin, but wild swings from 31-54 would be worse than a constant 65.

Have you already pitched your yeast? Regardless, consider spending $2 on a package of dry ale yeast and hydrate and pitch that.

The only time I have had success with fermenting outdoors was a pair of saisons, one rye and one smoked. I pitched a blend of 3 different saison strains i had obtained from a local brewery, and put them on my deck in august. Since that type of yeast strain was able to handle the high temps and temp swings, it worked great. With lager strains, I would probably rather have a steady temp over a low varying temp.

Which strain of yeast did pitch? It could an ale yeast.

I'm not sure. It was a dry pack from a Brewer's Best kit, and in German. Something like 'Breemeister' but there was no strain listed. I don't remember exactly.

I've decided to let it go indoors with a consistent 65F temp. It is bubbling nice and steadily now, and I'll post how it turns out.

DJG

I'm not sure. It was a dry pack from a Brewer's Best kit, and in German. Something like 'Breemeister' but there was no strain listed. I don't remember exactly.

I've decided to let it go indoors with a consistent 65F temp. It is bubbling nice and steadily now, and I'll post how it turns out.

DJG

I have never seen a brewers best kit that didn't ID the yeast strain. Which kit was it?

Latest posts

Back