Think I got Tannins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I brewed a honey porter today using extract and steeping grains. I was planning on bringing the steeping water to 165 and then adding the grain bag, however I read the thermometer wrong and added the grains to 180 Degree water. I figured it out in about 5 seconds, dumped a room temperature bottled water in and lowered the temp to 165, where I let it sit for 35 minutes as it slowly cooled to 155.

Anyways, since it was above 165 for 15 seconds, but only for 15 seconds, do you think I killed the batch?

Cheers.

I'm relatively new to grain brewing. I'm migrating from kits to grain and LME. the few grain experiments I've done have been great. Even if it has some pucker, It's better than the kits. It's a honey porter so it may be forgiving....

It takes a pH of over 6.0 and temperature over 170 to extract tannins and then they don't all jump at once, more like a slow leach. Your water with the steeping grains was likely less than pH 6 and your time was so short, I doubt you will even have reached the threshold of taste if you did leach any tannins and I'm nearly 100% certain you didn't ruin your beer. If in doubt yet, when you have the batch bottled you can send me half of them for "flavor analysis". :D

Back