They all said I was crazy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
They all said I was crazy for having a dozen carboys and 20 cases of beer bottles.

Now we have Hurricane Sandy bearing down on us. And all the empty carboys and bottles have been filled with water.

Suddenly, I'm not so crazy... :D

Ridin' The Storm Out!

I thought the same thing last night, although I don't really have many circumstances where I'm going to need it in Colorado. Be safe during the storm.

Good idea, filling my carboys up with water tonight. It's not suppose to be to bad over here in Pittsburgh but you never know.

Just finished my last few homebrews this weekend... Waiting on more to finish carbing..

Had to go out and buy a case of Hurricane 40's... Seemed appropriate...

Had a storm party at my frat house last night, at around 1 AM i turned the main breaker off in the house, heard everyone cheering, turned it back on, went upstairs and ther were about 3 separate instances of people making out in corners of the house..... lol

Survival instincts...

In case of an emergency... pro-create

I was shocked to find I had 60 gallons of spare containers assocaited with my brewery. They are all now filled with water and this storm one hell of a bastard right now. The lights have flickered twice in the last hour. Sucks.

Got about 15 gallons of cider in bottles, 5 more fermenting, and another 5 gallons of beer ready to be bottle tonight and 5 more of beer fermenting. 15+5+5+5 = 30 gallons of booze. Not counting whats in the fridge and liquor cabinet. If the power goes out I'll fill a 5 gallon carboy with water and call it good.

LeBreton said:
Got about 15 gallons of cider in bottles, 5 more fermenting, and another 5 gallons of beer ready to be bottle tonight and 5 more of beer fermenting. 15+5+5+5 = 30 gallons of booze. Not counting whats in the fridge and liquor cabinet. If the power goes out I'll fill a 5 gallon carboy with water and call it good.

Priorities:)

Hi mate,being from Australia I know all about natural disasters,we have drought,flood & fire every year.Have not seen a storm act like your one before.
Stay safe mate,I wish you & your family all the best.

Not Crazy at all, I filled up empty containers with 40 gallons of water expecting the power and well pump to go out. My 20 gallon primary makes a great reserve, spigot and all.

Nutty, we escaped with only a few trees down, hope things werent too bad for you.

I've often had a similar discussion with the wife: "If I keep all the carboys full and going at the same time, we could survive for months on wine alone!" Which, is probably only half true. If each person consumed a bottle over a day, at ~20 kcal/oz * 22 oz, you would get about 440 kcal a day, along with the water. It's not much by any means, but with a stock of about 30 gallons, I'd say two people could make it a month.

Upstate Mike,

You are crazy and don't let anyone tell you any different. However being crazy has it's benifits, like being ready for a natural disaster! Plus being crazy makes life more fun! I think most, if not all of us homebrewers are a little off our rockers. And in my opinion that makes us a diverse, interesting, and fun group of people!

Good luck and stay safe Mike and to anyone else in the storm's path!

There are still people outside philly with power out and wont have it back until sunday or later.... Jersey got it really bad, especially the shore, NYC is still really bad too, too bad staten island is still there.... and NYC's mayor is more worried about a dumb marathon that's supposed to happen.... a whole neighborhoob burnt down in brooklyn, 80 houses or somethin

We survived. Didn't lose water but did lose power for 3.5 days. No issues with food, but the gas situation in Jersey is crazy. We have no trees on our property but they are on every side of us in the neighbors yards. Some are close enough and tall enough to reach the house with a vengeance if they went down. The family slept in the center of the house the night of the storm. We have friends a few blocks away who had trees come through the roof. One elderly lady would have been impaled in her bed had her son not moved her down the street to be with the family; her house is very nice and you wouldn't think that could happen. But it did. Other people on the block had major damage to homes and property. One family lost BOTH cars when a giant tree fell and crushed them in the driveway. They haven't even moved them yet.

I've seen police breaking up fights at the local gas station. I have witnessed gas stations lines that were over 50 cars long all day long. On multiple days too. Now, its a bit better but some stations still have a line. You have to know where to go and some people don't. Last night I was walking the dog up past the local corner station and saw that there were 10 cars waiting. Of the 10, 7 of the plates were from new york. All of the counties north of me have begun gas rationing based on license plate numbers. Depending upon the last digit of your plate you can go on odd or even days.

It is now the 7th? day of no power for half of our large school district. Some facebook postings suggest that people in the nicer neighborhoods are running a neighborhood watch with guns to keep the gas thieves at bay. Gas thievery via siphon is real in New Jersey and New York right now. What a crazy world. If anything, it has taught me that I need to have more beer ready to go, I need a damn natural gas or propane generator, and I want a longgun permit. N_G

We survived...

...It is now the 7th? day of no power for half of our large school district. Some facebook postings suggest that people in the nicer neighborhoods are running a neighborhood watch with guns to keep the gas thieves at bay. Gas thievery via siphon is real in New Jersey and New York right now. What a crazy world. If anything, it has taught me that I need to have more beer ready to go, I need a damn natural gas or propane generator, and I want a longgun permit. N_G

Good to hear you are alright nutty gnome, hang in there and keep us posted!

Glad to hear you made it ok. Hope things return to normal for you soon.
I have to restrain myself when I hear of guys buying pallets of $500 generators at local Home Depot's while bragging about selling them for $1200 ea in NJ.....bunchafriggindouche's

it shows the character of some people who take advantage of other's suffering and misfortune to make a dime.

the gas is bad in north Jersey right now, i didnt realize it until i talked to my mother yesterday, there are still areas without power,

my uncle said he waited in line for 2 hours, only to have the guy in front of him finish the last gas at the station.

i bet the people with wood burning stoves/heaters are laughing now

Yea its pretty bad, had to wait 3.5 hours for gas two days ago in north jersey. I shall be riding my motorcycle in the cold until this ridiculousness is over. Thankfully the power came back on, just in time to restock and warm up the place before this nor'eastern comes Wed. night. A lot of places at the Jersey shore are just opening up to allow residents come in to asses the damage/ figure out whats salvagable.

Also, thank god for the 100 bottles of cider that I had made for thanksgiving. Kept me going the past week :)

Latest posts

Back