These bottles seem a little thin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickled_Pepper

Reaction score
Apologies if this has all been discussed before, but I wanted to get an opinion.

I was going to buy a case of bottles from the LHBS for a batch. So I figured instead of $13.95 for a case of (24) 12 oz empties, I'd go ahead and spend the $18.95 for Costco's Kirkland Handcrafted Ales. (24) 12 oz'ers with beer in them. $5 for a case of beer, right?!?...It was worth $5 ;)

Well today, I soaked the bottles and started peeling the labels off and they seem a little...thin. Has anyone heard of breweries...especially the big guys... using inferior bottles?

Thanks in Advance.

I have never used them, but I know some breweries are cutting costs any way possble. That being said these bottles held beer once and should be ablw to do so again.

Well, they will at least hold the pressure of carbonation, since they already have. I'd use them and chances are they wont break unless you drop them or get some sort of high pressure situation from an infection or too much priming sugar.

Do you have any near by breweries? One near me (Erie Brewing) will sell cases of empty bottles for $5.

I have never had a problem with bottle breaking (fingers crossed). And I have used a few different varieties that I would also call "thin".

But just remember alot of these bottles are holding pressure of previously force carbonated beer. It's a lot less pressure to hold vs. bottle conditioning using priming sugar. Same argument for bottle conditioning in Growlers vs transporting already carbonated beer from a keg.

You're right. They had beer in them before, so they should be fine. I was just curious I guess.

In Atlanta we have Sweetwater and Red Brick. I guess I could contact them and see if they sell bottles. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back