Thermowell & RTD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
Can you switch a RTD (Auber) from one thermowell to another thermowell, do they even have RTD's that can fit in a thermowell? What I am not sure about is how long it takes to auto-tune a RTD. I was curious as to using one in my BK auto-tuned and one in my MLT to just to show the temp in the mash. I am basically just looking for a way to display the mash temp on my control panel. I will have an analog thermometer mounted for a backup/referance. If y'all know of something cheap that can utilize a thermowell, I would love to maybe utilize it in my control panel.

Thanks,
-G

I wouldn't switch sensors between thermowells every time you brew because for a temp sensor to work correctly in a thermal well you really need to use thermal paste to ensure that you have good contact between the the well and the sensor. Otherwise the temp you are reading may be off. Thermal paste is a mess and seems to get on everything I touch once it gets on my hands and you don't want to mess around with that when you are brewing.

As for the auto tuning that has to do with the PID control not reading temps, so that is not a concern here. Also most people simply run the PID in manual mode when boiling.

I would use 2 separate RTD sensors and just plug whatever one you need into the PID controller when you need it.

Latest posts

Back