Thermometer stem length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigo

Reaction score
I am getting two more sight gauge/thermometer combos from weldeless fittings. My question is how long must the thermometer probe protrude into the pot (not how long should the probe be).

1) HOW FAR INTO THE KETTLE SHOULD A DIAL THERMOMETER GO?
2) DOES BLICHMANN MAKE LONGER STEM THERMOMETERS?

I want the blichmann (fun to see the mash temps, etc) but I don't believe 6" stems are made by blichmann, only 2"...otherwise I will get the 6" stem from weldless IF NEEDED.

long time no post...thank you again everyone!

anyone have any experience with the length of the stem that should protrude into the vessel?

I think that would be a very easy experiment to conduct, if you have a digital thermometer.

Put a few gallons of water into a pot, heat it up to strike temperature, and use your digital to measure the temperature near the side of the pot, two inches in from the side and six inches in from the side. See what kind of temperature difference there really is. I would think that, if you could get away with it, a shorter stem length would make cleaning, stirring, whirlpooling and BIAB easier to do.

My pot pulls double duty as a hot liquor tank and a brew kettle:

When it's an HLT, I only need to know I'm slightly above the desired temperature before draining into the mash tun, and I can see that with a simple glance at the dial. I let the overly hot water heat up the MT, then stir until it's cooled to the desired strike temperature, which I'm now measuring with my digital thermometer.

When it's a BK, boiling is boiling, so I don't need to know the temperature.

That is a great experiment. Thank you! I'll try it tonight & then post it. If anyone has any more experience notes on this post em ;)

I am told by Teltru.com that THEIR thermometers must protrude at least 2" into the vessel. There is a mark two inches up the stem on some of their thermometer...this is the minimum immersion point for accurate readings.

Back