Thermometer height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRS_Brewer

Reaction score
I couldn't find a post on this, so please direct me elsewhere if there is one. I just got a Spike Brewing 15 gallon BK with two ports placed vertically for accessories in order to start BIAB (I have only done extract with specialty grains in a 7.5 gallon kettle up until now). The lower will be my pickup tube, and I planned on putting a thermometer in the top one. However, in looking at the volume markings, it seems the upper port sits at about 6.25 inches from the bottom. The five gallon mark is about 6.75 inches from the bottom. I am wondering if I will be able to use the thermometer for my five gallon extract batches? The kits I have gotten in the past stated I should not do a full-batch boil, but I have no idea why. While I do have a smaller pot, I am wondering if I am even able to run small batches through the larger kettle, AND use the thermometer?

Does any one run five gallon extract batches in larger kettles?

I have the same problem with my 15-gallon pot. My thermometer is fine, but my top valve is a little too high so I can't recirculate wort for cooling. Also, the sight glass is pretty useless because it barely registers 5-gallons. The boil off rate on a large pot is usually higher, so you need to account for that as well.

I gave up. I have a smaller 10 gallon pot that I use for 5-gallon batches.

I think a thermometer in the kettle is pretty useless, and possibly more of an impediment. A boil is a boil, no need to measure temps. When heating strike water, or when chilling, I stick my thermometer in the water or wort when I need to take a reading.

So, obviously I don't have a thermometer mounted in my kettle's thermometer port. I can do without a probe sticking out on the inside that will get hit with my mash paddle, when mashing in the kettle, or when stirring during the boil. Since I use hop bags in the kettle, there's nothing they can hang on, or worse get ripped by.

I did find a good alternative use for the thermometer port by using it for recirculation and whirlpooling. I only wish it was a full port not a half one, so I could screw an adapter in it on the inside. Now I use a bent diptube inside a drilled #2 rubber stopper, and it holds well inside the half threaded port. The port has a valve mounted on the outside.

I think Jaybird makes a whirlpool adapter that screws into the thermometer port, making it more useful than it's original purpose.

I was hoping to use the thermometer for BIAB more than anything, but can certainly just stick a thermometer in the kettle every so often. The whirlpool arm sounds good, but I was going to use a Jaded Whirlybird eventually. More thought on this perhaps.

I was hoping to use the thermometer for BIAB more than anything, but can certainly just stick a thermometer in the kettle every so often. The whirlpool arm sounds good, but I was going to use a Jaded Whirlybird eventually. More thought on this perhaps.

When you stick a BIAB bag in that kettle you certainly don't want 3 inches of that thermometer stem poking into it. Use a manual thermometer from the top instead. Besides, those dial type have agonizingly slow response rates. They're great in an HLT, though, no moving parts.

Back