There has to be a better way to drain BIAB over a kettle at mashout without using a hoist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers crossed but that just looks like a mess. Any liquid coming out of the bag above the edge of the pot looks like it'll be running down the outside of the pot, not in.

Something I use to catch the last bit of wort from my Anvil "malt pipe" is to set it in a cake pan. I'll link an example. I can let gravity do its thing, I can squeeze a bag, whatever - and it all just collects. Then of course when I ready I just pitch the cake pan into the unit and boil away. I mention it in case the colander is messy. Maybe it could sit in a cake pan and not be as messy. If that ends up being how things go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VLIHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I and a lot of other BIAB use these sink strainers. They come on sale from time to time in Lidl . But there's also available on Amazon . It fits nicely into my keggle and the arms slide out trombone style to fit bigger pots
https://opinionsproducts.blogspot.com/2019/05/ernesto-extendable-sieve-lidl.html?m=1Premier Housewares Kitchen Sink Strainer Wire Mesh Over Sink Colander Rice Strainer Sink Strainer Basket Large Sieve Dimensions (H x W x D): 11 x 30 x 19 cm Premier Housewares Kitchen Sink Strainer Wire Mesh Over Sink Colander Rice Strainer Sink Strainer Basket Large Sieve Dimensions (H x W x D): 11 x 30 x 19 cm : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Here's a photo of it in situ

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_131302.jpg
    IMG_20211114_131302.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
I enjoy a bit of collective brain storming as much as anyone but I cant help but circle back. Mrs Stout could probably live with a hook in the ceiling like this..

{I swear this was a picture of a white hook}

Especially if you also buy a hanging planter filled with flowers that will occupy said hook for 99% of the time.

Last edited:
I use a cable drum on its side as a brew table , with castor wheels mounted underneath to make it easy to move around. I mounted a length of unistrut to the cable drum , using right angle brackets . I also made a right angled bend in the unistrut by cutting through the sides of the unistrut with a hacksaw, bending the unistrut in a vice and supporting the bend with another unistrut angle fitting . I then mounted a small block and tackle to a carabiner mounted through the unistrut .

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_142832.jpg
    IMG_20200413_142832.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200413_143646.jpg
    IMG_20200413_143646.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200413_150444.jpg
    IMG_20200413_150444.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 36
I use a cable drum on its side as a brew table , with castor wheels mounted underneath to make it easy to move around. I mounted a length of unistrut to the cable drum , using right angle brackets . I also made a right angled bend in the unistrut by cutting through the sides of the unistrut with a hacksaw, bending the unistrut in a vice and supporting the bend with another unistrut angle fitting . I then mounted a small block and tackle to a carabiner mounted through the unistrut .
https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/brewdevil-accessories/400-ratchet-pulley-38-rope-113-kg-rating.htmlThis holds the weight of the bag no problem

I have an 8 gallon kettle and brew 4 gallon batches on my kitchen stove with assist from a Hotrod heat stick. Usually I mash with 4 gallons of water, raise the bag and let it drain, put it in a bucket and add another 1.5 to 2 gallons of warm water to sparge, and dump those second-runnings back in the kettle. Last week I tried a no-sparge brew, starting with 6 gallons of water. (it works just as well, efficiency was good, I just had to acidify more water)

In either case, when the mash is done I lift the bag out by hand and let it drip until it's light enough to handle. Then I tie it off on the handle of the kitchen cabinet above the stove and let it continue draining. It works like a hook in the ceiling, except it's already there :D When it's almost finished draining on its own, I squeeze it dry and put it in a bucket -- for sparging or just dealing with later.

Maybe you already have a sky-hook and just haven't noticed it ;)

Hooks in the ceiling--not an option.

Going to try the big-ass colander next brew. If that doesn't work, I'm only out $20, and will consider some kind of tripod thingy with a pot underneath to collect the wort. I no longer do a pour-over sparge, just collect the wort and pour it in the BK with the rest and add any water that didn't fit during the mash. Then boil.

Or the colander and a cake pan :)

But, yeah, gotta try it. The foil might be enough to make it work.

Instead of a tripod maybe there's a chance that if not a cabinet door handle (I'm not a huge fan of that), there still could be something placed in an overhead cabinet. Attached an idea. 2 pieces of 2 x 4, a horizontal piece has a hook in it, goes in the overhead cabinet above the stove (if there is one of course). The vertical piece of 2 x 4 just keeps it from flipping out under the weight of the bag. Just make a space between your bottles of oil or whatever is up there.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 2
I have an 8 gallon kettle and brew 4 gallon batches on my kitchen stove with assist from a Hotrod heat stick. Usually I mash with 4 gallons of water, raise the bag and let it drain, put it in a bucket and add another 1.5 to 2 gallons of warm water to sparge, and dump those second-runnings back in the kettle. Last week I tried a no-sparge brew, starting with 6 gallons of water. (it works just as well, efficiency was good, I just had to acidify more water)

In either case, when the mash is done I lift the bag out by hand and let it drip until it's light enough to handle. Then I tie it off on the handle of the kitchen cabinet above the stove and let it continue draining. It works like a hook in the ceiling, except it's already there :D When it's almost finished draining on its own, I squeeze it dry and put it in a bucket -- for sparging or just dealing with later.

Maybe you already have a sky-hook and just haven't noticed it ;)
"Honey, I swear I don't know how the cabinet door fell off."...
Just practicing for later

Simple enough to screw bits of 2 x 4 together
Use the Brew Bag + their insulated gloves, perfect combo

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Brew Bag.jpg
    Brew Bag.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 24
Fingers crossed but that just looks like a mess. Any liquid coming out of the bag above the edge of the pot looks like it'll be running down the outside of the pot, not in.

Something I use to catch the last bit of wort from my Anvil "malt pipe" is to set it in a cake pan. I'll link an example. I can let gravity do its thing, I can squeeze a bag, whatever - and it all just collects. Then of course when I ready I just pitch the cake pan into the unit and boil away. I mention it in case the colander is messy. Maybe it could sit in a cake pan and not be as messy. If that ends up being how things go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VLIHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Yep! I can't believe I haven't shared this yet. We've got a bunch of big rectangular cake pans from my wife's old baking business. I took one that would cover the kettle completely and hang over by quite a bit and filled a bunch of holes right in the center that would drain liquid into the kettle. The next iteration is going to use an even bigger pan with a large area of holes roughly as big as the kettle opening. Four stainless bolts stuck down through a few of the outermost holes will ensure that the perforated area stays centered over the opening. I always forget about wanting to build this until brew day when it's too late. If I get one done soon, I'll share a picture.

Hooks in the ceiling--not an option.

Going to try the big-ass colander next brew. If that doesn't work, I'm only out $20, and will consider some kind of tripod thingy with a pot underneath to collect the wort. I no longer do a pour-over sparge, just collect the wort and pour it in the BK with the rest and add any water that didn't fit during the mash. Then boil.

I’ve been using the over sink mesh strainer since I started brewing about 2 years ago. About 40 batches in. It has worked ok but I’ve never been really happy with sparging it or how often I’ll get a mess due to the bag flopping out.

Because of this thread I’ve went and got an 8 quart stainless colander and used it this weekend for the first time. Much better overall solution. No messes, was much better sparging experience. I purchased the Winco Cod for 21 cdn.

I’ve been using the over sink mesh strainer since I started brewing about 2 years ago. About 40 batches in. It has worked ok but I’ve never been really happy with sparging it or how often I’ll get a mess due to the bag flopping out.

Because of this thread I’ve went and got an 8 quart stainless colander and used it this weekend for the first time. Much better overall solution. No messes, was much better sparging experience. I purchased the Winco Cod for 21 cdn.

Does the colander sit on top of your kettle, or does it fit inside? If it sits on top, how did you keep wort from running out the holes on the side?

Does the colander sit on top of your kettle, or does it fit inside? If it sits on top, how did you keep wort from running out the holes on the side?

it Sits inside. I am using a 10G kettle. About 13 inches ID if I remember correctly. Fits perfectly on my kettle so that there is an opening between the colander and edge of kettle so that anything that runs over the edge ends up in kettle not on the stove.

for a long boil the bottom of colander will end up in wort but similar issue for the mesh for me.

it Sits inside. I am using a 10G kettle. About 13 inches ID if I remember correctly. Fits perfectly on my kettle so that there is an opening between the colander and edge of kettle so that anything that runs over the edge ends up in kettle not on the stove.

for a long boil the bottom of colander will end up in wort but similar issue for the mesh for me.

Mine sits on top, so I'll need to use foil on the inside to cover the side holes.

Glad yours worked out.

I think on ordinary HDPE bucket with little holes in the bottom, that fits partially into the kettle, should to the job perfectly.

If the ss colander turns out messy, your idea might be next. I could even attach 3 or 4 ss bolts out the side to allow the bucket to rest on the kettle.

I think on ordinary HDPE bucket with little holes in the bottom, that fits partially into the kettle, should to the job perfectly.

I got to thinking about your idea. A 5 gal. food-grade bucket with the top couple inches cut off, some 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom, 3 ss bolts and voila! It ain't pretty, but should work. I'm calling it the Bag Hag. :)

Might try this first, before using the colander.

BIABdrainer.jpg

I got to thinking about your idea. A 5 gal. food-grade bucket with the top couple inches cut off, some 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom, 3 ss bolts and voila! It ain't pretty, but should work. I'm calling it the Bag Hag. :)

View attachment 749182
Haha@"baghag"
That should work great

View attachment 749182
I’m impressed with your even distribution of holes in the bottom of the bucket. I’m going to make one.👍

I'm going to have to rework the bucket thing.

I tested it--propped it up by the bolts, with the bolts supported at their ends. I set 15 lbs. of weights inside (approx. the weight of a typical bag of wet grain). The bolts defected quite a bit, due to the thin plastic wall of the bucket. With a bag of hot grain inside the plastic would likely flex even more, perhaps even fail. I don't want this thing collapsing into the kettle.

First, cutting off the top part of the bucket was a mistake--I made it less rigid. I'll probably need to use another bucket--intact, so that it has the reinforced rim. I'll also need to reinforce it around where the bolts attach, with some sheet metal plates on the outside.

So, drilling lots more holes in another bucket. Yay.
BucketWeight2.jpg

BucketDeflect2.jpg

I'm going to have to rework the bucket thing.

I tested it--propped it up by the bolts, with the bolts supported at their ends. I set 15 lbs. of weights inside (approx. the weight of a typical bag of wet grain). The bolts defected quite a bit, due to the thin plastic wall of the bucket. With a bag of hot grain inside the plastic would likely flex even more, perhaps even fail. I don't want this thing collapsing into the kettle.

First, cutting off the top part of the bucket was a mistake--I made it less rigid. I'll probably need to use another bucket--intact, so that it has the reinforced rim. I'll also need to reinforce it around where the bolts attach, with some sheet metal plates on the outside.

So, drilling lots more holes in another bucket. Yay.
View attachment 749217

View attachment 749218
That's what I thought Is going to happen, when I just read your initial post. Maybe you can replace the bolts with wedges on the outside? Bigger surface touching the bucket should do it! You might be able to reuse this bucket for it. You just need to cut some pieces of wood into the right shape. I'd connect the wedges with two screws probably. Looks like a biab rocket then. Fly me to the beer! :D

I don't think anyone has mentioned using an induction cooktop on this thread. You can use it outdoors for other things. Camping even. And you can boil heavy **** at ground level which makes the other stuff easier.

The bolts defected quite a bit

Fender washers.
3 more bolts evenly spaced amongst existing ones.

It's good design for the one thing I worried you'd find with collander, is that a full bag when lifted will absolutely spill out the top sides and all over. This will contain said spill.

this is how I drain my bag...it's inside a steamer basket. I just pull the basket and let it sit over the kettle for a while and drain/sparge before I actually hang the bag. Sorry I only have a pic of the bag hang but you can clearly see how I support the basket over the kettle.

I recently started shorting the mash by 1 gal. After the initial basket drain I sparge into the basket until I reach my target start boil volume. Then I hang the bag and whatever leftover wort that drains becomes my "boil off to reach start volume". Worth a few points on the OG.

IMG_6963.JPG

Latest posts

Back