The year 2022 in review...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought this could be a thread where we all summarize what we learned/did/discovered about homebrewing this year. Or our lives in general. Or whatever you want to say. Or reminisce about members we haven't seen in a while. Just anything you want.

Haven't seen @Yooper for a while, I hope she's doing well. @Revvy too, and haven't seen @BillyKlubb (can't even get a link) for a long time, his berry paunches were hilarious. This year I realized my setup is all I need; husband wanted to buy me a cannular this summer but I nixed it; wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I like shiny stuff just as much as the next homebrewer, but if I'm not going to use it every brewday (or at least 6 times a year), I don't really need it. Only major improvements I made this year were a new HLT, and a new grain mill for more control of the crush. Both of the old ones got donated back to the man who got me started down this path. Made some great beers this year, won a few medals, and learned a bit from the scoresheets. Didn't try many new recipes, because I like what I brew; and brew what I like. Yes, I can be boring. But I hope I also brought some laughs with my feeble attempts at comedy, sometimes druk, sometimes just sitting here with nothing else to do. Worked a great job, that I recently lost through no fault of my own; but two interviews this week look promising.

Anyone else?

Where did you get your medals?

Well, 70 gallons brewed, 30 of which went to my wedding, I got married clearly, took a second at the Montana state homebrew comp at Katabatic brewery, joined a homebrew club, took a second in the HBC's "Iron Brewer" competition, was the "head brewer" for our HBC's steinbier event, volunteered some time at the local hop yard, took the BJCP tasting exam, and am applying for a position at the MSU (Montana) barley malt quality research lab.

I learned I can make a lot better beers by grinding my own grain, mashing it myself, and avoid a lot of the shipping wort back and forth by using a big bag to hold the grain in the mash phase.

I learned that a really dark malt doesn't mash as well as it steeps.

I learned that you CAN use campden tablets on tap water instead of paying 8 bucks for 6 gallons of spring water.

I learned my mix of bottles almost never comes out like I planned it.

And I learned that I'm getting too old to pick up and carry around 42 pounds of hot, sloshing wort in a hot brewpot by myself.

I got back on the horse this year. After taking a year off from brewing, and several years since I brewed regularly, I wanted to get back into brewing. One of the problems of the last few years was contamination that I just couldn’t seem to get a handle on. I ditched some of the old equipment, thoroughly cleaned the mash tun and boil kettle, replaced fermenters, and rebuilt a draft system.

I’ve brewed three times so far, with two more this week and plans to brew on a regular basis for the foreseeable future.

The plan is to do a series of lagers in January.

Where did you get your medals?

Well, 70 gallons brewed, 30 of which went to my wedding, I got married clearly, took a second at the Montana state homebrew comp at Katabatic brewery, joined a homebrew club, took a second in the HBC's "Iron Brewer" competition, was the "head brewer" for our HBC's steinbier event, volunteered some time at the local hop yard, took the BJCP tasting exam, and am applying for a position at the MSU (Montana) barley malt quality research lab.
Two golds at SheBrew Portland (where @Hoppy2bmerry also got a gold!), a silver and bronze at Pacific Women's Brewers Cup, a silver at Novembeerfest, and some ribbons at the Washington State Fair. Most I've won in a single year since I started, very proud of myself.

Two golds at SheBrew Portland (where @Hoppy2bmerry also got a gold!), a silver and bronze at Pacific Women's Brewers Cup, a silver at Novembeerfest, and some ribbons at the Washington State Fair. Most I've won in a single year since I started, very proud of myself.
That's awesome, congrats! Do you enter NHC?

Brava! Pink boots worthy!

This past year my plans for the year were shot in the arse by circumstances beyond my control, but hey, family comes first. I made at least one not so good beer, (hoping a lengthy lagering helps it) and a not so bad beer that some bottles became oxidized because using a corny keg for a fermentor and using a siphon to transfer isn’t the best approach. With that said, I did enter several competitions, won a first, 3 seconds and a third place, had a pin of beet root porter kick at Bluepoint’s Caskfest too. I missed getting a brew done for nationals for a second year in a row. Next year I’m focusing on nationals and brewing styles I like and also those I do well.
Cheers to next year!

Last edited:
I’ve brewed for 30 years, and this year is the year of the major overhaul, reexamining every single aspect of my brewing. It started with switching from bottles to kegging completely. I’ve got very little space in my multi-hobby space so I went with 3 gallon kegs, because I can fit one in my minifridge. Al recipes now are 3/6/9/12 gallon. My LHBS named my brewery BrewBase Three. 🤣
I found a conical body on FB marketplace, built wood legs/roller base for it, found a surplus solid state chiller, and am making lagers now.

Biggest of all is leaving propane and keggle/coolers for a biab / malt pipe i’m DIYing (based on @Bobby_M of course) and can’t wait to get it going.

Huge changes, but it all feels pretty natural for me.

2022 was my first full year as our local brew club president and I love it. We've established a good rhythm of being informational, but still keeping the focus on fun stuff and drinking homebrew. Plus, the brewer at the local spot where we meet sits in at every meeting, which is a huge plus. Just got re-elected, so here's to 2023!
Also figured out I may need to finally upgrade my setup if I want to do more accurate step mashes and stuff like that...

I re-discovered the awesomeness of first wort hops. I got comfortable with my Anvil Foundry. And, last but not least, it was great to see my wife get excited about homebrewing.

She has slowly warmed to it over the years, but this year my back went out right before an event that I had promised a beer for. I walked her through the whole process, step-by-step, while she did all the lifting, cranking, stirring, etc, and Crazy Redhead (Amber Ale) was born. She got to pour and brag about it at the event and was eager to brew again!

Back