The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killing people for food. Our group of heroes has become just as bad as everyone else.

Well, to be clear, it's not like the Rickites haven't had issues with Negan and his "Saviors" already; some of them were about to kill Sasha and/or Abraham before Daryl went all Call of Duty on their asses. Given that they've already killed and bullied a bunch of basically unarmed farmers it's pretty obvious they're not peaceful and they're not looking to build a kind and happy future arm in arm with their fellow humans either. In a world without jails, how do you take care of what are basically the mob? You hit them hard and fast and take them out. I think a major possibility and potentially a big "oopsie" is that this wasn't actually the Saviors' main base, but rather some intermediary group.

I agree that it is likely that the compound where the slaughter took place was just where the "muscle" of Negan's group lives.

Another possibility is that one of the women who have captured Carol and Maggie is actually Negan. I don't remember if anyone referred to Negan as a he or she. Additionally, the show writers have changed the gender of characters before. In the comics, the leader of Alexandria was Douglas Monroe. In the show, he was changed to Deanna.

Hehe. I haven't actually read the comics, though I've thought about picking up some of the compendiums for comparison sake. If you're curious here's the first volume:

Walking Dead Volume 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn gonna eat it.

The pictures he saw with all the bashed in heads, the fact he finally popped his murder cherry.

If he has more than 6 or 7 speaking lines in which he says something deep and profound in the next few episodes, he's toast.

Abraham is coming with him. He's taking a lot of risks.

I agree that it is likely that the compound where the slaughter took place was just where the "muscle" of Negan's group lives.

Another possibility is that one of the women who have captured Carol and Maggie is actually Negan. I don't remember if anyone referred to Negan as a he or she. Additionally, the show writers have changed the gender of characters before. In the comics, the leader of Alexandria was Douglas Monroe. In the show, he was changed to Deanna.

The writers have already said they cast Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan (unless it's an elaborate red herring).

That would be really clever, and funny as hell because it would make the comic book purists ballistic.

Kinda goes hand in hand with my other hypothetical from last night about the writers completely diverging from the comics. It won't happen, but it would be kind of fun to shut down the "well actually, if you read the comics..." bunch.

Kinda goes hand in hand with my other hypothetical from last night about the writers completely diverging from the comics. It won't happen, but it would be kind of fun to shut down the "well actually, if you read the comics..." bunch.

To be fair to the show, they have diverged pretty majorly from the comics on some character arcs, from what I understand. Basically the major milestones are the same, The CDC, the farm, the prison, Terminus, Alexandria and Hilltop, but a lot of the paths are a little different. One comic book reader buddy actually says that he thinks the TV show is superior to the comics books, although he also points out that since Kirkman is so involved in the show it's sort of like he gets to redo the stuff he didn't like.

I think Maggie is going to get "neaganed" instead of Glenn. That will set up an interesting side story of how Glenn would view Rick and his plan to attack.

I wonder if they are planning on doing a Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead crossover. The timelines have to overlap at some point.

I wonder if they are planning on doing a Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead crossover. The timelines have to overlap at some point.

I always hate when they do shows within the same universe but act like the other show doesn't exist. They better do a crossover at some point. Since they are not beholden to the comics exactly it would be entertaining.

I always hate when they do shows within the same universe but act like the other show doesn't exist. They better do a crossover at some point. Since they are not beholden to the comics exactly it would be entertaining.

Supposedly those Flight X (don't remember the #) mini episode things that play on the commercial break are eventually going to lead to a crossover character between FTWD and TWD.

Timeline wise, unless Fear the Walking Dead has some pretty big time skips coming up, the main series is about 2 years ahead of the spinoff, so I suspect any connections will be tenuous at best, otherwise it would spoil the fates of characters on Fear the Walking Dead. From what I can find on Flight 462, it looks like the connection may just be that the kid and his absent mother were flying out of DC or Atlanta and the plane winds up heading to LA. The producers have said there is no crossover planned at this time.

I had no idea who they cast for the role. IMDB does have him as Negan, appearing episode 16.

Ugh, that means we have to wait to the end of the season. I was happy to see last episode storm the compound so quick instead of leading up to it with a few episodes, or focusing on another group or perspective like they have done before. Kept me guessing at least.

A few months ago we were discussing the idea of how many people are still alive on the Walking Dead; well someone actually went through and did some calculations to try to figure it out, pretty cool bit of work.

Calculating the Living on Walking Dead

OK, so how many walkers are still around? Surely many have been killed by the living, lots have had to fallen off cliffs, bridges buildings etc...impaled themselves, walked into the ocean/river or just rotted to the point that they are no longer a threat.

Is the ratio 100walkers- 100walkers -1 human? 1,000,000-1?

OK, so how many walkers are still around? Surely many have been killed by the living, lots have had to fallen off cliffs, bridges buildings etc...impaled themselves, walked into the ocean/river or just rotted to the point that they are no longer a threat.

Well, presumably 7.5 billion possible infections, 400,000 remaining humans.

Unless someone is factory dismantling walkers, more than likely there is still close to 7.5 billion zombies bebopping around. If there were a couple nuclear events in some of the biggest population centers you might cut that by a couple hundred million.

Purely spit ball numbers.

Killing people for food. Our group of heroes has become just as bad as everyone else.

No different that warring countries in recent centuries, or tribes thousands of years ago. Its about keeping your group safe, fed, and healthy at all cost. They are simply fighting over resources.

Well, presumably 7.5 billion possible infections, 400,000 remaining humans.

Unless someone is factory dismantling walkers, more than likely there is still close to 7.5 billion zombies bebopping around. If there were a couple nuclear events in some of the biggest population centers you might cut that by a couple hundred million.

Purely spit ball numbers.

Don't they just rot/decay over time until they are no longer mobile...or threatening?

Don't they just rot/decay over time until they are no longer mobile...or threatening?

Well we wouldn't still be watching the show if they decayed into non threatening heaps of garbage. Presumably they have very slow decay times so they'll be around for a long time. (Even after a year their bodies would be mostly mush, never mind any amount of time after that). Maybe spraying a horde of them with flesh eating bacteria is the way to roll.

being re-animated corpses, and decomposing, I would presume there would come a point where the muscles have deteriorated to the point where they couldn't support weight or movement. or their bones, if that's what enables them to move

but then, if a brain injury will kill them, you would think the brain should eventually decompose to the point of immobilization

so, it's a battle for time and a war of attrition

being re-animated corpses, and decomposing, I would presume there would come a point where the muscles have deteriorated to the point where they couldn't support weight or movement. or their bones, if that's what enables them to move

but then, if a brain injury will kill them, you would think the brain should eventually decompose to the point of immobilization

so, it's a battle for time and a war of attrition

I try not to think about the reality of it because then I can't enjoy the show. I always wondered why they try to eat you. It's not like a severed head can digest food to make energy for itself. Maybe it's just a survival instinct preprogrammed in the brain?

Oh that brings up a good point. Last episode, they had to find a Gregory head from a walker. Wouldn't that head need to be brain punctured?

I suspect that ratio is "whatever it takes for humans to still be thoroughly outnumbered". Near as we can tell, as long as the brain isn't destroyed the corpse keeps functioning in whatever limited state it can. Presumably, given what we've seen, there is some sort of other biological functions that is severely reducing the decay of the walkers as well. That said, it's a show/comic in which zombies somehow exist, and not in the parasite/fungus/virus/etc. takes over a living host way but in a dead person somehow magically standing up way. I'm not sure a lot of the rules of logic apply here, unfortunately.

That said, here's a (very) rough estimate of how many zombies are left, given what we've seen on the show. So, going by the video's numbers (which do have some fallacies, of course) we had 6.6 billion zombies when the 5,000:1 ratio was established. Rick and company have killed about 1,000 zombies up season 5 on screen according to this page, now it's worth noting I said "on screen", there are time skips and obvious offscreen kills as people fire rounds into a horde too, so I'm going to bump that up about 50% as a rough estimate of the true kill count, I'm basing this on it being a nice even number and the fact that presumably despite some fairly large jumps in time most of the action happens when we see it. Now, if I recall correctly (I can't find the numbers immediately), there were 1,500 walkers on screen for the Alexandria bonfire, which mostly catches us up on our kill count, giving us a total of 3,000 total walkers. During the negotiations with Gregory the number of Alexandria residents is pegged at 52, which I'll round to 50. Alexandria is probably roughly representative of the population at large, containing a large amount of people that are bad at killing zombies, some that are just okay, and a few (the main group) that are amazing at it.

Taking that all together, if we assume all of those numbers are vaguely correct, then we have a rate of zombie kill equivalent to roughly 60 zombie kills : 1 living person. Multiple that out by the 400,000 or so folks left as mentioned in the video and roughly 24 million zombies dead, but that doesn't put much of a dent into our zombie totals, basically moving it to 6.575 billion zombies left, or they're outnumbered 16,437.5 zombies to 1 living person. That said, I think figuring out a hard number is a bit of a fool's errand since there's just way too much we don't see of zombie life, we just get glimpses of it from our character's perspective.

Don't think about it. If you do you realize with no breathing, blood or heart beat no muscles will work.

What drives me crazy is the people not looking over their shoulders every minute. Why?

Don't think about it. If you do you realize with no breathing, blood or heart beat no muscles will work.

What drives me crazy is the people not looking over their shoulders every minute. Why?

Or instead of speaking face to face or in a circle, speaking facing away from one another. Speaking with known allies in an unsecured area there's no reason to continue speaking face to face(unknown entities and or known enemies of course you have to keep an eye on).

Find a commercial slaughterhouse and I bet you could start putting a serious dent in the zombie populations. Build up some cement or steel pens lead a horde into the pens, then start leading them up the gangway into the slaughter house. You could even remove the humans from it and throw one of those huge spinning chopper deals they use to turn whole cars into pea sized pieces of steel and let the zombies walk into that pit. I'm probably a serial killer for thinking of this.

A few observations:

We Are All Negan
The smoking lady (I forget her name) mentioned that "We are all Negan", and biker boy said something similar. It appears that "Negan" has indoctrinated his followers in a sort of "I am Spartacus" way to think of themselves as all being "Negan". Either way I doubt this is the end of the conflict between Alexandria and the Saviors. It's also worth noting that they had a sort of military hierarchy and organization, with different channels for walkie talkies, codes and multiple fallback points.

Carols Has...Doubts?
While a lot of Carol's nervousness was faked...some of it legitimately wasn't. It seems that Carol is having a bit of crisis of "faith" in her beliefs that it's all kill or be killed. Her hesitation to kill redhead leader lady and her eagerness to just leave seem odd given her previous actions, but I think this is a tempering that needs to happen if Carol is going to become anything less than a murderous psychopath. Towards the end of things it seems she might have figured it out, but we'll have to see.

I Can't Do This Anymore
Maggie's last line of the episode is pretty poignant, despite going all badass momma on cigarette lady, her statement that she can't keep doing this indicates just how much of a mental toll this is taking on her. It seems Maggie is going to move more towards being a civil organizer and negotiator...though how that works out for her we'll have to see.

3 Episode Left
We know Negan's coming in the last episode thanks to IMDB...but what happens in the next two episodes? Do we get some more scenes of Alexandrian domestic bliss and neighborhood tension?

It's just weird that earlier this season she was a freakin ninja hacking down Wolves like it was no big thing and now we all of a sudden have this Carol that is caring for people's lives?

I think the point was that when the redhead was describing her life and all the people she killed and how she stopped caring about it, Carol started to see parallels with her own life. She already seems to be reconnecting with her own morality vs just being a cold-blooded sociopath.

Back