The Stasis - A glycol system designed for homebrewers - Pre-Order now for $599

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Spike's cooling coil and tubing.How does the Spike insulated tubing connect to the Stasis? I can't tell it it's simple barbed connection or threaded on the Stasis. Will I need anything else, like flared connectors?
Barbed connectors. The tubing kit that I ordered with mine came with pipe clamps, so you may want some of them if you don't already have some.
IMG_20200321_115033.jpg

Just got my shipping confirmation today... I pre-ordered in late November/early December.

I placed an order for glycol in February with them as well. Have any of you received confirmations for accessories?

Just got my shipping confirmation today... I pre-ordered in late November/early December.

I placed an order for glycol in February with them as well. Have any of you received confirmations for accessories?
But did it actually ship? I got my notification Friday and it's now past the close of business on Monday, but UPS still doesn't seem to have the package. I guess I'm encouraged that you received a notification today since it at least suggests someone in a still working at Craft-A-Brew at present. It could be they're just printing labels but not slapping them on boxes. Dunno. Timing of this sucks.

20200323_085205.jpg

Working so far.

Don't be dumb like me and put it in beer before testing. I came down Sunday morning to the display reading "Err" but the Stasis running like a champ. Powered off, unplugged, reseated temp probe DB-9. When I powered back up the display flashed 192F followed by "Err."

I swapped the lines to the second side and used the other probe, and it was off to the races. Had cooled down to 55, so wrapped in an electric blanket for a couple hours to get the temp back up. Ambient in the house is such that it only kicked in once to keep it at my 65 set point.

Sent a message to Craft a Brew yesterday (Sunday) and first thing this morning there was an email to verify that the shipping address was the same, and a new probe is on its way.

Overall, it's a really nice unit and I'm very happy. Once this batch is done, I think I'm going to get some quick disconnects into the mix.

Has anyone ran into an issue of the control buttons not staying adhered to the unit? I just received my stasis and upon unboxing it has this issue. I tried to push it down but it keeps bowing up.

excuse the pollen on the unit. I inboxed during the middle of pollen season here in GA

Attachments

• C42162F0-2093-44A9-A6A0-D70BF6EE4871.jpeg
    C42162F0-2093-44A9-A6A0-D70BF6EE4871.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Has anyone ran into an issue of the control buttons not staying adhered to the unit? I just received my stasis and upon unboxing it has this issue. I tried to push it down but it keeps bowing up.

Yeah, I've got the same thing. After this ferment is over I'm going to hit it with some 3M snot tape to keep it tacked down while still being removable if necessary.

excuse the pollen on the unit. I inboxed during the middle of pollen season here in GA

You're not kidding. You can push the air around...

There’s adhesive, it’s just not sticking for a long period of time. I think when the temperature rises it causes the adhesive to weaken and allows the controller to bow up. I’m more worried about moisture getting below it and ruining the temp displays. I emailed craft a brew and will see what they say about it. Sounds like I’m not the only one with this issue.

I just got mine last friday, though the glycol which I purchased with is still stuck at the border (I'm in Canada). I should get it this week and will finally able to test it out. I too have the issue with the warped button panel.

My setup:

91177498_223680058908763_3819815618094301184_n.jpg

Well, I have been at work for the past week, so I haven't been able to test out the Stasis that arrived at my home. The unit arrived last Wednesday and was discovered by my Son, laying on its side. He moved it to the brewhouse and placed the package in the correct orientation. It's now Monday, and I unpacked the Stasis. Nice looking unit. The keypad is like everyone else has been experiencing, but no biggie.

Followed directions to the letter in setting the unit up to cool a test fermenter full of water. Let is run for an hour in a room that was 71 degrees Fahrenheit, came back, and no change in the temperature. Turned it off, waited the requisite compressor reset time. Then, I switched to sensor and port(s) #2. Turned it on, and set it to chill down to 40 deg Fahrenheit. Let it run 2 hours, and no temp change.

After the production and shipping delays, to have the unit not work, is quite frustrating.

Well, I have been at work for the past week, so I haven't been able to test out the Stasis that arrived at my home. The unit arrived last Wednesday and was discovered by my Son, laying on its side. He moved it to the brewhouse and placed the package in the correct orientation. It's now Monday, and I unpacked the Stasis. Nice looking unit. The keypad is like everyone else has been experiencing, but no biggie.

Followed directions to the letter in setting the unit up to cool a test fermenter full of water. Let is run for an hour in a room that was 71 degrees Fahrenheit, came back, and no change in the temperature. Turned it off, waited the requisite compressor reset time. Then, I switched to sensor and port(s) #2. Turned it on, and set it to chill down to 40 deg Fahrenheit. Let it run 2 hours, and no temp change.

After the production and shipping delays, to have the unit not work, is quite frustrating.
Well, other than an email yesterday from support, asking a single question, no solution has been presented.

Glad I decided to run a test run with water first. Looks like no lager brewing for me.

Signed,

Owner of an attractive boat anchor.

20200401_164613.jpg simple little trick for the button panel that always lifts up. Electrical tape to the rescue.

After having my eye on the Stasis unit for a while, I am glad I held off. Through all the delays in getting these built and shipped to the issues (however minor they are) that people are experiencing with their units so far.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the BrewBuilt IceMaster Max 2 chiller which is currently on pre-order. More power, all internal pumps and a similar footprint for $50 cheaper. Now I start my wait...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/brewbuilt-icemaster-max-2-glycol-chiller.html

After having my eye on the Stasis unit for a while, I am glad I held off. Through all the delays in getting these built and shipped to the issues (however minor they are) that people are experiencing with their units so far.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the BrewBuilt IceMaster Max 2 chiller which is currently on pre-order. More power, all internal pumps and a similar footprint for $50 cheaper. Now I start my wait...

Yeah, I've been less than impressed with the service and support. You'd think a company would try and actively rectify problems, especially ones like, the unit doesn't work. Been 3 days now since I last heard from support.

I'm strongly thinking about trying to ship it back (good luck while on lockdown) and ordering an Icemaster Max 2 instead.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I looked at them before but both ice masters 100/max4 were way more than what I needed. this looks like a good option set up for two vessels. should be well sorted out

Thanks for the heads up on this. I looked at them before but both ice masters 100/max4 were way more than what I needed. this looks like a good option set up for two vessels. should be well sorted out
That's why it stuck out to me. I rarely, if ever, have more than two beers fermenting at once. I was actually going to go with the Max 4 and then noticed the 2. Perfect for me and my setup.

Anyone find the Stasis to be incredibly loud?

Yes, big time!!!!!

I was finally able to test out my Stasis and I too was surprised at how loud it was when I powered it on for the first time. I remember reading on their kickstarter page that one advantage of the Stasis over a DIY AC converstion, was that it was much quieter. I don't really think it is quieter than an AC..

Giving it a test for crash cooling temps with 6 gallons of water inside my 7 gallon Unitank. I can't get any lower than 4.7c (40.4f) when setting it up at the lowest setting (36f)
20200402_203421.jpg

Hey @birzzz ... you say "the coldest setting" and 36.
Is 36 the coldest you can set the overall machine? Or 36 is the coldest you can set each pump too?

Because, and i don't the know sciencey math to back it up, there has got to be an equation for the max amount of cooling one can get from 36. Say 4 degrees? 3 degress? 5 degress? Etc.

Hooked mine up to a CF-10 with the cooling coils. I initially set it up so glycol was going reverse through the coils (spike guide lines) since I wanted to try to drop it as low as I could to test time then realized I should break it in easy. But didn’t switch the flow of the coils, to be honest. So backward coils for the first part of data.

Yup, I’d say the machine when initially running it’s second fan is comparable to a AC Unit.

74 starting temp. Took 1hour to get 6 gallons of water in a CF-10 (Not all coils touching water so that’s a factor) to 60 degrees. Once at 60 the machine was MUCH quieter when turning on.

60 degrees to 40 degrees took 3hrs.

I do have the neoprene jacket for the conical if that makes a difference for anyone.

All in all it’s my first step away from SWAMP COOLERS and I’m not mad about the results or product. If I’m chilling my wort to 75-80 and need to drop it to 68 to pitch that wouldn’t give me a heartache. Im now able to do Lagers, super plus for me since I’ve never even tried due to my equipment.

Those are just my experiences so far with water.

....All in all it’s my first step away from SWAMP COOLERS and I’m not mad about the results or product. If I’m chilling my wort to 75-80 and need to drop it to 68 to pitch that wouldn’t give me a heartache. Im now able to do Lagers, super plus for me since I’ve never even tried due to my equipment.

Those are just my experiences so far with water.

Not a very strong endorsement. I hope it works out for you.

Hey @birzzz ... you say "the coldest setting" and 36.
Is 36 the coldest you can set the overall machine? Or 36 is the coldest you can set each pump too?

Because, and i don't the know sciencey math to back it up, there has got to be an equation for the max amount of cooling one can get from 36. Say 4 degrees? 3 degress? 5 degress? Etc.

the lowest setting you can configure it to is 36f (2.2c)

My comment was that setting it up at that temperature, the reading on the fermenter never went below 40f ishh. So even if you set it up at 36f it will never reach 36f. That was apprehended anyway, since there is obviously heat loss on the fermenter and the neoprene jacket is not the perfect insulation.

here are the results of my initial tests:

start temp: 81f
took 2 1/2 hours to get to 40 ishh.

I will brew my first lager this weekend, will post any relevant comments.

Cheers!

Yeah, I've been less than impressed with the service and support. You'd think a company would try and actively rectify problems, especially ones like, the unit doesn't work. Been 3 days now since I last heard from support.

I'm strongly thinking about trying to ship it back (good luck while on lockdown) and ordering an Icemaster Max 2 instead.
Support finally got back to me, and were very apologetic. Apparently, they're working with about 1/2 their regular staff. Already have shipped me a new unit and the return slip for the bad unit. We'll see how this one works out.

Anyone find the Stasis to be incredibly loud?
Yes! This is my biggest complaint right now. Mines in my basement and I can hear it upstairs whenever it kicks on.

Definitely wouldn't recommend The Stasis for the apartment brewer.

Hooked mine up to a CF-10 with the cooling coils. I initially set it up so glycol was going reverse through the coils (spike guide lines) since I wanted to try to drop it as low as I could to test time then realized I should break it in easy. But didn’t switch the flow of the coils, to be honest. So backward coils for the first part of data.

Yup, I’d say the machine when initially running it’s second fan is comparable to a AC Unit.

74 starting temp. Took 1hour to get 6 gallons of water in a CF-10 (Not all coils touching water so that’s a factor) to 60 degrees. Once at 60 the machine was MUCH quieter when turning on.

60 degrees to 40 degrees took 3hrs.
Assuming your ambient is around 70, so neglecting heat gain/loss to ambient, 14 degree Fahrenheit times 6 gallons divided by 1 hour is 14*5/9 Kelvin *6*3.8 liters * 1kcal/liter/Kelvin *4.2 joule/calorie / 3600 seconds = 200 Watt cooling power.

I got mine a little over a week ago. No issues and running great so far. I will say that the buttons on the control panel are somewhat ... unresponsive. They just aren't crisp if you know what I mean. Nonetheless the thing works great. I haven't tried crashing or lagering with it yet though. Dry hopping my beer tomorrow and Ill be crashing it in it next week. Using a spike flex + fermenter and spike temp coil with it

I got curious, so I went ahead and bought a decibel meter.

From 3 feet away, the Stasis reads 69 dB. From 3 inches away, my kegerator reads 46 dB. Background noise in my apartment is ~40 dB. Insane.

One selling point in the Craft a brew campaign that made me back the project was this:
stasis claim.jpg

I can tell you, now that I have the unit, that this claim is anything but true.

..... I will say that the buttons on the control panel are somewhat ... unresponsive. They just aren't crisp if you know what I mean. Nonetheless the thing works great. I haven't tried crashing or lagering with it yet though. Dry hopping my beer tomorrow and Ill be crashing it in it next week. Using a spike flex + fermenter and spike temp coil with it

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but you say "the thing works great" but yet haven't tried crashing with it. Also, you mentioned the buttons were somewhat unresponsive.

So, why do you believe it "works great"?

First time today. Filled with the glycol mix. The question is do you need caps on circuit 2 if you aren't using both? I left those rubber caps on and put hose clamps on them. Buttons work fine. If it's noisy I'll just put it in the back room since I now have temp control. Next I'm getting quick disconnects that seal off when disconnected.

20200404_233829.jpg

20200404_235030.jpg

Last edited:
OK what's the trick to sliding the tubing into the insulation tubes? Took me an hour to do the first set.

I have emailed the support for the excessive noise. I do not only hear a constant noise, but I hear a lot of rattling. Here I have uploaded a couple of videos so you can hear it for yourself:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UaKVY9FCASgkCc4y5

as for the level of noise, it is around 75db from 6 feet. When the unit is not running , it is between 35db-40db in the room.

Even if it's noisy, I don't think the rallting is normal. Does it do the same for you guys?

We'll let you know what support has to say.

It's not loud. No rattling at all. birzzz definitely rattling isn't normal. I would pop the cover... something probably just needs to be snugged up.The fan is making sound
but it's all fan noise. I don't think the compressor makes much sound at all. The fan sound is consistent not annoying. With that said, for me, it doesn't matter anyway as this unit now allowed me to move my fermentation to my back hobby room. I was keeping them in our rec room which has it's own heating/cooling. But it's also our home theater area. I don't want ANY sounds in there. The controls work fine. It's keeping both within a degree.

The best part.... once your fermentors are at temp the thing almost never runs.

Back