The slow "stain" to Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny9

Reaction score
Please pardon the "this is my first xxx, I am worried about yyy, should I do zzz" thread.

I have my first lager (an Octoberfest) in primary (just completed 2 weeks). I am using WLP-820 yeast with a 1 gallon starter. I have been taking a few gravity samples to try and time when to do a D Rest.

My OG was 1.052. After 17 days, I am down to 1.032. Fortunately, I read the reviews of 820 and was cautioned that this is a very slow strain (otherwise I would be really freaking out). I was planning to execute a D-Rest for 48 hours once I got down to the 1.026-1.027 range.

But considering how slowing this guy is fermenting, I am wonder if the D-Rest should also be lengthened and if so by how long?

Any thoughts on this??

BTW: I kick off my starter at room temp, then cooled and pitched the whole thing at 48 deg F. I have managed to hold ferm temps in the 48-50 deg range by placing the fermentor in a cooler filled with water in my garage.

And boy, do the gravity samples taste good:rockin:

thanks in advance!

if thats my beer I'd wait until the gravity is where I want it, let the sample warm up, taste for diacetyl and decide then if it needs a rest, which it very well may.

That seems like long time to only get down to 1.032. I'd raise the temp a little bit (low-mid 50's). Does it still have krausen? Is this in a glass/plastic carboy where you can see the sides? If so, has the yeast started to settle/stick on the grooves in the sides of the carboy? These questions are trying to find out if the yeast is slowing down/stopped.

That seems like long time to only get down to 1.032. I'd raise the temp a little bit (low-mid 50's). Does it still have krausen? Is this in a glass/plastic carboy where you can see the sides? If so, has the yeast started to settle/stick on the grooves in the sides of the carboy? These questions are trying to find out if the yeast is slowing down/stopped.

I am using plastic buckets, but from taking samples (i.e. removing the lid), both fermentors (its a 10 gal batch) still have a foamy top, but it is beginning to fall back. You can see the protein "ring" around the top of the bucket and the Krausen is still present but below the ring.

I still have some airlock activity but it is less than 1 bubble per minute. Should I raise the temp and perhaps gently shake to rouse the yeast? Or just be patient?

Sounds like the yeast is petering out. I would raise the temp and would do it ASAP. Rousing couldn't hurt. Maybe a yeast energizer tablet if you have it but I doubt you do.

I'm not sure if you even need a D-rest since you pitched cold but I would up the temp just to try to get the yeast to finish the job.

Sounds like the yeast is petering out. I would raise the temp and would do it ASAP. Rousing couldn't hurt. Maybe a yeast energizer tablet if you have it but I doubt you do.

I'm not sure if you even need a D-rest since you pitched cold but I would up the temp just to try to get the yeast to finish the job.

took your advice yesterday and raised the ambient water temp (in cooler) to 54 deg F. I also gave each fermenter a good rousing (gently). Got immediate airlock activity from the off gassing, but I am pleased to report that 24 hours later they still humming along at 4-5 bubbles per min. Seems like the yeast are back on the job. I will take another gravity reading in a couple of days.

cheers:mug:

Great! It seems if you catch them early enough they'll wake up enough to finish but if they go past a certain point, not so much. The extra airlock activity could be just offgassing due to the increased temp but now that you've increased the temp and roused it just let it go for a bit and monitor it.

Latest posts

Back