The pigcowturduckenguica!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That came out so much better than I thought it was going to. I thought some of the meat wouldn't blend well or wouldnt be cooked right. Sweet lord no... It was nuts. Still in pig coma.

Youtube vid to be posted in a few days.

As you can imagine, it KILLS me to heap praise on my boy like I'm going to do here but I have to hand it to the lad, he hit it out of the park. The entire thing was great.

Here comes Cleopatra being carried by a bunch of hungry guys. That's FrankW in front, and Homebeerbrewer (Rick) in blue in the back. Not helping. Just standing and watching. Like usual. Big surprise there.

1295819319.jpg

The whole enchilada on the porch ready to be brought inside. They had just stopped so we could drool for a bit.

1295819009.jpg

So we bring it inside an set it on the table. Someone says, "We should let it sit for a few minutes to let it settle and juices to go back into the meat." Everyone agreed that that was a good idea so we counted to 10 and then tucked in. 10 guys standing around a table with forks in their hands, sometimes not even bothering to use the forks, just tearing into the pork. We've pretty much worked our way down thru the loins here and have struck ribs.

1295819220.jpg

I've never seen an open chest surgery performed on a pig before. Here the surgeon has removed a few ribs and is reaching inside to pull out a duck or something.

1295818909.jpg

And now the feeding frenzy REALLY starts. It was like a school of sharks with blood in the water. Kind of like when your kid finally gets a solid shot at the pinyta, all the candy comes falling out and the kids scramble for the stuff that's falling to the ground. Fortunately the meat was so tender that no-one was using a knife because there was a real possibility that someone could have had a hand cut off in the flurry of action. Remember in Dances with Wolves when the Indians finally scored a couple of buffalo and just went into a Bacchanal orgy of eating and celebrating? Ya, that's what yesterday was like.

1295819146.jpg

Solid work, Cape. I guess I have to be nice to you for the rest of the week.

PTN

(taking a short bow). Ahthankyou.

On a half serious note... An like i was saying above... I was kinda shocked at how good it was (apologies for patting myself on the back). All of the meat was fantastic and everything worked really well together.

I really thought the whole thing was going to be an abomination of meat obnoxiousnous.... But eff that... It was insane.

I am absolutely scaling this up for the big pig roast this summer.

It was in the ground a good 13 hours. I really didnt expect it to take that long but I think the -3 degree weather overnight had a lot to do with it. I was pysched thoigh because, even with that long of a cookig time, nothing dried out at all. It was crazy moist and tender.

The final construction ended up being:
- homemade andouille sausage
- wrapped in linguica
- wrapped in chicken
- wrapped in duck
- wrapped in turkey
- wrapped in beef short ribs (a great call)
- wrapped in a pig

I brined the pig for three days, the turkey for about 15 hours amd the chickens and ducks for about 6 hours. I tossed the turkey (a 15 pounder) on my smoker for about 40 minutes with really heavy smoke just to get some flavor into it.

I took all of the meat off the birds before warapping everything and used mt favorite dry rub on the ribs.

So... In the end, it was a pigcowterduckenlingdouille.... Which... I think rolls off the tongue nicely.

I think it was asked before, but I don't recall seeing the answer: where/how do you brine a pig for three days?

I think the word epic can no longer be used; as there is nothing to top this effort....

:mug:

I have a cooler that fit it. Its a big cooler. I added ice and then put the thing out in my garage which never got warmer than about 35 so it stayed chilled no problem. Plus... With the amount of salt in the brine i was not worried about it "going bad" by any stretch.

The real question (and we started discussing it last night) is how I'm gonna brine the big 240 pounder over the summer. I have ideas.

PTN's Utopia mash tun?

Eff that... I dont wanna stuck brine.

I have a bunch of left over inch an a half extruded foam board insulation. I am just gonna build a basic frame out of 2x4s, line all sides with the insulating board, line the inside with 6mm plastic an then fill it with brine and a big pig. I'll to keep feeding it ice but no biggie.

I am thinking it'll take a solid five days to properly brine

I'm so bummed out... I finished the video documentation of this whole thing last night and then uploaded it to YouTube but YouTube was doing some sort of server maintenance. I checked this morning and the video isn't there.

DAMN IT!! I'll have to load it back up tonight.

Bird, you need to make this a sticky. It attained that level of awesomeness, it deserves enshrinement. I'm honestly jealous of my boy, this sort of monumental excess is normally something that I do and it kills me that he beat me to it.

PTN

I ain't a mod anymore. The only "stickies" I can make these days are in Boneyard threads.

Outstanding. Apparently, you guys south of Boston are good for something.

It did not suck in any way... The garlic in the pig brine was perfect. The smoke on the turkey was perfect.

I can't wait to scale it up to about 250 lbs for my big summer pig roast.

LOL... yeah, I was saying that the other day... can you imagine how horrified vegans would be at that video?? Christ... I almost offended myself with that idea.

Perhaps for your summer event, you should stuff the whole thing inside a Vegan.

Perhaps for your summer event, you should stuff the whole thing inside a Vegan.

I don't hate the concept...

I keep kinda thinking I wanna one up this for the summer cookout but I think scaling up to 250 lbs is one upping enough... and, to be honest, I don't wanna &%*( it up. It was really good and I don't want to ruin it.

It sounds great. I need to drag myself south one of these days.

The most daring (and mythical) stuffed critter feast I have read about is in "The International Squid Cookbook," which describes a giant squid in a 40' long by 20' high brick oven, built for the occasion. "Grain lined the cavity of the squid - first rice and then cracked wheat - each layer being some five feet thick. Nestled in amongst the grains were ... veal sweetbreads, ... a series of viands which had been partially cooked by spit-roasting and then finished inside the squid: skylarks with lemon sauce, quails surrounded by eggplants, pigeons stuffed with capers, and rabbits with pine nuts. A variety of larger birds followed. Chicken, geese, and ducks, each roasted to a golden brown and accompanied with appropriate fruits.... A whole kid goat stuffed with pudding.... Next came a haunch of venison covered with a delicious apricot glaze. ....squares of meat aspic.... The boiled meats and stews were finished off inside the squid. Bulgur and millet surrounded the boiled meats. First, breast of veal, followed by a goose boiled Lombard style accompanied by sugar and cinnamon. A poached milk-fed calf... its flesh so tender and pink as to almost defy description. Stewed pigeons with mortadella sauce and fricaseed breast of goat."

Now you have something to shoot for.

Uhh... not sure if I'm totally confortable with that...

:mug:

Wait until mid July when I post the video of this same stuffed pig... only it'll be the 250 lb version.

Back