the only noob question never asked - really

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Have been perplexed by this result. Brewed AG kit Amber Ale as first AG. Mash temps were high at 160 and although original SG into primary was on and fermentation seemed good, the FG was slightly off. IT IS THIN - LIGHT BODY WITH MINIMAL MOUTHFEEL EVEN AFTER FORCE CO2 TO KEG. Did look at notes and had 7.5 gallons into BK and 90 minute boil to 6 with 5 into primary. HERE IT COMES - THE ONLY NOOB QUESTION NEVER ASKED -- can you dilute your beer into light body??? If I had boiled it down to 5 not 6 no matter time taken would I have a fuller beer regardless of the high mash temp etc??? This beer makes no sense to me otherwise because the fermentables should have been higher and my numbers were good otherwise. Looking for Yoda type answer here. Please help. thanks, doc

In which direction was your FG off: high or low?

Were you supposed to have 6g end of boil? Boiling down to 5g would make it less light, but then your SG should've been higher than expected.

Ok, 7 isn't too much to go into your boil kettle for a 90 min boil. With standard evaporation rate you should have gotten close to 5 or 5.5 gals. What are you using to heat your boil kettle? Your evaporation rate is under causing you to end up with too much liquid and that makes your SG low and your body too thin.

eschatz,

Yoda, is that you?? High pressure propane heads to heat. Are you saying what I want to hear and that is the reduction in volume POST boil would have given me that body Im looking for??? NICE!!! THANKS, DOC

Latest posts

Back