The latest wild recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
The recipe is wild but the beer is using Safale 05...

The last beer I brewed with 05 turned out good but I think this time I'm going to use carbon filtered water. Last time I simply let a long boil do the work. Some say tap is fine but I think my best tasting have been from the carbon filter.

So here is the recipe.

4.5LBS 6 Row
2.5 Special B
2.5 Rauch Malt (Note this is the Weyerman which is the most spicey but less bacon like of the commercially avaliable malts"
2.5Pale Chocolate Malt
half pound Carafa Malt

Now for the fun part...
1/2LB dried Elderberries
2.5 ounces dried elder flowers
couple sprigs of fresh yarrow with flowers in tact

1 ounce Pacific Gem Hops
1 ounce Sticklebract Hops

I only brew with new zealand hops. Every beer that has used New Zealand hops have gotten good feedback and many people ask "What hops do you use."

This is a never before tried recipe. I hope to achieve a tartness from the elder and a spicey character from the smoked malt and high alpha hops. All herbs and spices will be boiled. The Elder will also be boiled. I will use half of each hop for bittering and half of each hop for the aroma addition.

I have been asked on multiple occasions which hops I used for dry hopping. It should be noted that I don't dry hop. There is a mythical hyperbole that I often tout regarding New Zealand hops. The oil content is just superb. One thing I'd like to recommend is using the New Zealand Aroma hop like RIwaka for bittering and then use Pacific Gem for Aroma.

You'll be surprised that the higher alphas can do wonders to aroma.

Have you tried Peat Smoked Malt. It's a lot more powerful than Rauch Malt, but has a very different characteristic. If you used it, you would only want about 0.25 lbs.

Make sure the elder-flowers are fresh, otherwise you will may 5 gallons of cat pee.

Back