The "I'd nevervdrink that if it were ALL that was available" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, have a general rule to not drink anything that comes in green bottles. My exception is Jameson Irish Whiskey. No beer in clear bottles except Modelo Especial.
Interestingly, I've never had a Heineken that was remotely enjoyable, but I regularly drink Grolsch in green bottles and have never had a single bad one.

The trouble with a lot of the beers in clear or green bottles, is that those bottles are often trademark/trade dress. Corona and Newcastle will never change their clear bottles, nor will Heineken, Grolsch, etc. change their green ones. A few, like Miller High Life, use a modified hop extract, so the skunk precursors are not present. But for die-hard Corona drinkers, that skunky flavor is a feature, not a bug.

The first time I had Heineken from a can in Europe, I couldn't believe I was drinking the same beer.

If I walk into a liquor store with bright fluorescent lighting (especially if it's lighting the coolers), I'll try to buy canned beers, or bottled beers in enclosed cartons. Even amber bottles let in some UV, and over time, those can get skunked. And if you are unfortunate enough to choose the sixer that's been sitting on the shelves a while, you'll be enjoying some Pepe Le Pew brew.
I didn’t realize Miller used any hops at all. Could’ve fooled me.

So, just curious l, what are some beers that are so bad you would rather drink water than drink that beer?
I'll start with Schlitz. As a teenager we'd rather drink Mad Dog 20/20 than Schlitz. We used to call it a different name made by removing the L from the name, and fir good reason as that's what you got when you drank that stuff. Another non-favorite is Milwaukee Beast, I mean Best.
Not sure why the hate on Schlitz. Every younger person seem to have the same impression. I feel it is a great representation of one of the original commercial German American lagers. I enjoy it. If only option to choose bud light or Coors light would be top of the list.

Not sure why the hate on Schlitz. Every younger person seem to have the same impression. I feel it is a great representation of one of the original commercial German American lagers. I enjoy it. If only option to choose bud light or Coors light would be top of the list.
I don‘t mind it either. Bowling alley near my house has it on tap. $8 pitchers on some nights.

Pumpkin beer. Any of them. They’ll be all over the shelves any day now if they’re not already.

Gueze. Makes me wretch. My wife called it dirty sock beer.
I see your gueze and raise you… gose!

I can appreciate a well-made sour, especially if it’s Belgian. But, sour and salty, especially the variety that was briefly (thankfully) popular among hipsters in the US, HELL NO!

I‘m sure pumpkin can make good beer additive. But there is no pumpkin in pumpkin spice. And I’d rather stay away from the spice in any form other than an actual pumpkin pie.

Looking back to original post, I have to ask; is there any other potable alcohol available? If choice is only bad tasting beer(but technically drinkable) and decent water, there are times I'd have to hold my nose and drink the beer, whatever it was. If good wine or spirits were available, that's another story.

That said, I recently tried a coors light left at house, two sips and dumped the rest. I'd prefer to skip pumpkin or any other "flavored" beer as well.

If I recall from my juvenile delinquent days, me & my buddies thought schlitz malt liqueur (look out for the bull) was better than colt 45, the only two logical choices in our minds at the time. Used to give one of the dudes hanging out by the strip mall liquer store $10, and we would get a case and he would get enough to buy some night train or thunderbird. ...And off we would ride on our bicycles in the snow for some wholesome good times....

Rauchbier is undrinkable to me. Also any beers with nonstandard beer ingredients like peanut butter, peppers, Cap'n Crunch, doughnuts, pumpkin etc. are nasty. Especially pumpkin. How do people drink this s**t?

Last edited:
And what are your attitudes to non-alcoholic beer? It seems to have caught on in parts of Europe, at least by the amount of shelf space devoted to it in supermarkets. I stay away. If I can't drink alcohol for any reason, I'll drink something else.

Rauchbier is undrinkable to me. Also any beers with nonstandard beer ingredients like peanut butter, peppers, doughnuts, pumpkin etc. are nasty. Especially pumpkin. How do people drink this s**t?
Then again, define "nonstandard." I'll likely agree with most of the examples you'll mention (though I haven't tried peppers and I'd be interested in seeing the result), but I've tried a few "non-traditional" additions, like tamarind, cashew (fruit, not the nut), açaí, that piqued my interest! And again, IMO the nasty thing about the "pumpkin spice" is the spice, not the pumpkin!

I hope this doesn’t generate any anger, but anything described as hazy and juicy. I love IPAs but I can just add some milk to grapefruit juice and get similar results.
Easiest question ever posted... I would never try another West Coast IPA, hands down. To me, WC IPA is NOT beer.

Then again, define "nonstandard."

Seems like there is an ever increasing group of consumers that will put most anything in beer to make it not taste like beer anymore. Heck they have even found a way to take the beer taste completely out of beer. I’m one of the remaining few that still likes beer flavored beer.

This was a good idea and makes for an interesting read. There's a small handful of beers I wouldn't drink even if they were free:

1. PBR - I call PBR 'Murky Water'. Really no need for further explanation.
2. Carton Gilded Lily - This is from a local brewery. It's a Belgian tripel with white truffles. No exaggeration, this beer smelled and tasted like vomit. This takes the cake for the worst beer I've ever and hopefully will ever have.
3. Source Brewing Source of Wit Blueberry - This is also from a local brewery. It's a Belgian Wheat with blueberry. I'm all for blueberry anything. This was all kinds of no. Unless I had a bad batch, I have no clue how anyone approved this to be canned and sold. PBR sounds like a breath of fresh air compared to this.
4. Coors - This was the first beer I ever had and I was instantly not a fan. To this day, I can't drink Coors.
5. Miller High Life - I wish I could drink these. My wallet would thank me. There are ridiculous deals for buckets of bottles and pitchers of Miller High Life pretty much anywhere you go.

Rauchbier is undrinkable to me. Also any beers with nonstandard beer ingredients like peanut butter, peppers, Cap'n Crunch, doughnuts, pumpkin etc. are nasty. Especially pumpkin. How do people drink this s**t?
Not ALL peanut butter beer has an overpowering PB flavor. For example, Tailgate has a pretty drinkable PB stout that really only has a peanut butter aftertaste and isn't "in-your-face" peanut butter

While I can't argue anyone's personal tastes and aversions.....I think I see a list of people's least favorite beers and styles as opposed to something they really wouldn't drink if that is all there was forevermore. I dislike a lot of beers but eventually I'd get thirsty and learn to love them :)

While I can't argue anyone's personal tastes and aversions.....I think I see a list of people's least favorite beers and styles as opposed to something they really wouldn't drink if that is all there was forevermore. I dislike a lot of beers but eventually I'd get thirsty and learn to love them :)
Maybe to some degree, but I honestly would rather drink water or some other libation than a Milkshake IPA. Unlike a lot of youngsters, I don’t drink to get drunk, so if it‘s A Milkshake IPA or nothing, then I’m out.

Seems like there is an ever increasing group of consumers that will put most anything in beer to make it not taste like beer anymore. Heck they have even found a way to take the beer taste completely out of beer. I’m one of the remaining few that still likes beer flavored beer.
Yeah. It's called "Light beer." Or almost anything BMC makes

Although I can say that I would likely become more tolerant or open to trying to drink a sour if that is my only beer option for the foreseeable future, I reject the premise to say that I would ever love it. If you feel that you could learn to love it I am happy for you (and a bit jealous), but my heart is not so easily swayed.
I will draw a parallel to pizza here, because it is a food that I am nearly as passionate about as I am for beer. I was raised on the East Coast and my pizza looks a very specific way: round, with a thin doughy crust that is 1/2-3/4 inch devoid of sauce and cheese, and this is then cut into wedges (New York style). Simply put :🍕
20 years ago, I moved here to Columbus Ohio, and found that "pizza" (at least as it is locally defined) is much different. This transcends toppings, base sauces, the manner in which the toppings are layered, or even the thin crust/deep dish debate.
Columbus pizza is a round pizza that is on a very thin crust (some almost cracker'y like a deep dish crust but without the deep dish depth and structure), there is little to no bare crust left on the edge, and it is then cut into 'squares'?!
I eat this abomination that they try to pass off as pizza, but I know the difference between this and GOOD pizza. I have yet to find a square cut pizza that I love. I have found that Tommy's is probably my 'Least Objectional Option' if I must have a square cut, but it only rates as a good over all pizza in general.
Circling back to beer, I will try just about any beer once, but if it is a pumpkin brew, I will doubt that I will ever grow to love it--even if it is the only beer style that I will ever have access to again.
I have known true love in other styles, and my pallet will forever long for their return to touch my lips with their soft, wet embrace...

I'm very open to beer styles but any beer that pours chunks of adjuncts or the package has to be rolled to mix in the adjunct before pouring is a hard pass to me. I've suffered both.

Where I'm from in Canada there's a kind of beer that only teenagers drink to get drunk called Wildcat. I tried it a few times when I was a teenager when it used to be 8% ABV. Now I think it's 6% or something. Me and my friends all thought it tasted horrible, but had good times the few times we drank it.
When I was a teenager the Chinese guy at the convenience store had no problem selling us 3.5$, 1.18 liters, 7% beer. That and a bit of weed was all we needed. The big Fred even drank two bottles one evening. Puked on his cigarette pack.

36fa7488b8a1612324cefdb746afd085_640x640.jpg

Rogue Brewing produced a Maple Bacon ale a few years back. When you opened the bottle, it smelled like breakfast, so was kind of excited to try it. After sampling the beer, the taste was like I had just licked an ash tray that hadn’t been cleaned in years. Needless to say, we didn’t finish drinking the bottle.

When I was a teenager the Chinese guy at the convenience store had no problem selling us 3.5$, 1.18 liters, 7% beer. That and a bit of weed was all we needed. The big Fred even drank two bottles one evening. Puked on his cigarette pack.

View attachment 744731
When I was a teenager and we wanted to get drunk it was either Mogen David (aka Mad Dog) 20/20 or aschlits ("sh!ts") Malt Liquor.
You couldn't pay me to drink either of those again

I have had good and bad examples of many styles of beer, and so far the only one I've found undrinkable was victory brewing's sour monkey. I opened the bottle, took a swig, immediately spat it in the sink and rinsed my mouth out with water for several minutes. It is like drinking chilled vomit. I would die of thirst before I'd ever take another sip of that stuff.

Most IPA's, any Belgian beer (unless I'm in Brussels). And most US Oktoberfest beers.

Back