The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HASSLI! So much win!

Seriously, the Cascadia Cup has been pretty interesting. That's definitely up for Goal of the Year.

In Gold Cup related business, tomorrow the Yanks play Guadalupe... they have to win to move on to the quarter-finals. I'm confident our squad can handle Les Gwada Boys, there's so much talent in every position (especially now that Altidore and Agudelo have been clicking and working well together.)

Also, I'd still love for Sam's Army or The American Outlaws to designate a minute (maybe 87' or 88') to sing "America the Beautiful." If it's sung at the slow pace it's meant to be sung at it would sound reeeeaaally nice in a stadium, especially at the crescendo where it gets super loud at "A-MEEE-RI-CA, A-MEEE-RI-CA."

Epic-tastic

EDIT: I can't really tell how drunk I'm appearing to be, because, well... I'm drunk :drunk:

If you live in Nevada, Northern California (especially the Sierras) or Southern Idaho and have access to any Ruby Mountain Brewing Company beers, you must get some Angel Creek Amber Ale. One of my favorite beers ever and in my opinion the spot-on example of an American Amber Ale. It's right up there with Great Basin Brewery's Ichthyosaurus IPA (lovingly known as Icky IPA... "It's Not Yucky, It's Icky!") It's amazing. Suck it, everybody who doesn't live in Northern Nevada :D

The team better bring it tomorrow against Guadalupe and get back on track. I want nothing less than a 3-0 victory. And that probably won't be satisfying.

@Reno:

You're making that Ruby Mountain Beer sound pretty good. Unfortunately we don't get them down here in LV. Maybe there is a reason to travel up north after all....:mug:

If you live in Nevada, Northern California (especially the Sierras) or Southern Idaho and have access to any Ruby Mountain Brewing Company beers, you must get some Angel Creek Amber Ale.

I'll ask around about it... I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it in the Boise market, and our local beer guy is pretty good at getting what he can.

@Reno:

You're making that Ruby Mountain Beer sound pretty good. Unfortunately we don't get them down here in LV. Maybe there is a reason to travel up north after all....:mug:

Aw that's a bummer. I can get it at the Raley's 5 minutes from my house, as well as on draft at SWMBO's restaurant.

To both you, Dreg, and dwarven_stout:
If you know of stores that regularly get out of market and small-town beers ask them to start getting Angel Creek. It's out of an area near Elko called Clover Valley, Nevada, 89845 (reading off the label of the beer I'm drinking right now :D)

Otherwise, get your arses up to Reno and hit up Wild River Grille and ask for a pint of Angel Creek. That place is definitely the best restaurant in the downtown area, plus it's got a gorgeous view as it's right on the Truckee River.

YAY!!! Yanks play tomorrow against Jamaica. I just hope Donovan and Dempsey will be back from their siblings' weddings in time.

On a side note, I found an awesome derp-face from El Tri. So here's a fun new game: Capture the Soccer Image!

chicharito-guardado.jpg

Zombie Chicharito: "Braaaaaains!....... Also, nice shot."

So it's been a crazy week for the USMNT. Donovan off the bench for 2 straight games, a Freddy Adu apprearance(aside from some indecisiveness I think he played well and added a good spark off the bench), and some better defensive performances. I'm really revved up for the final on Saturday. Mexico hasn't looked as strong in the knockout rounds as they did in the group stage. I would still have to admit that Mexico should be considered favorites in the final. Overall they possess much more dynamic players and will most likely have the edge on possession and generate a few more chances than the US. But, if the US can remain organized on D and aggressive on O I think this will be a very good game that they are more than capable of winning.

Yeah it's going to be nuts on Saturday.

But speaking of nuts, how 'bout that Adu pass?! I didn't think he still had it in him!

Yeah it's going to be nuts on Saturday.

But speaking of nuts, how 'bout that Adu pass?! I didn't think he still had it in him!

But the real question is: was Landy shooting or passing?

And speaking of Adu and passes- someone needs to tell Bradley jr. that it's ok to actually take a shot once in a while.

But the real question is: was Landy shooting or passing?

And speaking of Adu and passes- someone needs to tell Bradley jr. that it's ok to actually take a shot once in a while.

To the Bradley comment, it may not look great immediately but that puts the "Hey, I'm a serious team player!" in Bob's head.

As for Landy Cakes, I'm pretty dang sure that was a pass. It was moving at a 90-92* angle from LD and he struck it with the inside of his boot. I'd say pass :D

To the Bradley comment, it may not look great immediately but that puts the "Hey, I'm a serious team player!" in Bob's head.

As for Landy Cakes, I'm pretty dang sure that was a pass. It was moving at a 90-92* angle from LD and he struck it with the inside of his boot. I'd say pass :D

Agreed on it being a pass, but my buddy was likewise convinced it was a wide shot that Deuce happened to have his classic positioning to pick up.

The serious team player takes that shot that Bradley didn't take, though. In the WC I faulted him a couple times from shooting darned near the touchline rather than dropping it off for LD and Dempsey running in, but this was the opposite- Adu dropped that ball in and he had the goalie as out of position as he could have, but drops it off instead. I dunno. I think the guy is ok, but I can hardly wait till we have Holden back to run some of that attack.

The serious team player takes that shot that Bradley didn't take, though. In the WC I faulted him a couple times from shooting darned near the touchline rather than dropping it off for LD and Dempsey running in, but this was the opposite- Adu dropped that ball in and he had the goalie as out of position as he could have, but drops it off instead. I dunno. I think the guy is ok, but I can hardly wait till we have Holden back to run some of that attack.

Agreed... he's got to take that shot. He's got the ability to put enough pace on the shot that, as long as the shot is on net, it's either going in or, with the keeper being out of position, is at best giving up a rebound shot from right in front of the net.

Saturday's game will be good. It'll be interesting to see how we come out at the beginning of the game. If the US is aggressive and connect on their passes, they should be able to create some good scoring opportunities (Honduras showed on Wednesday that a couple of good passes can break down the Mexican D... they just couldn't convert...).

Anybody watching LA vs. San Jose? Three keepers in one half for the Galaxy. Alas, a dull game.

Holy ****. This is not at all what I was expecting.

Edit: ok, ok... this is more what I was expecting.

Edit 2: That game was over as soon as Bornstein came on for Cherundolo.

I only got to see the last 20 minutes (work), but that goal by Dos Santos in the 76th... WOW.

God, I hate those bastards. Maybe even more than I hate the University of M*ch*g*n. The red hot passion of a 1000 suns.

So disappointing....almost like a deja vu of the collapse against brazil in the confederations cup final. And I couldn't agree more that bornstein coming on was the nail in the coffin for the US. Where was Spector? How can a guy that can't get any time for Tigres play over a guy that is a borderline starter for West Ham? And how funny do you think the Mexicans thought it was when a substitute that can't touch the field in their domestic league came on for us? Each goal either came directly from him getting beat, or developed from his side because he couldn't force the ball the proper direction and diffuse the attack. Where you at now Reno? Still gonna back your boy?

Aside from that, Mexico did look good and deserves a lot of credit. That Dos Santos goal was nasty stuff.

Honestly the only positive I take from the game for the US is that Freddy Adu played well and showed some of the stuff that was originally expected of him. How he can't find a decent club to get time with is beyond me, but I hope he does well in the next couple years and regains some of his previous swagger.

This was a very frustrating match.... well, no. The first 30 minutes was elating!

I was disappointed but I didn't cry like I did after the Ghana World Cup match. Yes, I'll admit it.... I wept for my nation.

Very frustrating match. Bornstein sucked and Adu played very well, showing a lot of skill on the ball.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed when Bob took Cherundalo out seeing has he has been spectacular this tournament.... looked like he was limping after a set piece. But then I was stoked that Bradley was sending out the Jew-Love with Bornstein.

.... but then he has to go a look terrible *sigh.*

And yes, mother-effin Adu! I nearly **** a brick when he got the call-up since he dropped off the radar a loooong time ago. But after he subbed in against Panama he's be great! It's also very weird to talk about him like this... it's almost like I was talking about a 35 year old who got the call-up for the first time in a decade. But I guess that's what happens when you burst into the MLS Scene at the ripe age of 14.

Anybody been watching the U-17 WC? I'm watching the Brazil v Ivory Coast game right now and just saw Ivorian Souleymane Coulibaly score his third goal of the game on a bike. And his other 2 goals were nasty finishes as well. He had 1 against Australia, 4 against Denmark, and now 3 against Brazil after 60 minutes.

Did anybody watch the thrilling RSL v Revs match on Monday? If so I'm sure you caught this when RSL tied it up :D

338469092_medium.gif

I just watched a documentary called "Once in a Lifetime" on Netflix. It's about New York Cosmos. Very interesting. Worth a watch if you have Netflix.

Kreis still has the fire in the belly, eh?

This might be the most spectacular goal of the year here:

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an awesome goal by Nagbe.

Fun fact: Mike Magee could make that shot, too.... while playing 'keeper. #MikeMageeFacts :D

Anybody catch Sporting KC vs Colorado today? Rapids keeper Pickens comes up HUUUUUGE in stoppage time. I tried to make the posted video start at the play but it didn't work out. Just go to 5:13 for the awesomeness. As a keeper myself I kinda flipped out when I saw it live :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good save. Best moment last night was Jeff Cunningham's last-gasp game-winning goal. And not just because it gave my team the win - it pushed Jeffro into a tie for all-time MLS goalscoring lead, and broke a tie he had held with Brian McBride for something like 7 years for the Crew all-time goalscoring lead.

HOLY CRAP! Big match today!!

PORTLAND TIMBERS vs SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC
Sunday, July 10th at 1:00pm PDT on ESPN and ESPN3.com

If you scoff at MLS or have been looking for an excuse to get into domestic soccer I'd HIGHLY recommend watching the Portland v Seattle match today. Also, if you're any kind of soccer fan in general you should tune in.

While it's not a traditional derby, it certainly has the feeling of one. JELD-WEN field already has a fantastic atmosphere with 1500+ Timbers Army members singing their asses off. Now add 1000+ Emerald City Supporters and you're looking at what could be an instant classic, regardless of what happens on the pitch!

But speaking of what's going on today on the pitch, it's anybody's guess as to who will win... that's the beauty of derbies. Seattle have been surging with a strong defense, quick counter-attacks and the ability to score often on corners. Portland, while sunk back quite a bit on the table, are likely going to see some strategic changes from Manager Johnathan Spencer (does anybody else think his accent is just f**king adorable? No, but seriously, he's a great manager.) They have some scrappy forwards that can get the work done... they just need to control the midfield and prevent the short-pass-happy Seattle from possessing too much.

CAN'T WAIT! Got a keg of Centennial Blonde that just finished carbing so now I have the excuse and the means for day-drinking. YAAAAAAAY!

Also...

HOW 'BOUT THEM MOTHER-F***ING U.S. WOMEN TAKING DOWN BRAZIL?!?!?!

It's about time Abby Wambach showed up... and it was right on time.

Yeah. Hope Solo (whom SWMBO and I are convinced is Han Solo's daughter) should have had that heroic PK save. Shame.

Also, I'm soooooooo rooting for the Timbers today. Love the kits. Love the fans. And Seattle has been a thorn in LA's side for the last couple seasons and they're getting to close to the G's on the Western Conference table. They need to go down.

EDIT: Plus, I hate to see expansion teams struggle. Just once I'd love to see and expansion team explode out the gates. But it's cool, Rose City still have half a season to climb the table. Also, Philadelphia are looking f***ing stellar on their sophomore season, so they're hope for next year if Portland doesn't make it to the postseason this year ;)

Definitely catching the NW derby today. And rooting for Seattle and my UNLV brother Lamar Neagle.

On a side note, congrats to the US ladies for the victory over Brazil. Great game that completely renewed my faith in the soccer gods. The US totally deserved to win the game after all those **** calls. Oh yeah, Brazil way to abandon the Joga Bonito. Terrific job flopping around, complaining, and faking injuries. A special congrats to Daiane for her terrific own goal and PK miss. Maybe if her own keeper was in the net she could have converted.

Definitely catching the NW derby today. And rooting for Seattle and my UNLV brother Lamar Neagle.

See I'm confused about that. I know that UNLV, like Nevada, is a Title-9 school and doesn't have an official NCAA soccer team. Like Nevada, their team is just a club sport. Impressive he was able to be picked up from the college-equivalent of second-tier soccer.

Back