The homebrew house of my dreams... is 30 days away!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am super stoked.
The below photo is a separate outbuilding on our new home we just purchased.
It has it's own HVAC, full bathroom and water heater. 650 sq. ft.
We are going to turn this into a brewhouse/tasting room.
Can't believe this is happening!!

house.jpg

hopefully you don't 'get in trouble', and sent to your room! :D
That could be a good thing!... there will be plenty of beer in there.
I'll have to reach out on here and see how others ventilated while brewing. Maybe all I need is an oven vent..not sure if that is strong enough to pull out the steam.

That's awesome ! Dont know what your equipment is but I saw a guy had what looked like an oversized dryer hose that connected to a fan that was routed through the wall . Looked like it did the job and really inexpensive. Congrats on your new house . Get some pics as the brew room progresses.

Much better set up than I have! Thought about a separate building, but just going to use my in-law suit. I use gas so it’s the porch for boil till I get the right ventilation.

I can see why you are so excited! Congratulations!

Btw, what is that tree creature attacking your roof?

I wonder if this building was originally a Girl Scout "little house"? Not common today but there used to be some Girl Scout local councils that had what were called little houses as meeting places. There was one in a town I lived in almost 50 years ago. Sort of a scaled up playhouse or scaled down small house.

I wonder if this building was originally a Girl Scout "little house"? Not common today but there used to be some Girl Scout local councils that had what were called little houses as meeting places. There was one in a town I lived in almost 50 years ago. Sort of a scaled up playhouse or scaled down small house.
I've seen a couple houses with buildings like this used as offices. It doesn't really look like it, but it could have also been built as a 1 car garage based on how close it is to the street/alley there.

I've seen a couple houses with buildings like this used as offices. It doesn't really look like it, but it could have also been built as a 1 car garage based on how close it is to the street/alley there.

I thought of a garage, too, but the walls are pretty short (only about 6 1/2 feet). Of course, both people and cars were a lot smaller 80 years ago.

Okay so I did the math wrong... :oops:
it is 14x26 or 364 sq. ft.

My brew space is about 13' wide by 6' deep, or 78 sq feet. Add a little more storage in the basement for grains and bottles and such (probably 36 square feet) and my brew operation takes up....114 sq feet.

I'd think 364 sq feet would still be plenty for a brew space plus a taproom. I'd love to have that much... :)

My brew space is about 13' wide by 6' deep, or 78 sq feet. Add a little more storage in the basement for grains and bottles and such (probably 36 square feet) and my brew operation takes up....114 sq feet.

I'd think 364 sq feet would still be plenty for a brew space plus a taproom. I'd love to have that much... :)

It's a dream come true.
Brewed on the covered back porch for many years...pretty tough in the winter!!

I am super stoked.
The below photo is a separate outbuilding on our new home we just purchased.
It has it's own HVAC, full bathroom and water heater. 650 sq. ft.
We are going to turn this into a brewhouse/tasting room.
Can't believe this is happening!!

View attachment 617958
My son bought a house with a sizable outbuilding, and I am trying to convince him to do some upgrades, and make a nice brewery.

Last edited:
Looks like it might have been a small mother-in-law house. Changing table will come in handy for storing small stuff! Super jealous as well. Can't wait to see the transformation!

Looks like it might have been a small mother-in-law house. Changing table will come in handy for storing small stuff! Super jealous as well. Can't wait to see the transformation!
In the 1960's it was built as a small beauty salon. It was in operation for 30 years or so until the lady of the house retired.
Mid 90's they redid everything for a place for their grandson to stay while attending Indiana University...thus the bathroom, shower and tiny kitchen.
After that it has basically been unused.

iamwhatiseem, I’m a plumber, if I were you, I’d yank that shower out and put in a high wall mop sink and a mop T&S mop sink faucet. Save your back cleaning corneys if you use them.

Unless it’s also a backup dog house like my brew area....

Just my opinion....I'd rent a floor sander and get rid of the residue and stains from whatever tile they had, and would stain/color and seal that cement floor. That would look sweet with whatever future decor changes you make.....which I realize are probably WAY down the road since the main house has to take priority :( This is awesome! I picture a nice bar area inside, and a patio area outside. Party's over, lock-up and worry about cleanup later, since it isn't in your house.

I can see where @OpenSights is going with the mop sink, but a shower can be nice to have - just adapt a hose to be able to do all of that. You might have a sweaty brew day, or want to shower after doing something really dirty and just sit and have a beer (without tracking inside the main house. Bonus points for a shower beer.

Last edited:
I can see where @OpenSights is going with the mop sink, but a shower can be nice to have - just adapt a hose to be able to do all of that. You might have a sweaty brew day, or want to shower after doing something really dirty and just sit and have a beer (without tracking inside the main house. Bonus points for a shower beer.
Keep the shower, put your taps through the shower wall. Huge drip tray, and endless shower beer!

The Mrs and I have an offer out on a house. The basement has a "workshop" that's finished drywall with 9' ceilings. I'm estimating it's about 40' x 14' and it's all mine to do what I wish with. It's got everything I need except 240V outlet for eBrewing. If we get the place (bit of a bidding war going on), I'll run the 240 and put in a dedicated brewing room / man cave. I'll be able to store everything, brew, ferment, and clean all in one dedicated space.

It has two windows and an exterior door. It would be a fun project if it works out.

Just my opinion....I'd rent a floor sander and get rid of the residue and stains from whatever tile they had, and would stain/color and seal that cement floor. That would look sweet with whatever future decor changes you make.....which I realize are probably WAY down the road since the main house has to take priority :( This is awesome! I picture a nice bar area inside, and a patio area outside. Party's over, lock-up and worry about cleanup later, since it isn't in your house.

On the the floor that is exactly what I was planning, I like the industrial look of stained concrete...plus the bonus of super easy to clean up spills.
And you are also correct about the timing. There are stuff the wife wants done to the main house, and that comes first. :/

Since we all get to kibbitz here....

I brew in the back of my garage. Other than more room, the one thing I wish I had was a trench drain. Do you have any floor drain anywhere?

Of course, all that depends on how your floor is sloped, if it is at all. See @jayway 's floor above. No trench drain, but a center drain.

Back