The homebrew house of my dreams... is 30 days away!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is awesome and you'll have a ton fun building it. I've been down that road and turned 1/3 of a barn into a dedicated brewery on my dads property. Only took 5 years for us to complete! It's about 44'x12'

View attachment 623698
View attachment 623699

Great-looking setup!

Above the sink it looks like you have some sort of sprayer device on a long hose. What is that? Where'd you source it?

Also--point-of-use water heater on the wall?

Great-looking setup!

Above the sink it looks like you have some sort of sprayer device on a long hose. What is that? Where'd you source it?

Also--point-of-use water heater on the wall?

Thanks! It's a food grade sprayer I picked up years ago and I'm actually looking to replace it. I couldn't tell you where I got it but the water pressure on it stinks, I need a gun style sprayer.

And that's a propane instant water heater which works great.

Demo time!!.... finally able to get started. A lot of work ahead...
IMG_0510.jpg

The door you see to the left of the outside doorway is a small bathroom...really small, like 4' x 4'.
I am thinking of making that my fermentation room. Put up some extra insulation on the walls and put in a small room air conditioner.
Any thoughts/experience/advice on that?
Thanks

I’ve never tried anything like that, but you will have to be damn sure you get it sealed up air tight or you will have condensation issues. Especially if you are going to lager or cold crash in there. In wood frame and gypsum board construction that runs a high risk of growing mold.

The door you see to the left of the outside doorway is a small bathroom...really small, like 4' x 4'.
I am thinking of making that my fermentation room. Put up some extra insulation on the walls and put in a small room air conditioner.
Thanks

Do you actually want that much space at a single fermentation temperature? I know I wouldn’t. A walk in refrigerator has always sounded good to me until I really thought through it.

Thanks

I would recommend using that room to store your grains, bottles, kegs, and supplies so if it gets messy you can just shut the door.

I’ve never tried anything like that, but you will have to be damn sure you get it sealed up air tight or you will have condensation issues. Especially if you are going to lager or cold crash in there. In wood frame and gypsum board construction that runs a high risk of growing mold.

Hmm...hadn't though about that, not sure why I didn't since everytime I ferment in the chest freezer I have to clean out all the "sweat" off the interior walls. Need to study up on that.
Thanks

Thanks

Cool bot has some good info on their website about that.
https://www.storeitcold.com/brewing/
Lots of info on there about building a cooler and what to use.

A few updates, laying the floor today. I chose a waterproof laminate. Definitely not the cheapest option, but the moisture issues with the concrete slab limited my picks and I absolutely hate laying tile..so I went this route. It looks really good, I think it will work great.
Last weekend I actually brewed the first beer in here. The tiny ex-bathroom works great for a fermentation room using a window a/c. Even with the 90+ heat this week it kept the room at a consistent 60 degrees. I insulated pretty well around the window so moisture was not a problem so far.
After the floor I will put stainless corrugated 3' panels on the walls and trim it out. I also bought one of these -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072R35MVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for building my own venting when brewing and a 30" mixing bowl for the top. Got that idea from another thread here. I'll put pictures up of that when done.

Here's the floor.... cheers! :mug:

IMG_0540.jpg

Last edited:
Flooring is done with exception of trimming out, I am going to go with 3' corrugated metal around the wall and then decide what to do with the upper part of the walls.
I want to brew this weekend so I am hooking up some venting. Got the idea of using a commercial mixing bowl on a thread here...what a fantastic idea! And then bought a 390 cfm inline duct blower to push out the wall. It looks to be a good blower, adjustable,,I doubt I will ever use the full 390.
Trying to figure the best way to be able to place it over the kettle, and then also be able to move out of the way (I BIAB so I use a hoist to hold the grain bag while draining).
I have suspended it with some small chain and see how this works.

IMG_0556.jpg

Trying to figure the best way to be able to place it over the kettle, and then also be able to move out of the way...

I had the same issue. I used the bowl as a vent hood and an in-line fan to pull moisture out and needed to be able to move it out of the way.

To solve this I ended up going with an articulating TV mount attached to the wall with the bowl attached to the TV mount. There was some minimal modification to the TV mount, but nothing major.

Then when I needed to move the vent hood out-of-the-way I could just push it aside. It works amazingly well honestly.

Here is I ended up buying: Mount-It! Full Motion... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011CK15PA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Here’s a link to the thread with pictures so you can see what I mean.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?posts/8410082/

I had the same issue. I used the bowl as a vent hood and an in-line fan to pull moisture out and needed to be able to move it out of the way.

To solve this I ended up going with an articulating TV mount attached to the wall with the bowl attached to the TV mount. There was some minimal modification to the TV mount, but nothing major.

Then when I needed to move the vent hood out-of-the-way I could just push it aside. It works amazingly well honestly.

Here is I ended up buying: Mount-It! Full Motion... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011CK15PA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Here’s a link to the thread with pictures so you can see what I mean.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?posts/8410082/

That is a good idea, and looks pretty good too.
If the chain idea I have is cumbersome I will do the same, I believe I am a little farther away from the wall than you are, but it should be fairly easy to rig up an extension of sorts.

That is a good idea, and looks pretty good too.
If the chain idea I have is cumbersome I will do the same, I believe I am a little farther away from the wall than you are, but it should be fairly easy to rig up an extension of sorts.

The other idea I had that I was initially going to go with was a unistrut trolley. Google it. :). If you put some flexible duct on the end with the fan attached to the trolley (perhaps using your chains) you could just slide it out of the way. Just attach the unistrut to the ceiling above your brew pot an make it long enough to be able to slide out of the way of the BIAB pulley. Works no matter how close or far you are from a wall.

Lots of options.

The other idea I had that I was initially going to go with was a unistrut trolley. Google it. :). If you put some flexible duct on the end with the fan attached to the trolley (perhaps using your chains) you could just slide it out of the way. Just attach the unistrut to the ceiling above your brew pot an make it long enough to be able to slide out of the way of the BIAB pulley. Works no matter how close or far you are from a wall.

Lots of options.
Whoah....

No more pics yet, but a note. I am brewing today, and the mixing bowl vent system works great.
Last time I brewed without it, and despite window a/c unit running continuously the temp in the brew house was 94.
Today, it is currently 73 degrees outside and the temp in the brew house is 76.
Anybody looking for a cheap option to vent....this works perfect!

Just now beginning the "dress up" fun stage... I wanted to post up how I am venting.
Getting the idea from a fellow member here of using a large commercial mixing bowl as a hood vent... this is how I am venting.
Works great!

IMG_0773.jpg

This is the outside vent, It has petscreen on the inside to keep wasp/bugs out. Wanted it to look as appealing as possible rather than a big ugly metal vent piece.

IMG_0774.jpg

Very nice.
Are you planning on sticking with the freestanding burner or are you going to upgrade later on?
Propane / NG or electric?
Tables and chairs, taps, TV, etc.

That is a piece of tile underneath it.
I have a woodstove hearthpad coming Thursday

have you looked under it yet? and good idea! (but i got a nasty burn mark on my linouleum, under a 1500 watt hot plate, even on top of a piece of sheet metal, why i thought of it)

And how are you mitigating the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning when using the propane burner inside the small house?

for what has the title of something happy, i feel this is apropriate.....(sorry if it's not)

I hope you get it all worked out!! :mug:

Very nice.
Are you planning on sticking with the freestanding burner or are you going to upgrade later on?
Propane / NG or electric?
Tables and chairs, taps, TV, etc.
I have a table and chairs now, also a fridge. We have put some stuff on the walls, going to build some shelves... and yes add a TV and couch.
I have a chest freezer ready to go, I have not yet done the conversion for taps.

have you looked under it yet? and good idea! (but i got a nasty burn mark on my linouleum, under a 1500 watt hot plate, even on top of a piece of sheet metal, why i thought of it)
It's fine... I guess I don't understand. You can put your hand under it when lit... it is not that hot under the burner

And how are you mitigating the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning when using the propane burner inside the small house?
Uh... perhaps you don't see the giant silver hood vent?? That thing vents extremely well. Also have 2 window AC's running during brew time. One doesn't keep up with the heat.
During the cooler months I open a window. The negative pressure created by the hood vent more than pulls enough outside air in to vent any amounts of CO

Other side with table.... and the fridge using as fermentation chamber.
The walls/floor are done.
Now comes fun part of dressing up... still want to put up either corrugated metal or floor paneling halfway up the wall.
Get some cool light fixtures etc.

IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg

Keep the shower, put your taps through the shower wall. Huge drip tray, and endless shower beer!
How can i like this post more than once? Super-Duper like?

Edit: to @iamwhatiseem thanks for the update. This was a fun thread to read. Maybe for the rest of us who have dreams but no space (yet!) keep track of what you would NOT do again? Pitfalls, etc. In addition to all thoose beautiful after shots as well!

Thanks!!

Uh... perhaps you don't see the giant silver hood vent?? That thing vents extremely well. Also have 2 window AC's running during brew time. One doesn't keep up with the heat.
During the cooler months I open a window. The negative pressure created by the hood vent more than pulls enough outside air in to vent any amounts of CO

Oh I see the hood....I'm glad you got it figured out.

First order of business, in my opinion, is a good sound system to ease the burden of restoration somewhat.
Right now it is a GBoom Bluetooth speaker... pretty decent speaker, but not exactly a sound system

Back