The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my new Lloyds 14" cutter pan, so tried my hand at DKM's Pizza Inn clone cracker crust last night. Made the dough Saturday afternoon in the food processor then did a 24 hour room temperature rise. Rolled it out with a rolling pin, tucked it in the lightly oiled pan, docked it with a fork, topped it, then baked at 475F for 12-13 minutes or so. It turned out thin and crispy, but not as "crackery" as I would have liked, but this is a first attempt. Amazingly dry dough, but was workable after the 24 hour waiting period.

After mixing in the food processor
DKM PI 1-1.jpg

Balled up and in a bowl about to be covered
DKM PI 1-2.jpg

Rolled, cut to the pan, and docked
DKM PI 1-6.jpg

Out of the oven
DKM PI 1-8.jpg

DKM PI 1-9.jpg

P.S. I got a Detroit style pan too!! Stay tuned :)

First run on my Christmas present.
IMG_7694.JPG

Used my usual NY style dough that I always thought was good but suffered from lack of heat in the oven
IMG_7692.JPG

IMG_7693.JPG

Pleasantly surprised by the results. 30 second cook, spin 180 and then 30 more seconds. Chewy, thin and a bit of crisp. The inside of the dough was so light, moist and fluffy

IMG_7695.JPG

IMG_7696.JPG

The second one was good but way to smokey, wife wouldn’t eat it.

I have some fire management skills to learn with this but overall the first go was a success. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

View attachment 662867

Used my usual NY style dough that I always thought was good but suffered from lack of heat in the oven
View attachment 662868
View attachment 662869

Pleasantly surprised by the results. 30 second cook, spin 180 and then 30 more seconds. Chewy, thin and a bit of crisp. The inside of the dough was so light, moist and fluffy

View attachment 662870
View attachment 662871
The second one was good but way to smokey, wife wouldn’t eat it.

I have some fire management skills to learn with this but overall the first go was a success. Anyone have any tips or tricks?
Can't help with the fire management, but awesome new oven and the pies look great!

@applescrap, Thinking about making some dough to have in the fridge to use for impromptu pizza.

Does this looks similar to the recipe you use for your 5min artisan bread you use for making pizza?

Ingredients
675 g lukewarm water
1 Tablespoon dried yeast 20ml
1 Tablespoon crushed sea salt flakes 20 ml
910 g bread flour

Instructions
To make the dough
1 Weigh the lukewarm water into a 4 litre container.
2 Stir the yeast and the salt into the water, ensuring that there are no large lumps of dried yeast remaining in the water.
3 Weigh in the flour.
4 Stir gently until the flour is incorporated.
5 Cover the container loosely with a lid to allow gasses to escape.
6 Allow the dough to rise at room temperature.
7 Once the dough has flattened and started to fall it is ready to use.
8 If not using the dough immediately store in the fridge for up to two weeks.

Yikes, where have I been. I love the wood fired oven! Yeah I read those pellets can Have some astringency but I am sure you will find out the perfect balance. On the plus side that thing looks like it gets really hot and makes some great pizzas.

@ba-brewer yes something like that. I have friends who bought a 4 qt and they have reported it's not big enough. 6 qt would be the better container ime. Yeah that's the spirit impromptu pizza. I don't have a scale so I have to give you the recipe and you'll be able to match. It's 3 cups water 6 and a 1/2 cups flour one tbsp yeast and I have found 1 in a 1/2 tablespoons salt is a good number. Yes I make it the way you described minus the stir gently. I should get that danish dough stir tool at this point. Basically just make sure all the flour all the way around is incorporated. I have been making batches so long I can tell what I want by looking at it. If it needs more water or flour I just add and stir up. I do this very rapidly. For example we got home at 7 o'clock the other night and I made this loaf of bread, this huge pizza, and made a fresh batch to put the fridge in a manner of 30 minutes or so. I make bread, I make pizza and then I repeat the process so there is not a whole lot that goes into it. The longer it sits it takes on sourdough. I love having dough on the ready, calazones, bread, pizza, c rolls etc...

This pizza came out great. It was huge and it had a really meaty spaghetti sauce on it. It was my mom's leftover pasta sauce from the other night. Man it made a nice pizza and reminded my wife and I that garlic is missing from ours.
20200122_203640.jpeg
20200122_184623.jpeg

Thanks @applescrap. Your recipe matches a different recipe I found on mother earth news that calls out 6 cups water, 3 tbs salt, 3tbs yeast, 13 cups flour. I am pretty sure that was the recipe I made about 10years ago.

It made a batch of dough yesterday. The mother earth news recipe seemed a bit wet at 85% hydration so I used the ratios I mentioned earlier which is closer to 75% hydration. I used 750gm of water, 1000gm flour 18gm salt and 10gm yeast. Globbed off 3 250gm chunks to make a couple pizza. The cold dough seemed workable sill, but will see what happens in an hour or so.

This is my conversions, 1cup of water = 125gm, 1cup flour = 236gm, 1TBS = 17gm, 1TBS yeast = 8.4gm.

Excellent rise on your loaf of bread, very nice.

Thanks again.

Your welcome appreciate it, that is the master recipe doubled. Yep its wet, and it needs someone with all of our skills to work with it warm. That loaf is from 10 day dough. I bought a 6 qt on amazon and put a small hole in the lid. So I shut lid after making and then toss in fridge. 2 hour rise or so. Buy yeast in bulk at Sams as well as flour. When we go on vacation I make batches in ice bucket, whatever is big enough. Need to cover hole after a few days, but I never do. Look forward to seeing where you go with this. I ended up buying the book which is filled with variations, I dont try them but want to.

So had a bit of a hard time forming a pie. Think the dough was missing the gluten structure I am used to in my kneaded dough. It did not want to stretch in my hands without busting a hole. On a floured surface a little better but did not want to get to thin. That seemed to be OK with the wife and daughter they liked the thicker crust. Was nice to not have to wait for the initial ferment. Pizza were cooked on a pizza steel then transferred to the pan. Maybe add some sugar and or oil to aid browning next time.

FXMH2993 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1624 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1628 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1631 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Caution rambling ahead

Man do I love this dough. I have also been using diastatic malt powder at a tsp per cup of flour. I stopped for this last batch because it really softens the crumb. I get about 18 rolls or 12ish big rolls per batch. I make them all at once Saturday morning. Used to scoop now eyeball. Put together just right on parchment. I adjust the salt down for cinnamon bread. I roll out real quick on parchment with canola oil to 11 in x 9 in or bigger for more spirals and then spread 1/4c sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon and roll up and tuck ends under. Put in bread pan and make bread for breakfast. Not too much sugar for the kids breakfast.

I use less salt and make the c rolls. Depends on how you like them, but decadent is half batch or so rolled out with canola oil and gloves on (no mess) I spread a stick of butter and then sprinkle at least one cup sugar mixed with 2tbl ceylon cinnamon on the butter.

When I roll, I roll and stretch ends as need keeping tight square and ends together. Cut to desired size. I have prefered big lately. Put together in cake round with parchment. I flip them upside down when they come out and frost or glaze them.

I use the dough for calazones. I make a pizza on parchment spread with best olive oil I can afford. Top just like real pizza, necessary for me to get ratios right, and then fold sandwiching calazone between folded parchment sheet. Press edges. Dock top five times with fork and bake. I make breadsticks A LOT. Bake broil whatever, have with dinner. I stretch the breadsticks sometimes, and other times I make a pizza spread with evoo, dock. Cook. Spread butter and garlic when it comes out and cut the sticks with pizza cutter. I make boule for dinner, gifts. Reach in, grab a piece make a quick gentle ball and let sit or dont. Man do I love this dough or what. My daily sandwich is a roll with smoked ham and tillamook from sams. After zapped in microwave these sandwiches are super good.

Using this dough for wood fired pizza has been a pita.

Tldr- I love this dough and its versatile. The hearty bread balances sweetness in c rolls make exquisite rolls imo.
20191226_180948.jpeg
Screenshot_20191225-101103_Gallery.jpeg
20191224_120625.jpeg
20191207_150005.jpeg

I made this NY style pepperoni pizza for dinner on Saturday. Tried a different recipe for the dough (see link below if interested). The recipe says you're supposed to get the dough temp to 80-85 deg. I got impatient and stopped at ~76 deg. put it in the refrigerator for ~24 hours for a slow rise like the directions said. It came out really good but not as fold-able as I was shooting for.

link: https://www.pmq.com/recipe-bank/new-york-style-pizza-dough/

20200125_191733.jpg

Pizza made from last night with 4 day cold fermented dough. Very tasty.

One thing I have never been happy with is a pizza sauce, to me a good sauce makes the pizza that much better. All the recipes I have tried online I have not been impressed with. Is there a go to sauce in the forum somewhere? Or can someone point me to a good one online?
20200128_173129.jpeg
20200128_174220.jpeg

Is there a go to sauce in the forum somewhere? Or can someone point me to a good one online? View attachment 664155View attachment 664156

@CTS - I don't know where you live, but in my area (SE Michigan) I buy Mutti brand pizza sauce which is made in Italy. I've tried several brands but for me it's the best. I don't know if you can find it online or not but one of the supermarkets around me sells it. It's the only one I use.

https://www.mutti-parma.com/au/products/sauces-pizza/pizza-sauce-classic

One thing I have never been happy with is a pizza sauce, to me a good sauce makes the pizza that much better. All the recipes I have tried online I have not been impressed with. Is there a go to sauce in the forum somewhere? Or can someone point me to a good one online?
I've never written down a recipe - just add stuff till it tastes right - but I noticed a huge improvement when I started using Kirkland Organic Tomato Sauce. It is nearly as thick as a paste, incredibly rich and still in my budget. I've never tasted another sauce that compares. I doubt I will ever buy another brand now.

Last edited:
You can get the maximus ovens in the US apparently which are copies of the PP, or at least the smaller one is. No gas option or saputo floor though, so you would have to source them separately if you wanted that.

Hey, that looks familiar!

20191229_153350.jpg
20200101_192617.jpg

Funny story, there were two similarly-shaped but different sized boxes under the Tree-Rex this year.
I had gotten us the Pro and she'd gotten me the 3 and a bag of pellets...I think we'll be laughing about that one for years.

First off, I love this thing. I can't wait until it's not winter so I don't have to cook in the dark. So far done a mix of charcoal and wood and twice with pellets. I think I'm finally getting the hang of pellets, which were previously foreign to me.

The key to pellets is getting a strong start and not letting that fire go out by adding pellets too soon. And especially don't shake the tray, or poke at the pellets with a stick since it'll allow the fire to shift rearward and you'll screw up the airflow and make temp control a royal pain. Ask me how I know...

If you don't have one already, an IR thermometer,even a cheap one, really helps. Especially in the early stages of learning the oven.

A handling hint I picked up from one of the Ooni videos is called, "hovercrafting." Lift up an edge of your dough a bit, and blow under. It'll float your pie a bit and you can give it a little shake and you're sliding free again. I've started doing that every time, right before I throw, and it reduces the danger of the toppings making it into the oven while the crust chickens out and stays on the peel.

Anyone have a good recipe for dough with AP flour that can be made the same day?

Also, any good recipes for sauce you'd care to share?

Is anyone making the mozzarella fresh?

Thanks, it is soo good. About to make some more in a few minutes. These are shots from the last. Its pretty much the only type we eat right now. I dont like it too stiff I am finding, a nice fold what I have been favoring. Pics dont do it justice, chewy, thin, and folded, its become our favorite. Heres a few more for perspective. My attempts to get an even thin pizza of this size by hand were unsuccessful, ymmv. Its huge slightly bigger then the steel thrown with half sheet pan. Hope you give it a go!
That's the perfect buy by the slice and fold to eat type they sell it in big cities, I need to master that type
Screenshot_20200207-173927_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20200207-173914_Gallery.jpeg
20200131_171826.jpeg
20200131_171815.jpeg

Hey, that looks familiar!

View attachment 664993 View attachment 664994

Funny story, there were two similarly-shaped but different sized boxes under the Tree-Rex this year.
I had gotten us the Pro and she'd gotten me the 3 and a bag of pellets...I think we'll be laughing about that one for years.

First off, I love this thing. I can't wait until it's not winter so I don't have to cook in the dark. So far done a mix of charcoal and wood and twice with pellets. I think I'm finally getting the hang of pellets, which were previously foreign to me.

The key to pellets is getting a strong start and not letting that fire go out by adding pellets too soon. And especially don't shake the tray, or poke at the pellets with a stick since it'll allow the fire to shift rearward and you'll screw up the airflow and make temp control a royal pain. Ask me how I know...

If you don't have one already, an IR thermometer,even a cheap one, really helps. Especially in the early stages of learning the oven.

A handling hint I picked up from one of the Ooni videos is called, "hovercrafting." Lift up an edge of your dough a bit, and blow under. It'll float your pie a bit and you can give it a little shake and you're sliding free again. I've started doing that every time, right before I throw, and it reduces the danger of the toppings making it into the oven while the crust chickens out and stays on the peel.

I’ve not had good results with pellets feeding unless I give the hopper a few taps every so often

The hover craft trick I’ve also found to be key, regardless of how you are cooking!

Going to fire it up tonight for another run

I’ve not had good results with pellets feeding unless I give the hopper a few taps every so often

The hover craft trick I’ve also found to be key, regardless of how you are cooking!

Going to fire it up tonight for another run

Tried messing with the screw that adjusts the hopper angle? I've not touched mine, but maybe a few turns to increase the angle a touch?

Last go-round after my previous post, I tried paying special attention to feed level and keeping fuel behind the fire. If I was looking down the chute at coals I’d drop in a couple of pinches of pellets, let it settle for about 10 sec, another pinch, pause, then top up.

Made sure to not step inside without a pellet charge first, as there seems to be a fine line between happy fire and a basket of uncooperative coals that don't feel like sharing the heat with the rest of the oven and just burn out the back of the hopper.

I think making sure the grille portion of the burner is super clean before starting so the pellets can slide unimpeded is key, too. I also keep the pellets indoors, and I’m thinking about an airtight container with some desiccant to make sure the pellets are super-dry. My buddy has one and discovered early on that those things wick moisture like crazy and cause all sorts of burn issues.

Nice chute, btw.

Has anyone used one of these terra-cotta wood fired pizza ovens? I considered buying one but can’t really find out too much info on how they actually work. Any budget friendly alternatives to this for an actual wood fired cook?

IMG_3857.JPG

Has anyone used one of these terra-cotta wood fired pizza ovens? I considered buying one but can’t really find out too much info on how they actually work. Any budget friendly alternatives to this for an actual wood fired cook?

View attachment 667872

A few of us have Ooni wood fired ovens. Depending on what you get they are pellet or propane fired. I have pellet and it takes some work to learn and get great results but it is easier than I expected it to be. Old pic of the oven and 2 pies from last night
IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7876.JPG

IMG_7877.JPG

Photography skills leave some to be desired

Back