The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhh! Super extended weekend! I'm going to make a pizza in an hour but I was looking for some tips:

I no longer have a crust recipe: I add the amount of flour I think I'm going to need for the size, and then just enough liquid to make it workable, dusting with flour as it becomes sticky.

I had an epiphany last night while drunk in the shower: If I roll out the dough over the edge of the pie-plate, roll the dough back inside for the crust, and then leave it alone, it should rise! WHen it rises in place, I'll have a super fluffy pizza . No really, super fully was the motivation factor...

ANYhow. I was thinking:

Beer for the wetting
maybe an hour proof time (i want the fluff to be ridiculous)
a prebake of the crust so that my sauce doesn't create a soggy crust
bake loaded at 490f and broil at end for char-crust
Italian seasoning dusted with red pepper flakes...

I don't have a clue about toppings yet. I'm happy with cheese.

Lets eat!

That's a lot of flour on that cornichone. I can imagine that the crust would have been beautiful had there not been so much flour on it.

But hey, as long as it tastes good, eh?

:)

Any interior shots, so we can see the spring? Upskirts???

:D

That's a lot of flour on that cornichone. I can imagine that the crust would have been beautiful had there not been so much flour on it.

But hey, as long as it tastes good, eh?

Any interior shots, so we can see the spring? Upskirts???

:D

Yeah it was dusty. Best dough i've made typically is the one that sits over night in the fridge. But for a quick pizza fix, it works. :mug:

Yeah, I refrigerate my dough for 2-3 days, to get maximum flavour as well as to let the gluten form ( I go no-knead).

Don't get me wrong, I'd eat the pie you made any day...

Oh, wow, I can't wait for fall to actually hit. It's too warm even now to heat up the oven at full-blast for a couple hours, but as soon as we get some cool weather, I am making some damn pizzas!

Now, to get a nice hunk of carbon steel for baking on...

Question for everyone. I usually make dough in the morning and let it rise for a few hours at room temp. Trying something new, I put two balls of dough in plastic containers and put them in the fridge.

This morning, they have not risen at all.

Should I have used more yeast than my usual amount?

Does it matter, or can I just take it out of the fridge and let it warm up and rise for a few hours like usual?

I'm sure it's fine, but I'm disappointed because it's probably the same as usual. Oh well.

Take them out of the fridge. Once the dough reaches room temp they will rise.

OK, but what about people saying that they get better flavor, etc. from a slow rise in the fridge? I want to make awesome pizza, not just ok pizza!

I could not tell from your earlier post, but usually with a cold ferment you would allow the dough to rise for a couple hours at room temp initially, knock it down, then let the dough balls rise again over anywhere from 12 to ? Hours in the fridge. If the dough hasn't risen once at room temp to proof then it should still rise but maybe at a much slower rate. If it's not rising in spite of all that, I would think bum yeast more than I would suspect that you need to add more. It doesn't take a while lot of yeast for a cold ferment.

I could not tell from your earlier post, but usually with a cold ferment you would allow the dough to rise for a couple hours at room temp initially, knock it down, then let the dough balls rise again over anywhere from 12 to ? Hours in the fridge. If the dough hasn't risen once at room temp to proof then it should still rise but maybe at a much slower rate. If it's not rising in spite of all that, I would think bum yeast more than I would suspect that you need to add more. It doesn't take a while lot of yeast for a cold ferment.

a-HA! I didn't let it rise at all, just put it in the fridge. So the cold ferment is a second rise?

I'll let it warm up and rise, punch down, and put it back in the fridge. Then take it out and let it warm up tomorrow or Sunday.

Question for everyone. I usually make dough in the morning and let it rise for a few hours at room temp. Trying something new, I put two balls of dough in plastic containers and put them in the fridge.

This morning, they have not risen at all.

Should I have used more yeast than my usual amount?

Does it matter, or can I just take it out of the fridge and let it warm up and rise for a few hours like usual?

I'm sure it's fine, but I'm disappointed because it's probably the same as usual. Oh well.

Over one night, you won't see much of a rise. Let it stay in the fridge for 3 days, you'll see it rise nicely.

But as actionjackson said, take it out of the fridge and once it warms up, it will rise up like you are used to. That's what you're supposed to do anyway.

Even though it hasn't changed size, there have been a few changes you can't see going on inside the dough. Even an overnighter will make your dough better.

Ah, and yes, catching up on the thread, I see where you didn't let it rise once at room temp initially.

You are on your way to great pizza crust, friend!

I never let my dough rise before the cold ferment. Ball it up and in it goes for 2 or 3 days. Usually just a little visible rise during that time. Proof for an hour or so before baking. Works every time.

I never let my dough rise before the cold ferment. Ball it up and in it goes for 2 or 3 days. Usually just a little visible rise during that time. Proof for an hour or so before baking. Works every time.

Interesting. So do you proof at all? I know you don't use sugar in your recipes, so I'm wondering how much activity you wait to see before mixing. Do you find it unnecessary? I've only had dough not rise once in all the years I've made pies, and I do tend to make a bag of saf instant streeeeeeetch(about a tsp and a half a month lasts a good while), so I figure I had it coming.

Interesting. So do you proof at all? I know you don't use sugar in your recipes, so I'm wondering how much activity you wait to see before mixing. Do you find it unnecessary? I've only had dough not rise once in all the years I've made pies, and I do tend to make a bag of saf instant streeeeeeetch(about a tsp and a half a month lasts a good while), so I figure I had it coming.

Yeah, I know you don't have to, but (and it very well all be in my mind) I think it tastes better if you let it rise once first then cold-ferment. I will typically make the dough at night and let it sit on the counter (covered with a bowl) overnight and put it in the fridge the next morning, after massaging the bubbles out. I don't like to "punch" dough down, I treat it with a little more care, but that's just me.

The only time I proof my yeast is when I use Active dry or cake yeast, which is almost never for pizza. I always mix the instant dry yeast in with the dry flour, which is then added to the already salted water in the mixer. Before I had a decent mixer I slowly added the water to the flour while mixing with a fork and then hand kneaded. The amount of instant dry yeast I use is usually
.25% or for 4-5 16" pies, just about a tsp.
Yeah, a bag of yeast lasts a long time. I keep it in a mason jar in the fridge. Never had a yeast failure yet.

a-HA! I didn't let it rise at all, just put it in the fridge. So the cold ferment is a second rise?

I'll let it warm up and rise, punch down, and put it back in the fridge. Then take it out and let it warm up tomorrow or Sunday.

OK, so I forgot to take it out like I said I would. After 3 days in the fridge, it had about doubled in size. I let it warm up and rise for a few hours before we made dinner. This turned out to be the best crust we've made so far. I don't know if it's because of the longer cold ferment or because it was with bread flour, but it turned out really well.

We had two small problems. We got some holes in the dough while stretching it out. Made it hard to get it even.

Also, we stretch the dough and lay it down, but it shrinks back up. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting it to stretch thin and not shrink up?

The more you work the dough the more it is going to shrink back up. If it does that, let it rest for 15-20 minutes and come back to it. You want to handle the dough as little as possible. I believe bread flour has a higher percentage of gluten than A.P. or 00 flour. You may also want to increase the hydration.

Once a month a friend of mine hosts an event in his back yard called Jam in the barn, which is just that.
Anyway, last night I dragged my little oven over as my contribution to the pot luck table. I made eight pies tho I was prepared for twelve.

20150919_175543.jpg

20150919_194119.jpg

20150919_190838.jpg

20150919_184717.jpg

20150919_184251.jpg

Once a month a friend of mine hosts an event in his back yard called Jam in the barn, which is just that.
Anyway, last night I dragged my little oven over as my contribution to the pot luck table. I made eight pies tho I was prepared for twelve.

Looks like a good time!:rockin:

Made a dough with no added sugar for the first time. Turned out nice.

Pepperoni, olives, Roma tomatoes, and basil from the garden.
White pizza with roasted garlic, homemade Canadian bacon, Roma tomatoes, red onion, and habanero infused honey.

20150920_190928-1.jpg

@hotwatermusic, I am loving that crust. What is the hydration you are using?? Sugar/salt/yeast %? Thats the kind of crust I am shooting for! You bake on steel or stone?

Thanks a lot. I cook on parchment paper. Hydration %, what's that? Ha, actually I tend to ball park everything and keep a bunch of flour on hand while kneading, don't really know. I can give you a pretty good approximation.
5c. high gluten bread flour
2c. wort (from an APA in this case, about 7 srm)
2 tsp sea salt (bit less actually)
rounded tsp yeast
2 tbs olive oil (after a 20 minute rest and just before kneading)

Pizza I made last night. Dough was made on Monday. Chorizo and fresh sliced tomatoes for toppings.

Mostly fresh mozzarella, but i had to use some prepacked (to use it up... fiance bought it). You can really tell a difference when you got a bite of the prepacked!
IMG_20150924_194345.jpg

Any vegan pizza eaters here? I've got a damn good recipe but I'm not going to share it if all I'm going to get is crap... :)

Back