The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, I love making pizza. Here's one of several 18 inch N.Y. style pies made in my wood-fired oven a couple weeks ago. Just a basic pepperoni and cheese. Home made dough and sauce. Baked in 3 and a half minutes at about 650-700.

serious pizza. I have been making home made pizza for about 20 years. I have a very large pizza stone in the oven. actually a granite slab I cut/converted. BUT.. nothing beats high heat like a wood fired oven. I cook on the weber grill when I can, simulates the wood fired. really great looking pie you have there......I am sure it tastes as good as it looks.

Couple questions on a cold ferment. So I mix the dough and then immediately put it in the fridge? Or give it some time first? Then when I bring it out the morning to cook, do I give it more time, or poke down/shape it? Thanks for any tips!

Also, can I just do an overnight cold ferment? As in, make the dough tonight and take out of the fridge tomorrow morning?

Check out this recipe. 24-hours in the fridge immediately after mixing the dough then an hour or more at room temp. just before cooking. I've made this a couple of times and everyone loved it.

Grandma style pizza dough

Couple questions on a cold ferment. So I mix the dough and then immediately put it in the fridge? Or give it some time first? Then when I bring it out the morning to cook, do I give it more time, or poke down/shape it? Thanks for any tips!

Also, can I just do an overnight cold ferment? As in, make the dough tonight and take out of the fridge tomorrow morning?

I usually mix my ingredients, knead the dough, then divide the dough into pizza portions. Roll the portions into balls, then gently flatten into disks. Place on a floured tray, cover and stick in the fridge for a day or three. Pull out and set at room temp a few hours before you need to cook the pies. Then gently form your dough into pizzas, starting with forming the crust. Proceed as normal. NYT has a good video with Roberta's on how to make the dough and form a pizza.

spent grain crust

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

Made a couple last night. Inneed to try a new dough recipe. This makes a good, somewhat soft, thin crust but its not anything special. First one is margarita again, used fresh mozz this time. :D
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425130671.283421.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425130688.970300.jpg

Next is sautéed green pepper, garlic, and onion with raw onion and pepperoni (not pictured). Also grated up some parmigiano reggiano that i had left over as a base cheese right after the sauce. No after pics...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425130788.541205.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425130799.191902.jpg

I'm still learning a lot about brewing, so mostly lurk on this forum, but definitely have a lot I can share about pizza, so I'm glad I found this thread!

I generally make pizza every Thursday after making dough on Sunday and letting it sit in the fridge for 4 days. The dough comes out of the fridge for 1.5+ hours before I start working on it, and my oven sits at 500°+ for about the same amount of time. A few minutes before putting the pizza in the oven, I switch from bake to broil. Pizza's take about five minutes using this method. Oh, and I'm using a baking steel, which made a dramatic improvement in my pizza quality.

Here are the past three weeks creations.

B-z7OoyWoAAgpma.jpg

This was fresh mozz, spinach, and bacon. Good, but would have been a lot better with higher quality bacon.

B-P8rdVCMAAovYo.jpg

Bacon, apple, and blue cheese. One of my favorites.

B9HuEcAIIAA_F0Q.jpg

Green peppers, black olives, and feta. Quite nice.

I'm still learning a lot about brewing, so mostly lurk on this forum, but definitely have a lot I can share about pizza, so I'm glad I found this thread!

I generally make pizza every Thursday after making dough on Sunday and letting it sit in the fridge for 4 days. The dough comes out of the fridge for 1.5+ hours before I start working on it, and my oven sits at 500°+ for about the same amount of time. A few minutes before putting the pizza in the oven, I switch from bake to broil. Pizza's take about five minutes using this method. Oh, and I'm using a baking steel, which made a dramatic improvement in my pizza quality.

B-z7OoyWoAAgpma.jpg

This was fresh mozz, spinach, and bacon. Good, but would have been a lot better with higher quality bacon.

B-P8rdVCMAAovYo.jpg

B9HuEcAIIAA_F0Q.jpg

Those look pretty solid:cross:

B-z7OoyWoAAgpma.jpg

B-P8rdVCMAAovYo.jpg

B9HuEcAIIAA_F0Q.jpg

That looks like great pizza! What hydration and yeast % are you using?
Got a shot of the bottom of the crust??

TD

Those look pretty solid:cross:
Thanks! Just like with brewing, it feels like I'm always learning and figuring stuff out. Pizza sure is easier than brewing though, haha.

That looks like great pizza! What hydration and yeast % are you using?
Got a shot of the bottom of the crust??

TD
Thank you!
I'm at 65% hydration with my dough, and off the top of my head, my yeast percentage is something like .25%...basically 12.3oz of flour to about 3/8 tsp of yeast.

Here's a quick shot of the bottom of the last pizza I made. Not as much char as I'd like, but there's always a balance between cooking the top and the bottom of the pizza for me. Oh, and I think the amount of cornmeal used to prevent sticking to the peel also plays a part...maybe.
AvXZCgI.jpg

@ hank what kind of flour are you using? Using 00 will get you more char, or leopard spots, Macchia do lepardo as the Italians say... eesa done when a ita looksa like a leopardos spots

It's a popular style up that way. Places like "Buddy's" and "Shields". The dough is pressed in the pan and allowed to rise. Cheese(brick cheese or mild whitte cheddar) is put on all the way up against the pan where it gets all brown and crunchy. Then a couple lines of sauce, and then whatever toppings you want. Good stuff.
Little Ceasars has a version of it now with bacon around the sides.

It's a popular style up that way. Places like "Buddy's" and "Shields". The dough is pressed in the pan and allowed to rise. Cheese(brick cheese or mild whitte cheddar) is put on all the way up against the pan where it gets all brown and crunchy. Then a couple lines of sauce, and then whatever toppings you want. Good stuff.
Little Ceasars has a version of it now with bacon around the sides.

Forgot to ask, when you bake these, what temp? How is the dough different than the Lehman style which is what I use for most pies, though I prefer the Neapolitan style, I'm usually cooking for a large group of usually ravenous family members with little patience for the smaller Neapolitan pies with more varied toppings... This is where some Detroit style pans would help. I could bake those and possible make ahead, then they can chow down while I make the style I prefer.

TD

@ hank what kind of flour are you using? Using 00 will get you more char, or leopard spots, Macchia do lepardo as the Italians say... eesa done when a ita looksa like a leopardos spots
Innnnntersting, thanks.

I'm using king arthur bread flour. I tried 00 a while back and had less than stellar results, but perhaps I should give it another shot? I thought I remembered reading that you need really high oven temps to get the most out of 00...not sure where I read that though.

Innnnntersting, thanks.

I'm using king arthur bread flour. I tried 00 a while back and had less than stellar results, but perhaps I should give it another shot? I thought I remembered reading that you need really high oven temps to get the most out of 00...not sure where I read that though.

I have heard this too, but the fact is that you can burn any flour in a hot oven. 00 is the proper flour for a Neapolitan style pizza.. Not sure it's going to be a true Neapolitan in an electric oven on a steel but lots of folks are getting close. Need to use the doming trick after the crust sets. It is a more delicate flour/dough than bread flour and high gluten flour, and yields a more delicate crumb structure in my (limited) experience and opinion.

You can get leoparding with other flours too. I like to use all trumps flour. Buy it in a big sack and store in airtight buckets. Use this for all my pizza unless I'm trying to make Neapolitan pizzas, then I use 00.

Made up some dough last night...

66% H20
2.9% kosher salt
2.9% olive oil
2.17% sugar
1.30% yeast

Not sure what I'll top them with tonight, but it'll have spent ~24 hours in the fridge...

Made up some dough last night...

66% H20
2.9% kosher salt
2.9% olive oil
2.17% sugar
1.30% yeast

Not sure what I'll top them with tonight, but it'll have spent ~24 hours in the fridge...

What style pie does this make?

Forgot to ask, when you bake these, what temp? How is the dough different than the Lehman style which is what I use for most pies, though I prefer the Neapolitan style, I'm usually cooking for a large group of usually ravenous family members with little patience for the smaller Neapolitan pies with more varied toppings... This is where some Detroit style pans would help. I could bake those and possible make ahead, then they can chow down while I make the style I prefer.

TD

I bake these in the electric kitchen oven at 475, about 10 minutes.
The dough is made with average bread flour at about 75% hydration and .6% instant dry yeast, overnight in the fridge and proofed in the pan before topping.

You can get leoparding with other flours too. I like to use all trumps flour. Buy it in a big sack and store in airtight buckets. Use this for all my pizza unless I'm trying to make Neapolitan pizzas, then I use 00.
All trumps is a high protein/high gluten flour, correct? I see that King Arthur will sell you a 3 pound sack of their Sir Lancelot...might have to order that to see how it works for me, as it seems to have a very similar protein % as all trumps. I was looking around a bit after your all trumps suggestion and realized I really should experiment with other types of flour to see what works best with my set up.

Here's what I made last night. I let my dough sit for a bit longer after taking it out of the fridge and also gave my baking steel a few extra minutes under the broiler before tossing the pizza on. Got a much better spring from my dough and a quicker cooking bottom. Oh, and for toppings I tried a combo of manchego cheese and pineapple. This was the first time using manchego on pizza, but I like how it turned out. Developed a nice crispy texture on top while still remaining gooey underneath. Definitely will use it again.
B_X7oWSVAAAHLZ0.jpg

hFJJDzO.jpg

Steels are nice but stone is too, and way cheaper and a Lil more authentico.

You can go to home Depot and get a 24" ceramic tile. Just make sure it's lead free. I used one for years. It was $3.

I'll add that you can also go to Menards and pick up a set of fire-bricks for $14, makes a 13.5 x 18" cooking surface. Preheats these bad boys and you're good to go.

DSC_1025.JPG

I pulled out the Pizza Oven today to use some of the Canadian Bacon I cured and smoked.

036_zpslvgsthfc.jpg

037_zpsrwof7cy1.jpg

039_zpslvss7x7t.jpg

Cheers!

Some good looking pies folks! Awesome use for the home cured bacon too!
I did a few NY style and made a batch of neo style dough too with 00. My sourdough died and had to punt. Drew off some yeast from a conical and added a pipette of beer from a pellicle crusted carboy for some lab and who knows what else. 30 hour ferment but little rise. Came out just ok but crumb texture suffered. Need to get my new culture going soon.
Here are a few shots

View attachment 1425912051918.jpg

View attachment 1425912068765.jpg

View attachment 1425912083297.jpg

Back