The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than playing with the oven temperature I would first examine where your racks are. The closer they are to the top the more radiant heat you'll get on the top of the pizza.

Agreed; I moved this last pizza to the center oven rack and it didn't burn this time. Last time I had it on the lower rack...

This is an excellent thread! A little more practice and I'll really be enjoying my homemade pizzas I learned from here!

Pepperoni, bacon, and pineapple. 2nd attempt.

Pepperoni, mushrooms, and black olives. This was my first attempt and it cooked a little long and I used to much flour when I was stretching the dough.

Last night's pie...

E6FD2FA6-6123-4810-B25C-81618E6BC9B4_zpsuuewp8sm.jpg

6F6EDEDD-3D9C-479E-9390-CFD7A276FCD8_zpsnsxdeawp.jpg

I love going to visit family and having a pizza party around the wood fired pizza oven. This is a video I took a few years ago.

I was stationed in Italy a few years back and brought back the pizza oven kit and we built it in the back yard. The pizzas are made small like that so we can have a few different varieties.

Nice video. Had to order a couple medium pizzas from da hut as a result. Italian sausage & bacon-pepperoni & Italian sausage. And it's y'all's fault!...:rockin:

Great wood fired oven!

However I like to toss the crust to keep it airy. The pasta press must make it more like a cracker.

That's true. At the time, we hadn't really perfected hand-tossed crust, but if the dough has enough gluten, it can be tossed pretty easily. The roller just makes it easy so everyone can enjoy. Thanks!:mug:

How long and what temp did you cook this at? The crust looks good!

I cooked it with my stone on the middle rack at 450 degrees. It was probably about 12-14 minutes, but I don't remember exactly.

My first successful homemade pizza. Well call it semi-sucessful, needed to use more cheese. I have never made a crust or any bread before, I tried a no knead crust recipe and it turned out great.

I used some of my spent grain today and made my first pizza dough, came out awesome. I wasn't a fan of my store bought sauce though.

Next time. Lets just say the pizza place down the street was on speed dial just in case tonight.

You did fine! If you think anyone produced a beautiful pie on their first attempt your'e kidding your self, have I made a ton of dough so far? Might not be to far off;)

Keep on practicing :mug:

I made two pies tonight using dough i made this morning. Since i usually ferment my dough at least two days, i simply doubled the amount of yeast and pulled them from the fridge a couple hours before baking , to proof up. Also, i used mild white cheddar instead of mozz.
Plain cheese and pepperoni. Cheese goes down first, then the sauce is poured on in a spiral pattern.
Tomorrow night i've got some folks coming over for Detroit style pizza and probably a couple more like these.

20141114_200701.jpg

20141114_202153.jpg

20141114_201942.jpg

20141114_202005.jpg

I made two pies tonight using dough i made this morning. Since i usually ferment my dough at least two days, i simply doubled the amount of yeast and pulled them from the fridge a couple hours before baking , to proof up. Also, i used mild white cheddar instead of mozz.
Plain cheese and pepperoni. Cheese goes down first, then the sauce is poured on in a spiral pattern.
Tomorrow night i've got some folks coming over for Detroit style pizza and probably a couple more like these.

This pie looks like the one on Man vs Food when he was at the jersey shore. The place was famous for their pies with that spiral sauce pattern. Cool!

Yes, that's what it's supposed to be, but i just thought not many would know if i called it "Macks" or "boardwalk" style. They also use the mild cheddar.

Here are the two Detroiters. The one is half sausage half pepperoni. The other is mac&cheese with bacon and carmelized onion. Never did make the round pies. The first two filled everybody up. Guess i'll make more tomorrow!

20141115_185059.jpg

20141115_184453.jpg

20141115_184511.jpg

20141115_185046.jpg

Getting ready to make a crust for tonight's din-din. Any tips to getting a puffy edge while keeping a nice thin crust Under the toppings?

Hey Evets, would you mind sharing your sauce recipe?

I could, but why would you want it if you've never tasted it?

To be honest, it's a little different every time, depending on how much I need, what style pizza I'm making, what tomatoes I have on hand, etc.
For a basic sauce using one 28 oz. can of Hunts crushed tomatoes;
.5tsp salt
1tsp sugar
.5tsp dry basil
.5tsp dry oregano
.25tsp black pepper
.5tsp onion powder
...and a heaping fork-ful of minced garlic.

I make it a day or at least several hours ahead. I never cook my sauce.

Calzones, not my prettiest but delicious.
Sourdough, Pork, oyster mushrooms, last eggplant from the garden, onions, peppers, used up all the little pieces of hard cheeses I had plus mozz and fontina, a side of homemade marinara= happiness:D

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

Yum! Black Krim sauce, mozzarella from Trader Joes, mushrooms, peppers, onions, butter-honey glaze, fresh basil, garlic powder.

I included the recipe but I just tossed the ingredients into a bread machine on dough mode:).

Immediately removed, stretched beyond the pan limits to make the crust edge, pre baked at 400 for about 14 min, topped, returned to oven( time based on ingredients, efficiency of oven), broiled top shelf last 60 seconds.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416191600.375140.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1416191620.720894.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1416191646.895379.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1416191737.019631.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1416191756.669180.jpg

Back