The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly recommend hydration monitoring. It's not like we just dump random grain/hops in until it seems right, do we? :)
You'll get repeatable results, and better tasting pies with higher hydration levels.

I highly recommend hydration monitoring. It's not like we just dump random grain/hops in until it seems right, do we? :)
You'll get repeatable results, and better tasting pies with higher hydration levels.

I know it's smart to monitor everything, I'm great at it with brewing! But I was a pizza cook for 3 years, I just got into the habit of doing it by feel. At this point I'm pretty consistent with my results.

And hey, some people might just dump grain and hops in willy nilly till it "feels right" haha ;)

I am a "from the hip" brewer, chef, pizza chef.

I NEVER measure. Always fantastic results.

I think that "feel" is arguably more accurate. Humidity can make differences that your hands can make corrections for.

I know it's smart to monitor everything, I'm great at it with brewing! But I was a pizza cook for 3 years, I just got into the habit of doing it by feel. At this point I'm pretty consistent with my results.

And hey, some people might just dump grain and hops in willy nilly till it "feels right" haha ;)

Well if you've been in the game that long, I'm sure you know.

As for brewing from the hip, I'm sure its fine unless you want to repeat your results.

In my youth, grew up in Chi Town, I was exposed to a lot of pizza. After many years, I still find ways to tweak my recipes to meet the beer being consumed. This one got a double IPA. Deep dish is my past. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401602917.756582.jpg

On a serious note.....

The best pizza ever.........*sniff sniff* see above.

2 days later and I can not stop eating this stuff. GOD DAMNED DEEEELICIOUS.

Last dough I made sucked.

Granted, I was lazy, and was making a bunch of cinnamon rolls as well at the time.

Did a hybrid no-knead, over night cold ferment. The next day, the dough was not good at all. Didn't stretch worth a crap and was really chunky. At first I thought my hydration was way too low. But in hindight, I think I forgot the yeast. :eek:

Last dough I made sucked.

Granted, I was lazy, and was making a bunch of cinnamon rolls as well at the time.

Did a hybrid no-knead, over night cold ferment. The next day, the dough was not good at all. Didn't stretch worth a crap and was really chunky. At first I thought my hydration was way too low. But in hindight, I think I forgot the yeast. :eek:

Lol, did it rise????

Seriously.....a brewer forgot WHAT??????????

;)

I've never payed attention to percent hydration.. In fact I start with a general amount of flour and water and add more until it feels right. I knead it and mix by hand so I just keep adding till it's right.

Id bet in an ideal world percent would yield great consistency, but I assume this is pretty tough to dial in as things like ambient humidity and the RH of the flour make it hard to know. I'm right there with you, over time I have learned what a good hydration point is by look and feel and can turn out an awesome pie consistently. So practice makes perfect and I'd bet no one would complain about eating more pizza as they learn.

I just wish I could find the perfect yeast. So far US-05 us my favorite for pizza, but I bet something out there is better.

My buddy is in the Philippines and he was in a restaurant that was offering a "pepperoni" pizza among other things. He felt that was a safe bet so he ordered it and this is what he got. It doesn't come through so well but it was covered in this shimmering translucent goo and when he asked what it was he was told "olive sauce". Anyway, this pie is a crime against humanity and I thought I would put it out there just because. It kinda looks like hot dogs.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402458700.910949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My buddy is in the Philippines and he was in a restaurant that was offering a "pepperoni" pizza among other things. He felt that was a safe bet so he ordered it and this is what he got. It doesn't come through so well but it was covered in this shimmering translucent goo and when he asked what it was he was told "olive sauce". Anyway, this pie is a crime against humanity and I thought I would put it out there just because. It kinda looks like hot dogs.View attachment 205024

Yuck! And I thought corn on pizza as a standard ingredient in Hong Kong was gross...

[Q UOTE=AZ_IPA;6184554]Yuck! And I thought corn on pizza as a standard ingredient in Hong Kong was gross...[/QUOTE]
Corn on pizza is bomb! Potatoes, jalapeños and corn with a spicy tomato sauce and habanero jack... Damn I'm hungry

[Q UOTE=AZ_IPA;6184554]Yuck! And I thought corn on pizza as a standard ingredient in Hong Kong was gross...
Corn on pizza is bomb! Potatoes, jalapeños and corn with a spicy tomato sauce and habanero jack... Damn I'm hungry

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew[/QUOTE]

Gotta say, that sounds pretty damn good. Even if I weren't starving right now! Must try.

Gotta say, that sounds pretty damn good. Even if I weren't starving right now! Must try.[/QUOTE]

Let's keep this weird quote thing going ;) you've got to try it! Red potatoes are an ultimate pizza topping. Just slice 1/8 thick and quickly zap on both sides in a frying pan in olive oil and salt. Then the sky's the limit. Potato and sausage. Potato and leeks with goat cheese (personal fave). Dooo it.

Much better dough tonight. Only issue I'm having is during the final rest, even with a damp towel covering the dough balls, it gets a bit of a dry crust on it (damn single digit RH). Regardless, turned out great...

img_20140609_220212_303-1-63087.jpg

Did you give it a light coat of olive oil? I always let my dough ferment a few days in the fridge in a sealed container and make a wet dough which is enough to keep it from getting a skin on it. Just hope you don't have to manage a humidor in that climate :).

I ALWAYS cool my pies on racks. Just noticed in a lot of the pics that the pies are not on racks, which can allow the crust to get a tiny bit soggier.

Back