The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awright, you all have had my mouth watered for pizza for days, so I took one of my frozen dough balls out of the freezer last night and will stretch it into submission for pizza later.

We sprout/dehydrate/grind our own hard red winter wheat, so that's what the dough is made from. Plans are to top with the works. Pepperoni, salami, sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and black olives. And cheese of course.

I'll try to remember to get a picture to post later.

I still have two more dough balls left in the freezer too. Keep the inspiration flowing here!

10155511_1468865996677154_485800760_n.jpg

I make the dough with bread flour, about 10% whole wheat flour, and beer. 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, a bit of garlic/oregano powders.

Cheese is home made mozz, sauce is made from canned paste, pureed tomatoes and fired-red peppers, whole garlic, other various herbs.

Beer used for dough and beer pictured : Cali Common (like a steam ale but not lagered, ale yeast).

Well, the pictures aren't the best, but they'll have to do!

First one is before baking so all the pretty veggies show - after is the slice accompanied by a fine homebrewed London Porter.

Pizza has: pepperoni, salami, sausage, black olives, mushrooms, onions, red/yellow/orange peppers, and thinly-sliced Serranos. Cheese of course, and 3-cheese sauce.

We like cracker-thin crust so you can't really see much of THAT!

pizza b4.jpg

pizza slice.jpg

Well, the pictures aren't the best, but they'll have to do!

First one is before baking so all the pretty veggies show - after is the slice accompanied by a fine homebrewed London Porter.

Pizza has: pepperoni, salami, sausage, black olives, mushrooms, onions, red/yellow/orange peppers, and thinly-sliced Serranos. Cheese of course, and 3-cheese sauce.

We like cracker-thin crust so you can't really see much of THAT!

That's what you call a pizza with the works!:rockin:

Nice one HB! Should my "from scratch" double chocolate cake go in the "bread" thread? ;) Not that I will be doing it often. But maybe we start a desert thread or something.....

ANYWAYS

That pie looks awesome, but I would LOVE to try the "raw bacon on top" trick with your monster pellet grill.

It works great in my oven, but that crazy top heat would do it more justice!

Nice one HB! Should my "from scratch" double chocolate cake go in the "bread" thread? ;) Not that I will be doing it often. But maybe we start a desert thread or something.....

ANYWAYS

That pie looks awesome, but I would LOVE to try the "raw bacon on top" trick with your monster pellet grill.

Starsky_and_Hutch-_Do_It.jpg

ummm.....which one?

Not too jazzed about a desert thread......or even desert. I would rather have 2 more pints than some cake!

;)

We did do some raw sausage on top on HB's pellet grill. It turned out well, but I would actually brown that a little first. It cooked, but didn't caramelize much.

Bacon is so thin (even thick bacon) it would brown nicely!

ANYWAYS

I'd post it on the "what did i cook this weekend" thread. ;)

I think raw bacon would work well on top, in this case though I added a couple of handfuls of cheddar near the end so it wouldn't burn so not sure if that would interfere with the bacon.

We'll experiment with this the next time you come over. :mug:

I'd post it on the "what did i cook this weekend" thread. ;)

I think raw bacon would work well on top, in this case though I added a couple of handfuls of cheddar near the end so it wouldn't burn so not sure if that would interfere with the bacon.

We'll experiment with this the next time you come over. :mug:

Sounds good!

We'll make a HBT pizza experiment documentary, lol.

Congrats on your gift cert win headbanger, nice to see a name I recongize take something even if it took 3 draws to get there ;)

I think raw bacon would work well on top:

I've done raw bacon on top before, and the only problem is it creates a HUGE pool of bacon fat and grease, it was impossible to cut without it created a major mess, so I had to dab it with a few paper towels. Pizza turned out great, but last night I decided to cook the bacon in cast iron before putting on pizza, and I liked that result much better!

From last night, made a 'Za with leftover breakfast stout pulled pork, applewood smoked bacon, jalepenos, green peppers, and a swath of butter along the crust and some monterrey jack. Reduced down whole foods 365 Marinara and added jalepenos, rosemary and oregano (on the crust too). And this bad boy weighed in at 3 lbs 11 oz, needless to say i could only finish one piece.

DSC_0209.JPG

DSC_0214.JPG

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0224.JPG

This is absolutely the best crust I have ever done! I think I have finally figured out the trick, patience! I made this dough on Saturday and put it in the fridge until today.. used a bread maker to knead the dough and do the rising, phenomenal pizza! Though nearly a pound of applewood bacon will make a lot of things phenomenal :)

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

Paired with a homebrew Galaxy IPA and Short's Freedom of '78.

From last night, made a 'Za with leftover breakfast stout pulled pork, applewood smoked bacon, jalepenos, green peppers, and a swath of butter along the crust and some monterrey jack. Reduced down whole foods 365 Marinara and added jalepenos, rosemary and oregano (on the crust too). And this bad boy weighed in at 3 lbs 11 oz, needless to say i could only finish one piece.

DSC_0214.JPG

This is absolutely the best crust I have ever done! I think I have finally figured out the trick, patience! I made this dough on Saturday and put it in the fridge until today.. used a bread maker to knead the dough and do the rising, phenomenal pizza! Though nearly a pound of applewood bacon will make a lot of things phenomenal :)

Paired with a homebrew Galaxy IPA and Short's Freedom of '78.

AWESOME! :mug:

That grill thing with handles looks COOL! Is it cast iron?

I made a couple of Detroit style pies last night. A plain cheese and a sausage pepperoni.

Glorious!!!!!!!!!

I have been meaning to try that! Any tips for going detroit style?

The wife made the dough. i made the rest. one is buffalo chicken pizza and the other is spinach garlic and chicken.

IMG_20130324_133613_zpsb28f7a3f.jpg

IMG_20130324_133608_zps3c1cf475.jpg

We had 4 of the 5 the G-kids over so we had pizza. I did a few different pies but only had the opportunity to snap these couple photos of mine. It was a danger zone around the others.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hmmmm..........brown top for a grilled pie!!!!!!

(shut up HB)

I am wondering is a dutch oven pie, with coals on the lid, like you do prarie biscuits, would be a good way to make pizza camping of with just a fire.

Did some over the weekend in the wannabe green egg thing.. The baking steel was so hot the first pizza blew up like a balloon and finished in under 2 minutes. Sourdough crust. View attachment 194835

I have a green egg and tend to get burnt crust on the bottom, almost nothing on top. what does your crust look like? can you show more zoomed out photos?

It should work. Might be interesting to try a deep dish that way?...

That's what I was thinking!

I make fantastic deep dish in my cast iron now......*hmm......may do that tonight*...where I just form the dough to fit the inside of the skillet and fill it up. Trick with that, as with "Prarie Pizza" is guaging how hot to get the skillet before "doughing in".

I have a green egg and tend to get burnt crust on the bottom, almost nothing on top. what does your crust look like? can you show more zoomed out photos?

Sorry I tend to delete these after I post them... I had a problem with that at first, then I found the solution. Unlike a conventional oven, I don't preheat the steel/stone/whatever for more than a few minutes. And I get it good and hot. This way the steel isn't too nuclear when the pizza goes on, and the 700+ degrees gets the top done fine. After that first pie I bake the successive ones on the steel on a round steel pizza pan, so that they have some extra insulation from the bottom heat. It takes some practice. It's definitely not a substitute for a pizza oven where the pizza is level with the heat source.

Sorry I tend to delete these after I post them... I had a problem with that at first, then I found the solution. Unlike a conventional oven, I don't preheat the steel/stone/whatever for more than a few minutes. And I get it good and hot. This way the steel isn't too nuclear when the pizza goes on, and the 700+ degrees gets the top done fine. After that first pie I bake the successive ones on the steel on a round steel pizza pan, so that they have some extra insulation from the bottom heat. It takes some practice. It's definitely not a substitute for a pizza oven where the pizza is level with the heat source.

Makes good sense. With enough insulation between the bottom and the heat, the exposed top will get more heat, at least for a while.

Yeah, I tried that at 800F with a metal insulated stone and still too much char on the bottom vs the top. Think ill just hold off till we move in a year and just build an oven.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Back