The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have one of these for their Weber charcoal grill? I've had mixed results with it but I haven't exactly spent a lot of time trying to master it either. I've had pies that were not quite done and one that was burnt, probably just need more practice.

My results in the oven are much better! :)

Anybody have one of these for their Weber charcoal grill? I've had mixed results with it but I haven't exactly spent a lot of time trying to master it either. I've had pies that were not quite done and one that was burnt, probably just need more practice.

Neat! If I had a weber grill like that, I'd love to try it! However, I could only imagine this device being practical for ultra thin crusts... still neat! Steak and pizza!

The thermometer bottoms out at 700F and I have no problem reaching that temperature so I'm sure its even hotter than that. I think my problems have been from not adding enough wood to the fire which resulted in undercooked pizza and I preheated the stone in the oven the one time that I burned the bottom of the pizza. So, I guess I need to be somewhere in between....

Here is the " how to" video from the company

Last edited by a moderator:
Salami, sausage, mushrooms. Thin crust using 00 flour. Great texture
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416378526.848138.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416378541.415799.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416378556.321298.jpg

The thermometer bottoms out at 700F and I have no problem reaching that temperature so I'm sure its even hotter than that. I think my problems have been from not adding enough wood to the fire which resulted in undercooked pizza and I preheated the stone in the oven the one time that I burned the bottom of the pizza. So, I guess I need to be somewhere in between....

Here is the " how to" video from the company
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkE_5B_Jco

That looks like it's more of a PITA than it's worth .... plus you have to buy a bunch of extra gadgets.

I have made pie at low temp around 425 and tried 600 it seems the middle of my pie ends up soggy at 600 because the rest of it cooks so fast, i now get the dough from my local pizzaria, lay it out cook it in oven remove turn add toppings and recook comes out crunchy

Took me a few days to read the entire thread & all I can say is I am so damn hungry from looking at all those pizzas. The real kicker here is that my wife put me on a diet a couple months ago & pizza is not remotely on the menu. I can live with the diet, but I won't give up my home brew, I will quit eating first. :mug:. Awesome looking pizza & bread, all of you. :rockin:

Took me a few days to read the entire thread & all I can say is I am so damn hungry from looking at all those pizzas. The real kicker here is that my wife put me on a diet a couple months ago & pizza is not remotely on the menu. I can live with the diet, but I won't give up my home brew, I will quit eating first. :mug:. Awesome looking pizza & bread, all of you. :rockin:

On behalf of the HBT pizza thread you have our condolences 🍺

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is possible to eat good pizza on a diet. Make a thin lean crust, easy on the cheese, and little to no salty cured pork products. Pizza margarita used to be my go to diet pizza.

It is possible to eat good pizza on a diet. Make a thin lean crust, easy on the cheese, and little to no salty cured pork products. Pizza margarita used to be my go to diet pizza.

Really, I can eat anything I want, but my wife went on a diet for someone with type 2 diabetes, so to be supportive I eat what she eats & it is working well for her & I have lost a lot of weight also. I am not a fan of veggies but for her well being I will force them down.:(

Yes you are correct, a pizza made with wheat flour, home made sauce, low fat cheese and veggies on top is acceptable in small portions. :)

Couple pies from this past weekend meant to clean out the fridge.

The first one was pretty standard...sauce, cheese, burger, caramelized onions. Pictured with a stout and the sourdough starter that gave life to the pies :D

The second one for my wife had pesto, cheese, onions, caramelized onions, and sausage.

pizza 1.jpg

pizza 2.jpg

pizza 3.jpg

Hosted a pizza party / get-together with friends on Friday and made three pies. The first:

Bacon, Italian chicken Sausage, Peperoncini, Whole milk mozz, and goat cheese.

DSC_1064-1.jpg

The second was caramelized Mushrooms & onions, peperoncini, artichoke, black olives, green pepper, red onions, and Almond cheese (for the lactose intolerant), unfortunately I did not get a picture of this one.

DSC_1070-1.jpg

Lastly, mushrooms, black olives, sausage, bacon, pepperoni, green pepper and red onions with whole milk mozz and feta. Also made a pizza yesterday with the leftover dough to utilize all of the leftovers before I go on a pizza hiatus! Pictures to come later :mug:

Couple pies from this past weekend meant to clean out the fridge.

The first one was pretty standard...sauce, cheese, burger, caramelized onions. Pictured with a stout and the sourdough starter that gave life to the pies :D

The second one for my wife had pesto, cheese, onions, caramelized onions, and sausage.

Darn you cheesy, I seriously need to go on a pizza hiatus, but that second pie... Goddamn, you're making me second guess my life choices.

Darn you cheesy, I seriously need to go on a pizza hiatus, but that second pie... Goddamn, you're making me second guess my life choices.

Pesto does make one hell of a pie. I still haven't come around to where it's better tasting than tomato, but it is rather tasty :mug:

Pesto does make one hell of a pie. I still haven't come around to where it's better tasting than tomato, but it is rather tasty :mug:

I do both - schmear a little pesto around on the crust first, bake it off a bit if you like, then do the tomato sauce and whatever toppings. It just adds a little sumthin' sumthin' to the equation that is killer good.

Kinda sounds like the idea I had for last Friday. I was also going to add little balls of stuffing made with a melon baller & smoked gouda. The sage sausage stuffing would've been interesting I thought. They didn't....

I don't eat much cured pork products, but the way it curved up into those nice little grease boats I had to have a piece or two.

Has anyone used US-05 or similar to make pizza dough? I ran out of active dry and I don't feel like going to the store... Haha

Saw this in the recent threads section.

We usually grill our pizza using wood. Mmmmm! Slight bit of mesquite with most of it being hickory or oak or a bit of both. Makes a tremendous difference!

alright, its been awhile since I threw down on this thread.

2 cups King Arthurs Bread Flour
2 cups K A All Purp Fl
2 tsp sucre
1 can whole, diced, and paste
olive oil

Onion, Jalapeno, mushroom

Cast Iron Skillet

pizza.jpg

Back