The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here I thought I was the only person to favor canned mushrooms.

One of those things that made me, in my adulthood, realize "hmmm... I think I grew up poor!"

sorry to confuse. I have made a new thread to highlight my process without hijacking yours. see it here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/bagels-pizza-bread-418135/#post5298969

:( I really see no Jack, and no need for a separate thread.

I just requested that MY FIRST GOOD PIZZA FROM SCRATCH thread (which somebody zombified and necro-posted) be merged into this one.

Your input is more than welcome and I personally prefer one central thread for dough lore and victorious displays.

gwapogorilla said:
Okay boys, you might wanna step back so you don't get hurt.

Here is my................no........ "THEE" ultimate pizza! 18.5 LBS. of colossal heavenly goodness. 18.5 LBS. REAL WEIGHT!!! All meats and veggies were precooked and drained of their juices, and put on top of a beer dough crust.
I weighed the pan before and after the goodies were put on top, it came in at 18.7 lbs....so 18.5 for good accurate measures after evaporation of cheeses juices.

Here it is in my pellet grill. The pellet grill gives it a very nice "wood fire oven" flavor. http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/gwapogorilla/media/yoder.jpg.html

And, here it is all cooked sitting on top of my stove. This is NOT a small stove! The pan the pizza is cooked in is 18 1/2" diameter by 2" deep. Plus, I build up the goodies to fill the crust....see next pic!

http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/gwapogorilla/media/pie.jpg.html

See what I mean? 3 inches thick!!!
http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/gwapogorilla/media/slice.jpg.html

Here is 1 slice...an average of 2.31 lbs per slice!!!!
http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/gwapogorilla/media/slice2.jpg.html

Sure, you guys can prolly brew better than I can. But I can teach you this! Cheers!:mug:

Omg. That looks yummy

Home made pizza and a Double IPA

20130621_191055.jpg

I was really craving some pizza for lunch today so I threw this together:

about 2.5 cups of bread flower
1 cup of warm water
a drizzle of olive oil
a little bit of garlic salt
1 packet of yeast (I used active dry)

Mix everything up together into a loose dough ball consistency, then turn it out and keep folding and kneading it over on itself till it starts to not look so crumbly. I set my oven to 400F and let the dough rise while the oven preheated by sitting it on the warm oven vent. This took about 15 minutes. Then I plopped the dough out, flattened it and put it on a 14 inch pizza tray I had, sauced it up, put some toppings on, do it however you like. Then popped it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

I'll admit it's not the greatest pizza ever, purely because it's such a fast rise it won't have the texture of a really great pizza, but for only taking about 40 minutes total it was far better than anything I've bought from a store, and much cheaper too.

Wish I'd have thought to take a picture of it, but I was too hungry.

Anyone tried sprinkling the "used mash" grain on a pizza crust, then topping it out as normal??

As a hillbilly, I hate to throw anything "good out" ya know. I have been feeding it to the neighbors horses. After that chocolate-coffee stout grain, they follow me around now.

errr..........merged, but somehow I am now shown as the thread starter.....OOPS! Oh well, sorry HB. Not my intention.

I don't see how it really matters. At first I thought the original thread had been replaced, which would have wiped out some good info, but I'm cool with the merge. Who started either thread matters not to me as long as all the info is still here.

:mug:

How did these turn out? Light sauce on the inside? What else did you put in it?

I had left over pulled pork in the freezer that i thawed by heating it in BBQ sauce on the stove. The filling was the meat mixture, shredded cheese (chipolte cheddar), and green onions. The package was wrapped in my own sourdough (which over rose and lost it's gluten.

I had left over pulled pork in the freezer that i thawed by heating it in BBQ sauce on the stove. The filling was the meat mixture, shredded cheese (chipolte cheddar), and green onions. The package was wrapped in my own sourdough (which over rose and lost it's gluten.

Sounds yummy! I'm thinking of trying something similar with some left over spare ribs tonight.

What if you took the spareribs or pulled pork and, instead of leavened bread, you sealed little dollups up in wanton skins and then either deep fried or give a quick blanch and then a sear with a little peanut oil?

First Grilled Pizza attempt. The round was on a pizza sheet with holes and the rectangular was on the sheet pan. Definitely going to get another round pizza pan. Made for a nicer crust.

Oh, and the beer is my attempt at Revvy's Belgian Blonde (w/Ardennes). Damn nice beer! Thanks for the recipe Revvy!! :mug:

Pizza nite.jpg

Pizza nite 2.jpg

What if you took the spareribs or pulled pork and, instead of leavened bread, you sealed little dollups up in wanton skins and then either deep fried or give a quick blanch and then a sear with a little peanut oil?

I've done this too and they are super yummy. When brushed with a touch of olive oil they are easily oven 'fried'. I make them BBQ, Buffalo, etc...

First Grilled Pizza attempt. The round was on a pizza sheet with holes and the rectangular was on the sheet pan. Definitely going to get another round pizza pan. Made for a nicer crust.

Oh, and the beer is my attempt at Revvy's Belgian Blonde (w/Ardennes). Damn nice beer! Thanks for the recipe Revvy!! :mug:

A pizza stone or something similar is well worth the investment

I learned something this week, made homemade mozzarella to top neapolitan pizza with my US-05 pizza dough, which as I posted earlier, tends to produce a dough that is lacking flavor but has a great texture. Anyway, apparently I use way less salt than commercially prepared pizza because it was rather bland all the way around, I had to salt the frickin pizza to get the flavor to pop. I used 2 tsp of salt for a 1 gallon batch of mozz, I guess that just isn't enough.

@ Bensiff, we have a well used and aged Pampered Chef Pizza stone that lives in the oven. Afraind to put it on the grill for fear of breaking it and experiencing the Irish Redheads wrath! I might pick up one at the big blue box store and try it.

@ Bensiff, we have a well used and aged Pampered Chef Pizza stone that lives in the oven. Afraind to put it on the grill for fear of breaking it and experiencing the Irish Redheads wrath! I might pick up one at the big blue box store and try it.

I do the same, pizza stone is always at the bottom of my oven, I don't know how many have broken over the years. I just keep using them until they are in too many pieces to deal with. I have been thinking about getting a Big Green Egg stone in hopes that its ceramic is more resilient but those are pretty pricey.

Your pizza stone will be fine on the grill, the only thing you need to worry about is really fast changes in temperature. Like don't heat it up to 500 and then throw it in a pile of snow or something. I keep my pizza stone in the oven too and I'm hoping some day I can find a bigger baking stone (larger dimensions and a lot thicker) to keep in my oven in addition to my pizza stone. I tend to think that the big rock in there adds thermal mass so it would theoretically make your oven run at more of a consistent temperature and not cycle on and off as often.

But anyway...don't worry about putting it on your grill, it can handle the heat. I ran my pizza stone through the self cleaning cycle in my oven not too long ago to clean up a cast iron pan and it handled it just fine.

I do the same, pizza stone is always at the bottom of my oven, I don't know how many have broken over the years. I just keep using them until they are in too many pieces to deal with. I have been thinking about getting a Big Green Egg stone in hopes that its ceramic is more resilient but those are pretty pricey.

I broke a couple of cheaper stones until I smartened up and purchased one of these http://bakingstone.com/

It's been 4 years and 3 moves and countless cycles in the oven and it's still in once piece

Angela H (customer review) said:
The American Metal craft Stone 15 15" Round Ceramic Pizza baking Stone. It is great for restaurant's, and even home use. I love Making my pizza rings with these. Do not wash with soap, water only. They distribute heat evenly and work perfect every time.

um...........uh...........I mean........did she..............PIZZA RINGS???????

WTF are pizza rings? Must Know Now.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ame...=PLA&gclid=CNHm7f-LkbgCFclDMgodIDMAFA#reviews

*EDIT* looks like a doughnut shaped calzone.....meh.

Back