The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how I make my Buffalo chicken pizza and I'm from Buffalo, so I must know (ha, just kidding).

I mix Franks Buffalo wing sauce with blue cheese dressing and use that as the sauce. Put the diced, fried chicken on top. Top with mozzarella cheese, then purple onions, diced celery and sliced banana peppers. Great crunch from the celery and great flavor from the sauce/blue cheese.

Here's a half Buffalo chicken/half veggie as it was cooking on the grill.

eZnPmCi.jpg

I got a wild hair and decided to try my hand at homemade pizza tonight. I had done some bread but this was more involved but well worth it. I used pizza crust yeast and all purpose bleached white flower (because I didn't know any better). I used some pizza sauce from a jar as well. As far as toppings, chicken, sliced ham, black olives, red onion, colby jack cheese, red bell pepper, basil and tomatoes (the last three from the garden). I added crushed red pepper, garlic powder, oregano and thyme to the crust mix. I'm really pleased with how it came out, but am afraid I've found yet another hobby that will consume my time. After reading many pages of this thread and drooling over you guy's creations I'm going to step it up next time. I'm gonna start with some good flour and homemade sauce. Anyway, here are a couple pics of my first pie. Sorry for the bad phone pics.

IMAG1017.jpg

IMAG1020.jpg

This is how I make my Buffalo chicken pizza and I'm from Buffalo, so I must know (ha, just kidding).

I mix Franks Buffalo wing sauce with blue cheese dressing and use that as the sauce. Put the diced, fried chicken on top. Top with mozzarella cheese, then purple onions, diced celery and sliced banana peppers. Great crunch from the celery and great flavor from the sauce/blue cheese.

Here's a half Buffalo chicken/half veggie as it was cooking on the grill.

eZnPmCi.jpg

That, my friend, is AWESOME! I'm going to have to try the Frank's & blue cheese, that's a flavour I can see working very very well with pizza. Thanks for sharing your idea/recipe!
Regards, GF. :mug:

So much win on this page alone.......

With MY chicken pizza raw bacon goes on top to brown and drip it's goodness in DEEP ;)

cheezydemon3 said:
So much win on this page alone.......

With MY chicken pizza raw bacon goes on top to brown and drip it's goodness in DEEP ;)

That's what she said

I got a wild hair and decided to try my hand at homemade pizza tonight. I had done some bread but this was more involved but well worth it. I used pizza crust yeast and all purpose bleached white flower (because I didn't know any better). I used some pizza sauce from a jar as well. As far as toppings, chicken, sliced ham, black olives, red onion, colby jack cheese, red bell pepper, basil and tomatoes (the last three from the garden). I added crushed red pepper, garlic powder, oregano and thyme to the crust mix. I'm really pleased with how it came out, but am afraid I've found yet another hobby that will consume my time. After reading many pages of this thread and drooling over you guy's creations I'm going to step it up next time. I'm gonna start with some good flour and homemade sauce. Anyway, here are a couple pics of my first pie. Sorry for the bad phone pics.

What's with the perfectly round crust? I'm appalled! Appalled, I tell you!

Kidding. Looks great!

You could substitute ranch, which is what everyone seems to use here, but in Buffalo it's blue cheese or nothing with wings :)

Not for a buffalo wing pizza... but I love ranch dressing as a sauce for chicken and mushroom (preferably something like chanterelles) pie. Or alfredo sauce with mushrooms and chicken sausage.

This isn't a pizza, but after reading that I had to share this:

Hasbrown pie with bacon crust on top. :D

Not JUST a crust...that is a bacon weave. Google that term and prepare to be amazed.

Your cholesterol may jump a few point just by looking at some of those photos.

Not JUST a crust...that is a bacon weave. Google that term and prepare to be amazed.

Your cholesterol may jump a few point just by looking at some of those photos.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with bacon weaves. I was just pointing out that it was a pie with bacon as a crust. :ban:

I think I just had a porkgasm! :D
I am so going to try that this weekend; any recipe details you care to share?

I think I just almost vomited!!!!!

Envisioning your "porkgasm" lol.

;)

PIZZA TONIGHT IT IS!!!!!!! Carbs be blowed!!!! (I certainly hope they enjoy being blowed, I know I would :()

Boy! GF and I took this ship down fast!!!! ;)

N7KMS said:
There is a pretty cool blog I read called Food in my Beard and yesterdays post was a hummus pizza with feta and olives and all the good Greek fixin's. http://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/2013/08/hummus-pizza.html

Place in Grand Rapids, called roses bar and grill I think (many years ago) had a great Greek pizza with the feta, olives, bay scallops, and some other great toppings. Wish I had their exact list of toppings as it has been a very long time since I ate that pie, but would like to try and recreate.

Ill check out the link for some inspiration.

TD

I'm a fan of both pizza and scallops but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around them both together. Not a value judgement but they dont seem complimentary to me.

CreamyGoodness said:
I'm a fan of both pizza and scallops but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around them both together. Not a value judgement but they dont seem complimentary to me.

They were the small ones. It's not on their menu anymore.

Actually shrimp and small scallops in marinara can be quite good! I would go with a "sauce" pizza, not just sliced tomatoes for that one....lots of garlic and oregano.....or just possibly an heavy cream steeped with some almost burnt garlic and reduced a bit.....

Large scallops should be eaten like steak. Rare, seared, perhaps a GOURMET little bit of sauce or chimmichurri etc, but for the most part with a fork.

Bay scallops are fully approved for pizza, pasta, enchilads, CREPES....(there is an effing tear of atangent I could be persuaded to take ;))...hmm.......dammit I love how this thread makes me think!!

I.......oh god.......I have been unfaithful......
You all in this thread are all my brothers...(melana been in here??)
Anyhow....made this awesome tomato garlic pie (HEAVY BASIL on the very bottom)...

ForumRunner_20130807_211144.jpg

When I realized....I WAS MORE EXCITED ABOUT THE DIP.....

Crushed garlic, fresh herbs, a pinch of Cavenders (or salt and pepper) olive oil.....

ForumRunner_20130807_211424.png

I dip the crust of course, but the whole damned pizza is FANTASTIC dipped in it...

Actually shrimp and small scallops in marinara can be quite good! I would go with a "sauce" pizza, not just sliced tomatoes for that one....lots of garlic and oregano.....or just possibly an heavy cream steeped with some almost burnt garlic and reduced a bit.....

Large scallops should be eaten like steak. Rare, seared, perhaps a GOURMET little bit of sauce or chimmichurri etc, but for the most part with a fork.

Bay scallops are fully approved for pizza, pasta, enchilads, CREPES....(there is an effing tear of atangent I could be persuaded to take ;))...hmm.......dammit I love how this thread makes me think!!

Amen Brothers, Amen. Don't be afraid to toss those little shell suckers on top of a big bunch of parm cheese along with a bit of olive oil either. Good stuff!

cheezydemon3 said:
I.......oh god.......I have been unfaithful......
You all in this thread are all my brothers...(melana been in here??)
Anyhow....made this awesome tomato garlic pie (HEAVY BASIL on the very bottom)...

When I realized....I WAS MORE EXCITED ABOUT THE DIP.....

Crushed garlic, fresh herbs, a pinch of Cavenders (or salt and pepper) olive oil.....

I dip the crust of course, but the whole damned pizza is FANTASTIC dipped in it...

Now I'm a brother?

Anyway that looks awesome!

I made a pizza the other day inspired by my recent trip to France. Crust just a little bit thinner then I felt comfortable making, goat cheese, smoked salmon, and butter. No sauce. Was amazing. Very different then what I have eaten before. Something I would recommend trying at least once.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! :mug:

I tried this recipethis past weekend. Maybe this "Black Label" bacon is different than the thick sliced, smoked bacon I used, but it was quite a grease-bomb. I also added a diced onion & a couple cloves of chopped garlic to the hashbrowns, along with a bit of sage & black pepper. It was tasty, but I think it can be improved on.

I think maybe using cottage bacon (much less fat) would be a good start. I also think using regular hashbrowns might be better. Keep the onion, garlic, sage & black pepper; maybe add a wee bit of thyme. I used sharp NY cheddar cheese, it was good, but I think a more flavourful cheese would be better; maybe a smoked cheese. Might be good to scramble a couple eggs & pour them in to fill any empty spaces. Could also add some chunks of sausage to the filling, maybe something like chorizo.

Have you tried microwaving the bacon for a minute or so on a thick layer of paper towels before using in the lattice? It's been my experience that the microwave takes some of the fat out and the bacon gets oh so crispy in the oven (or grill) after.

Nice, now I want bacon.

Have you tried microwaving the bacon for a minute or so on a thick layer of paper towels before using in the lattice? It's been my experience that the microwave takes some of the fat out and the bacon gets oh so crispy in the oven (or grill) after.

Nice, now I want bacon.

Only made that recipe once, but the microwave thing might work well. I did think about pre-baking the bottom bacon crust, but thought I'd have to use another pan on top as a press, so the crust would maintain its shape.

I also thought abou maybe using a pan with some small holes poked in the bottom to allow the grease to drain & another pan under to catch it. Also thought about a sort of crumbled bacon crust, held together with eggs.

Thanks for the micowave idea! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Made a pizza today basically using this recipe from Serious Eats until the baking part, which I used the grill for.

I did no knead crust, let it rise overnight, put in cast iron and let relax, then spread out in pan and topped with diced garlic, sauce, cheese, peppers, onions, artichoke hearts, basil and a pesto drizzle (I like a lot of toppings). Pre-heated the grill on high. Put the pan on and turned down the heat since I've had issues with uneven heating, so I figured it would be better to have a more indirect heat than direct heat, but it ended up taking about 20 minutes total. It was excellent, but it was almost too crispy, but not brown enough on the bottom for me, so I think I'd keep the heat up to med to high to try to brown it faster. Overall, it worked out great and I will definitely be using this method again.

Pics:
EB7BLNg.jpg

ecspXWY.jpg

KG4nN5b.jpg

I would turn the cast iron upside down. That would put the pizza higher with no sides blocking and possibly brown the top better on the grill. (lid close of course) maybe flip the pan over right before sliding the uncooked pizza onto it.

What I do know about cast iron is that it is a righteous conductor of heat. Putting a cold CI pan on the grill might slow the cooking process for a few minutes until the metal heats up. Perhaps cook the pizza on an inverted pan as CD suggests and preheat the CI with the grill before adding the pizza.

That pizza looks awesome btw.

Back