The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve had a Detroit pizza pan from Loyds sitting around for awhile. I finally decided to give it a go today.

I used King Arthur’s Detroit style recipe which uses a same day dough. My biggest misstep I believe was not cubing the cheese smaller to allow it to get down and make those crispy edges. Otherwise, it was excellent!

C709F898-9975-4DF6-9228-E2193554B930.jpeg
5691E6BE-B79E-47F9-93BD-DC2BCBA92A9E.jpeg
C166624A-5B52-4E28-98A4-DB20F9E2CEC9.jpeg
1EA4CD73-3383-4904-AB99-E80321E8ADF7.jpeg

I’ve had a Detroit pizza pan from Loyds sitting around for awhile. I finally decided to give it a go today.

I used King Arthur’s Detroit style recipe which uses a same day dough. My biggest misstep I believe was not cubing the cheese smaller to allow it to get down and make those crispy edges. Otherwise, it was excellent!

View attachment 780610View attachment 780611View attachment 780612View attachment 780613
I too have a Detroit pan from Lloyds sitting around, that I need to have a go with! Looks awesome! Nice job.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but there a thing on the Internet called "lunch lady pizza". (look it up) The dough is *very* wet (almost a batter) and it contains a lot of powdered milk for some reason. You pour the batter into a parchment-lined rectangular sheet pan, and you'll have to spread it a bit because there's enough gluten it doesn't really flow like a batter but almost. Prebake the crust, add the sauce and toppings and cheese, then bake it again.

I tried it a few weeks ago; it turned out okay, although it burned because I baked in in a black pan instead of shiny in an oven I'm not familiar with, and all that lactose from the milk. Thinking of trying again, with a more traditional pizza dough recipe but with very high hydration -- something like 85%.

Any comments? :) Is 85% a reasonable number, or is it too high and maybe I should go 75%? I'll be using high-protein bread flour.

1/3 salami and jalapenos, 1/3 salami, 1/3 just cheese. (the salami is under the cheese) First time I've baked in one of these shiny new Nordic Ware pans, and the bottom of the crust didn't brown at all. The pizza is still pretty good but only if I put the slice in a very hot dry skillet for a minute or so to crisp up and brown the bottom. The dough had 400 grams of bread flour, 300 ml of water, a teaspoon of salt, 2 tsp of yeast, and 2 TBSP of olive oil.
IMG_20220913_173409012.jpg

Last edited:
I'm surprised with the results a friend of mine is getting from freezing and thawing dough. I thought that would kill the yeast and ruin the texture, but it seems to be working for him

I'm surprised with the results a friend of mine is getting from freezing and thawing dough. I thought that would kill the yeast and ruin the texture, but it seems to be working for him
I just make sure to put the frozen dough in the fridge the day before I plan to use it, and then take it out of the fridge a few hours before I make the pizza. If I try to defrost the dough quickly at room temp it seems to be harder to work with.

whole wheatcrust made with sourdough discard. Arugula from the garden, butter garlic sausage, onion, red pepper, dried herbs, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan. Olive oil and fresh garlic base. Cooked on my little Chargriller Akorn kamado grill at 450f. Crispy crust with just a little smoky flavor.

Attachments

• 01C0ED44-F8EF-44BD-B8DE-5F2D56BEF951.jpeg
    01C0ED44-F8EF-44BD-B8DE-5F2D56BEF951.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I made Buffalo chicken pizza for lunch today. I used my sour dough discard for most of the dough since I hate wasting it. It was good but it didn't rise much and I prefer my dough more bready. It worked better when I added the discard to my normal dough. The spots that look like mold are mold - it's crumbled blue cheese. Sauce was a mix of buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing.

20221113_140102.jpg

I was playing around with par baking my crust prior to loading it with toppings. My plan is to have a bunch of pizza crusts in the freezer so if we get a craving for pizza I can just pull a crust or two out without needing to worry about making the dough.

This batch had a little bit of blue cornmeal added for a little color and bite. Overall I think this worked pretty well and now I just need to find time to make a huge batch of dough, haha.
PXL_20221213_014128469.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221213_014152249.PORTRAIT.jpg

I made some more pizza the other night. This time was straight AP flour. I still par baked the crusts so it was easier to have friends assemble the toppings without having to worry about rolling out all the dough.

Some of the pizzas were:

* nashville hot chicken, onion, cilantro
* banana peppers, bell peppers, mushrooms, green chile
* pepperoni, green chile, mushroom
* artichoke hearts, mushroom, bell peppers

PXL_20221215_222339697.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221216_003006427.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221216_013417087.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221216_020053147.PORTRAIT.jpg

Here is one from earlier this year. Publix bulk Italian sausage is really good. The sauce is based on Stanislaus Saporito.

My Sicilians tend to look a little sloppy because I use plenty of cheese and sauce, but they are the best I've had anywhere. Nothing else comes close for me.

Also adding a shot of a tool I made to get them out of the pan.

Attachments

• 04 07 22 sicilian with sausage whole pie small.jpg
    04 07 22 sicilian with sausage whole pie small.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 04 07 22 sicilian with sausage underside small.jpg
    04 07 22 sicilian with sausage underside small.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 04 11 22 Pizza pan tool bottom small.jpg
    04 11 22 Pizza pan tool bottom small.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 0
Here is one from earlier this year. Publix bulk Italian sausage is really good. The sauce is based on Stanislaus Saporito.

My Sicilians tend to look a little sloppy because I use plenty of cheese and sauce, but they are the best I've had anywhere. Nothing else comes close for me.

Also adding a shot of a tool I made to get them out of the pan.
Another great pizza post - they always make me so hungry!

Very nice.

Not hard to do.

The only hard thing about making good pizza is finding a recipe you can trust. Maybe 1% aren't total garbage.
Agreed, I've been making pizza for a long time. My own crust, my own sauce and recently my own Italian sausage. Tomorrow I'll cheat a little, I bought some good French bread I'll use. Nice looking crust on your post.

Took a long time to get the crust just right. Lots of great suggestions here, a few thousand posts ago.

When summer comes back, I want to make more on the grill. Only started that last year which came in handy when our power was out for five days.

Chicken bacon ranch with spinach and broccoli and Homemade mozzarella. My second attempt at mozzarella. First one wasn’t great, this is much improved but mistakes were still made.
View attachment 810242
I found mozzarella is not as easy as it looks! Good on you to keep at it.

I found mozzarella is not as easy as it looks! Good on you to keep at it.
I’ve long wanted to make cheese but lack the room. My wife brought up mozzarella and we make a lot of pizzas so I thought I’d give it a shot. Her eye rolls as I’m giggling in the kitchen exclaiming when I was stretching the ropes out were intense.
I did find it interesting how it’s seen as beginner but yet the more I read on it, the more difficult it appears

Pizza aficionados,
Is there a website or YouTube channel that’s recommended for pizza beginners? For meat smoking there are several good channels including How to BBQ Right w Malcolm Reed etc.

I recently got a green mountain pellet grill attachment that apparently can get to 800f that I need to start using.

Something geared for beginners. I would love to make my own crust etc without going too far into a rabbit hole.

Back