The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned out this beauty last night. Paired well with my hefeweizen

20170201_191931.jpg

I highly recommend missing the mortgage for a month or put the brats in public school to buy some truffle oil. Spendy but so good.

My wife bought me a bottle of truffle oil as part of a bday gift many years ago. We still joke about it all the time.

We tried it on many things trying to like it; but it's so incredibly powerful that a mere drop on a full plate will completely overwhelm it with the aroma of gym feet. The taste is fairly benign but the smell gets stuck in your nose for hours. I've had it on dozen different dishes and could never find one where i thought it made it better.

I'm following along on this thread...I scrolled through some of the 100+ pages and it looks like people are referencing the dough more than anything but I didn't find any posts about how to make. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?
We do pizza night on the grill, no grill plate just straight onto the grates. I usually just buy dough from the local grocery that's made daily. But being in FL and having been to Philly and NY....there just is no comparison! I don't even know if we can get good dough down here.

I'm following along on this thread...I scrolled through some of the 100+ pages and it looks like people are referencing the dough more than anything but I didn't find any posts about how to make. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?
We do pizza night on the grill, no grill plate just straight onto the grates. I usually just buy dough from the local grocery that's made daily. But being in FL and having been to Philly and NY....there just is no comparison! I don't even know if we can get good dough down here.

Give some of these a shot: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/the-pizza-lab-three-doughs-to-know.html

My go to at the moment is the NY style since I don't have the heat to make a proper Neo pizza.

Also Peter Reinhart's recipes (and I recommend any of his books... Crust & Crumb or Bread Baker's Apprentice):
https://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/

No knead is nice recipe, I posted it a couple times

Didn't make pizza, but bought a "Chicken Dill" pizza from the craft brewery in Cadillac. It's on my list of pizzas to try to make at home.

Basically it's a cream sauce with chicken chunks, dill pickle slices, dillweed, and tomatoes. Probably some seasoning in/on the crust.

Everyone I know who's heard of it thought it sounded terrible, but everyone who's tried it loves it.

So I followed the link given to me above and I made the NY style dough..or better yet, attempted to make it. I followed the instructions to the letter and when I pulled the dough out of the food proc. it was a sticky mess. I spent the next 10 min or so adding flour to the table and kneading it as best I could. I don't know if I ever actually would have passed the "window pane" test. I finally just cut it into 3rds and threw it into a gallon ziplock and into the fridge. We shall see how this comes out in a day or so.

Tried making a Deep Dish pizza inside my cast iron pan. Mostly successful.

I used 2 packets of instant dough mix for the bottom. Greased the pan and pressed the dough into it, raising the sides. Inserted alfredo sauce, chicken, pickles, shallots. Pressed 3rd dough mixture across the top and added a bit more alredo, the rest of the chicken, and some chives.

So the crust i used was "deep Dish" type. Turns out this stuff rises like a MF! The whole pizza was lifting out of the pan it got so fluffy! So I ended up using way too much crust, but it was still really awesome. Could have used a bit more stuff on the inside, but I'm not complaining. I'll cut back next time on the amount of crust.

Homer, I've had great success with the dough method used in this recipe for deep dish.

She uses baking pans, as do I, but I'm sure cast iron will work just as well if not better.

:mug:

i had some pretty good success the other day with a cracker crust thin crust pizza. grabbed a recipe from here.
finally broke down and tried it--no yeast, only baking soda. fantastic for the thinner crust altho i probably prefer the yeast based thin crust that rises in the fridge...although it takes muuuch longer.

Rushed to the store after work because I wanted stuff for homemade pizza (storebought crust...) and I forgot cheese :( So... hope it's still good with a few sprinkles of parmesan/romano. haha

pizza noob here. I see recipes calling for instant yeast, which seem to be what makes the flavor for longer wait times, but anyway. can Belgian yeast or the like be used to make more flavorful dough, or am I a drunken fool?

Google Roberta's pizza dough in The NY Times. Very good and straight forward.

pizza noob here. I see recipes calling for instant yeast, which seem to be what makes the flavor for longer wait times, but anyway. can Belgian yeast or the like be used to make more flavorful dough, or am I a drunken fool?

It can but it's not ideal. I have found that beer yeast takes longer to rise, but not better.at best, I would mix them.

How about the next time you make a starter with a Belgian strain, you build up an extra cup or so and use that for your pizza liquid. It will have Belgian character and plenty of active yeast? I might add some amount of bakers yeast as well, piggy baking on what ericbw said, there will be some longer chain sugars I would think.

i had some pretty good success the other day with a cracker crust thin crust pizza. grabbed a recipe from here.
finally broke down and tried it--no yeast, only baking soda. fantastic for the thinner crust altho i probably prefer the yeast based thin crust that rises in the fridge...although it takes muuuch longer.

I might try this. ...but without aluminum. Baking powders are available both with and without aluminium compounds. Some people prefer not to use baking powder with aluminium because they believe it gives food a vaguely metallic taste and aluminium is not an essential mineral. Others object because of possible health concerns associated with aluminium intake.

IMG_0914_zpsslv5uwrw.jpg

Sicillian Cauliflower Pizza
- I originally discovered this recipe through Blue Apron. You basically make a sauce with the cauliflower and tomato paste with garlic, capers and oregano and use that to top the pizza along with fresh mozz and golden raisins. It's so good we make it regularly now, definitely worth a try if you've never had it. The cauliflower adds a nice meat-like texture and the flavors meld really well on pizza.

Have any of you guys ever used the smaller table top wood fired ovens, like the Uuni or Pizzacraft? I love my pizza steel, but these seem like they'd be really cool to get that nice wood-fired smokey flavor; the high temperatures would be great for searing meat and other grilled foods also.

The Uuni Pro is on Indiegogo now for early backers, and their previous pizza oven lines typically get pretty good reviews. I'm thinking pretty hard about the $499 for an outdoor oven that can cook full size pizzas; it can use multiple fuel types (wood, pellets, charcoal, propane) and is still pretty portable.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/uuni-pro-the-quad-fuelled-outdoor-oven-pizza-cooking--2#/

Anyone have any experience with these products?

16583943_902863936483172_1369696484085202944_n.jpg

xsuhscod6oprt0dxb27x.jpg

I need your help guys. I've got marinated teriyaki chicken that needs grilling and I would like to make a pie with it. That being said, I think pineapple and Canadian bacon belong a million miles away from pies (no offense to whoever posted a pic on the last page of exactly that). What else could I do to make a pizza with it? At this point I'm thinking of freezing it and trying something else haha

I need your help guys. I've got marinated teriyaki chicken that needs grilling and I would like to make a pie with it. That being said, I think pineapple and Canadian bacon belong a million miles away from pies (no offense to whoever posted a pic on the last page of exactly that). What else could I do to make a pizza with it? At this point I'm thinking of freezing it and trying something else haha

Rapini and an egg. I dunno that's my 2c off the top of my head. I really like bitter greens with sweet teriyaki etc. And FWIW what you guys call Canadian bacon is basically just ham. While I completely agree that "Hawaiian pizza" is the tool of the devil, made with Canadian bacon it is not.

That makes me think... I really need to cure a proper peameal bacon and get it on some pizza... mmm.

Rapini and an egg. I dunno that's my 2c off the top of my head. I really like bitter greens with sweet teriyaki etc. And FWIW what you guys call Canadian bacon is basically just ham. While I completely agree that "Hawaiian pizza" is the tool of the devil, made with Canadian bacon it is not.

That makes me think... I really need to cure a proper peameal bacon and get it on some pizza... mmm.

I hate the term Canadian bacon because it's truly just ham mascaraing as bacon. So I prefer calling it ham but most people don't get that.

Canadian bacon is a legitimate pizza topping. It's pork, and it's cured. It belongs on pizza.

Pineapple on the other hand.....

Back