The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza night! Pepperoni, mushrooms, and basil; artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, onion, Roma tomato, banana peppers, feta, and basil.

IMG_20170922_193811_008.jpg

IMG_20170922_193811_010.jpg

Am I the only one making pizzas any more? Grilled chicken with a homemade marinara. Mozz, onions, olives, sun-dried toms, and fresh basil from the garden. Looks a little burnt cuz A. I over did it a touch cuz I was watching mnf and B. I used a black garlic butter on the crust that added to the browning.

100% homegrown hop hb IPA getting in on the photo op

View attachment 1506999785754.jpg

Apparently I deleted my hbt app. Just realized. I've been making pizza too, look at me!
Any who, I need advice about kale. Anyone use it on pie? Gonna get some from my garden have lacinto and curly but how do I treat it? My wife makes a salad with it but dresses it with lemon juice over night to address some of its over fibrous character. How do I use it? Today's pizzView attachment IMAG2638.jpgView attachment IMAG2637.jpgView attachment IMAG2635.jpgas were porcini, prosciutto and truffle, and a butternut, sub dried and pine nut with brie.
Served with a Brett beer that was past prime, unfortunately, because the bottling yeast looked like black pepper when it drained, SAD! (trump voice)View attachment IMAG2639.jpg

Got some of this coming Wednesday
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4ONFMY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It has a mix of yeast and sourdough bacteria.
Hopefully going to get me the Neo crust I've been after
I'll be back at it soon for sure
Threw my back out 2 weeks ago, so that slowed me down for a bit...

Cant wait to hear about how this works. Sorry to hear about the back. That sucks. Hope you heal quickly.

@hotwatermusic glad you re back. Pizza looks awesome as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant wait to hear about how this works. Sorry to hear about the back. That sucks. Hope you heal quickly.

@hotwatermusic glad you re back. Pizza looks awesome as usual.

Thanks. Headed out of town. This Sunday should be za night. Will post.

Second attempt at a Di Fara style grandma. Wife's favorite NY slice, and today is her bday...
I had to flip the dough out of the pan and re oil because it soaked up to much oil/I didn't use enough.
The first pic was before that circus.
Live and learn.

Baked with a simple San marzano sauce that I had cooked down, then topped and baked again with the sauce(except raw) on top.

Make cheese bread w the other dough.

View attachment 1508114157426.jpg

View attachment 1508114189940.jpg

View attachment 1508114200280.jpg

View attachment 1508114215205.jpg

View attachment 1508114337929.jpg

Second attempt at a Di Fara style grandma. Wife's favorite NY slice, and today is her bday...
I had to flip the dough out of the pan and re oil because it soaked up to much oil/I didn't use enough.
The first pic was before that circus.
Live and learn.

Baked with a simple San marzano sauce that I had cooked down, then topped and baked again with the sauce(except raw) on top.

Make cheese bread w the other dough.
Nice work. Haven't seen you with a grandma before. That looks text book. Doing a pizza and beer trip to NY early December hopefully I'll get to try the original.

Nice work. Haven't seen you with a grandma before. That looks text book. Doing a pizza and beer trip to NY early December hopefully I'll get to try the original.

Di Fara is great
Best Pizza in Williamsburg is good(guy that does the Pizza Show's joint)
Of course, your classic places
Williamsburg Pizza has a good Grandma as well.
Edit:
Thanks btw. It's definitely a different style. I've heard of temps from 450-700 for it.
In my home oven (electric), I will go with 550(Max) and put it on the bottom rack. It takes a lot to get that bottom browned correctly. Also, I used 70% hydration with w 70/30 bread/00 flour mix. Gonna push the hydration up even more next time. Somewhat to counter the (hopefully) higher heat. But, it wasn't wet to finish at all. Could have used more sauce on the parbake actually.
I did have to pull it out mid bake to pull water off the cheese. It was pooling badly. I used a blend of "fresh" moz and something similar to park reg. It was an Americanized version with slightly higher hydration and creamier. I couldn't find the Gran padano Di Fara uses local. Will use more next time. The San Marzano whole tomatoes (hand crushed fine), garlic(heavy) and picnch of oregano, fresh basil, fresh ground pepper and salt was outstanding. Doubt I'll ever do anything different with that.
On the dough, I'd recommend cold proofing it in a square/rectangular container while leaving it somewhat underfermented,warming to near room temp, then applying to the heavily oiled pan and letting it rest for 2-3 hours. Once it proofs up, apply pressure with your finger tips only. Just enough to get it flush-ish. Don't push all the way to the bottom of the pan as you will crush the cell structure.

I can't remember the origin of the Grandma. I know it's contested a bit
One spot was on the Pizza show, late season one or early season two.

Cheers

Made ten or so with the nieces and nephew at the weekend, in the wfo . They shaped and topped them, I cooked them so am responsible for the hole in the long one :)
kQjYgpF.jpg

RqbQ68V.jpg

I love how those filthy little american pepperonis just shrivel into a little disk and you get that cradle of oil... om nom nom nom

if I were to ask for pepperoni I'd get a small pepper

focaccia rather than pizza but I put mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and onions on it so I think it counts :). Used too small a pan so it was a bit thick but was rather tasty

zPya8dE.jpg

Kot6iFk.jpg

Ditto on the sourdough. Can’t believe a culture that has been dormant for 9 months woke up so quick.

This was mostly instant yeast risen but i put a smidge of sourdough starter in for additional flavor.

View attachment IMG_0076.jpg

Back