The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dough was cold fermented for 2 Days, and each pie was in the oven for about 90-120 seconds. I may gain some weight in the next few months.[/QUOTE]
If you don't mind the question, why the ferment? Is there a beer analogy in there somewhere? If the answer could be not too complicated, just the very basics? I do pizza but am not educated extensively (in anything). Thanks!

I kind of like this thread better than the beer ones. When I post an answer to what I know is a basic answer, I STILL have to be ULTRA careful or someone will point out the most minor thing even if it's understood without writing it out.
[SOME] Beer people can be a little uptight, somewhat authoritarian about the process and, in fact, kind of _itchy.
This seems more laid back, more my style like, "Hey, that dough is cool! Look at those bubbles. How'd you hydrate that, man? It rocks!"
"Oh, yeah, thanks, thanks a lot!" [gives recipe]
Don't get me wrong: I love making beer but it is beer.
Is there a pizza club I can join? If not, I'm happy with this.

My 2nd attempt at the Blackstone was last night. I'm getting the hang of it. The all Caputo "00" dough and home-made sauce were definitely an improvement over my last effort.

View attachment 583730
The dough was cold fermented for 2 Days, and each pie was in the oven for about 90-120 seconds. I may gain some weight in the next few months.
I messed up using this forum stuff. Look near this area. I had a question for you, if you don't mind.

Quicky Pizza.

Fife flour 75% hydration
Onions, Tomato, Coastal Cheddar, dill and Basil. Spiced up with my own grown pepper spice mix.

WO4EspV.jpg

jRq2wIF.jpg
You've already won "Most Interesting Pizza of the Decade." I would totally eat that pizza. I'm surprised at the skill level. I guess I should have expected beer makers to be competent in other arenas.
Anyway, well done.

If you don't mind the question, why the ferment? Is there a beer analogy in there somewhere? If the answer could be not too complicated, just the very basics? I do pizza but am not educated extensively (in anything). Thanks!

It is a ferment, but not in a beer sense... The yeast work on the sugars to create CO2 and alcohol, but at a small scale. It's really the flavor and texture that we are after. (So maybe it is kind of in a beer sense)

It is a ferment, but not in a beer sense... The yeast work on the sugars to create CO2 and alcohol, but at a small scale. It's really the flavor and texture that we are after. (So maybe it is kind of in a beer sense)
good.totally makes sense. thanks.

Thanks.

Caputo Flour: 100%
Water: 63%
Salt: 3%
Yeast (ADY): .75%

I mixed/kneaded the dough and then bulk fermented @ refrigerator temps for +/- 24 Hours. Then made 280g dough balls and kept them at 45°f for 18 Hours. Then let them rest at room temp until shaping and baking.

This was my first time using Caputo Flour and I think it really was the trick to getting the nice "leoparding" on the crust. That and the high heat that the Blackstone is capable of. In fact, I might need to turn it down a little next time, since the bottoms were a little burned.

Thanks for the info.

I bought a small bag of 00 flour to try, but should researched it first as I'm not sure my Pizzeria Pronto will get hot enough. It will still be pizza.

You've already won "Most Interesting Pizza of the Decade." I would totally eat that pizza. I'm surprised at the skill level. I guess I should have expected beer makers to be competent in other arenas.
Anyway, well done.

lol, Thanks!
I do make some crazy stuff.

David nice comments. Appreciate your opinion. More later from me on that.

Can someone help me. I keep seeing recipes with percents but I dont know how it works.

It's usually refer to as Baker's percentage, and is based on the weight of the flour (or Water, if it is listed as 100%). Everything else is a percentage of the weight of the flour. So, to make math simple:

Flour: (100%) 1000g
Water: (63%) 630g
Salt: (3%) 30g
AD Yeast: (.75%) 7.5g

I prefer to use it because weighing ingredients makes it much easier to be consistent. It also becomes dead simple to scale a recipe.

Thank you very much. Especially like the example, thanks. So my recipe, laheys no knead recipe, the recipe above from ozarks call for 6.5 cups flour to 3 cups water and is considered a moist dough. At 63 percent that would be slightly over 4 cups of water. I have seen many say they even go higher in water. How wet is that dough and also how do you work it when its that wet? Thanks again, love the chance to try something new, but need some help fetting going. Also what happens when the water percentage increases? I know that it is easier to mix.

David those pizzas look great. Never heard of detroit pizza being from Fort collins, do you mind sharing the style details. Is that square pizza sauced 2x or just a dollop on top? Sry lots of questions today!

I have four pounds dough in fridge bucket so wont be long.

Unfortunately, measuring by volume probably doesn't work with Baker's percentage nearly as well. How packed is your scoop of flour compared to mine? When I use a new recipe, one of the first things I do is convert it to a weight based recipe. That way I can make minor adjustments to the recipe by changing the percentages.

As far as the hydration, 63% is a little on the wet side but is still pretty workable. It's a little too stiff to use Bernet's "slap and fold" technique so I just knead it on the counter.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Especially like the example, thanks. So my recipe, laheys no knead recipe, the recipe above from ozarks call for 6.5 cups flour to 3 cups water and is considered a moist dough. At 63 percent that would be slightly over 4 cups of water. I have seen many say they even go higher in water. How wet is that dough and also how do you work it when its that wet? Thanks again, love the chance to try something new, but need some help fetting going. Also what happens when the water percentage increases? I know that it is easier to mix.

David those pizzas look great. Never heard of detroit pizza being from Fort collins, do you mind sharing the style details. Is that square pizza sauced 2x or just a dollop on top? Sry lots of questions today!

I have four pounds dough in fridge bucket so wont be long.

I use/estimate 125gm cup for flour and 225gm per cup water, so 6.5cups of flour and 3cups of water comes out to 83%.

around 65 to 67 is quite dry for me, 70% get a bit sticky and 75% feel pretty wet to me. I can hand knead up to 70% over that I use stretch and fold.

edit: I pretty much always weigh my ingredients the estimates are what I use to convert volume recipes. Like gromitdj said baker's percentages make scaling very easy.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Doh, volume vs weight. That makes sense. Then i wonder if i have pushed 90? I have worked some wet dough.

Ive read common recipes using 80% hydration, volume measuring is very inaccurate. Once the dough is two-three days old it is more workable.

.... By the way my latest is 80% hydration, I depends on the flour if it can handle hi hydration.
P1040331_FifeDough80percent-1000.jpg

Last edited:
That color is so interesting. Fife flour gives it that color? Looks like spent grain. Also looks tasty. I dont worry too much about amounts. I have made enough that I can tell by looking at it. Or at least thats what i am telling myself. I make bread, c rolls, or pizza and make a new batch. I do this all very quickly and keep my bucket full. I will need some convincing that using the same ingredients weighing everything is going to have different tasting results in the long run. Sometimes the dough sits in my fridge up to 2 weeks.

Ive done the odd dough for a couple weeks, awesome sourdough, nothing like it.
I grind my own so its whole, I dont sift it to remove some of the bran like others do. So it has the color of a dense whole flour.

Yesterday was my second attempt under the broiler. I had to leave the door open a little bit to keep it on. But with the second pizza it was too close and it burned the ring a little. I think the Searing hot heat might also be responsible for some bubble creation. I tore a piece of the burnt off so you can see what was under it. They had a really nice texture to them. This was also the first time I ever used fresh mozzarella only. The pizza burnt in 3 minutes. I think perhaps I want to put the steel back on the bottom and then move the pizza to the top or maybe put the steel on the bottom and turn the broiler on and leave the door open slowing down the top cooking.
20180823_183734.jpg
20180823_185257.jpg

Bought a new container of yeast earlier this week. Dough has been in the fridge for 2 days now and has 0 signs of rising. [emoji35]

Edit: guess this yeast isn’t showing up the party.

Last edited:
Did you add salt at the same time? salt kills yeast at the initial stages.

If salt killed yeast i would never have been able to make a single loaf of any bread in my entire life. This is brand new yeast and the first time I've ever had a loaf that didn't rise.

For pizza my process is to put all the ingredients in the mixer and bring it together with the paddle attachment, let it rest for 30 mins, then knead it with the dough hook. Works every time but this last one and the only thing that changed was new yeast.

I have the read that salt kills/slows down the yeast and recipes that say add it at the end of the dough building process, but I have also seen recipes that say add it all in the beginning. I have done it both ways but I normally add it about mid way through the flour additions to be safe.

@schematix, have you tried adding some of the new yeast to a warm sugar/water mixture to see it is still good? Maybe it was mishandled in storage before you got it.

My in-laws were processing tomatoes yesterday. I reallocated some for pizza sauce. Just added some popular supermarket seasoning pack and we canned it up.

Question pizza dough gurus. I am playing with a new dough I am trying to develop and I am struggling to get that really nice air bubbles in it. what is the trick in the dough? I have this idea I want to use BEER and BEER YEAST in the recipe for the dough. I am boiling the beer to remove the alcohol so the gluten can develop and it is OK at best but not AMAZING! I really would like to see more bubbles in the crust. Any help?

Cheers
Jay

Looking for more small bubbles or more of the big bubbles that get a nice burn on them?

What's your dough making process and ingredient list?

Looking for more small bubbles or more of the big bubbles that get a nice burn on them?

What's your dough making process and ingredient list?

Yeah I would like to see those really big bubbles in the crust that get all crunchy.

Right now I am using

800g 000 pizza flour
1 1/8 cup of boiled and cooled beer
re hydrated and proofed beer yeast in 1/2 cup of water. I think I used Munich classic
1 Tbls sugar
2 Tbls olive oil
1/2 Tbls oregano

mix and kneed for 20+ min till gluten is developed
separate in 10 oz balls and let rise or an hour or more.

The dough was really pillowy (if that's a word) and SUPER easy to toss but was a little more dense when cooked and very little bubbles (air pockets)

I built the recipe from scratch and really don't have a clue what I am doing but was just tossing around an idea and went for it.

Cheers
Jay

Here is 1 coming out of the Kizza oven. The taste is there almost where I want it. I would like a little more of an alcohol taste to the dough but its close!
Cheers
Jay
IMG_20180915_124608.jpg

Latest posts

Back