The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[
Poor mans wood fired oven. Gas grill with wood chunk and chips. I make the pie on the back of a parchment lined pan. Slide parchment and all onto stone. After 3 minutes, remove parchment from underneath. I shoot the stone with a laser thermometer. 450°F to 550°F is good. 10 to 15 minutes. Over 550°F will blacken the crust way to much in a very short time. Hydration as high as I can handle it (65 to 70%). A little cornmeal in the dough for crunch.[/QUOTE]

What kind of stone are you using, looks awesome.................cheers

Hmm, last time I tried my Steel on the grill I got it too hot, blackened it too quick and never went back to it. I'm going to have to try it at a lower temp because I don't want to heat the oven up. Although it will be hard to keep me off the griddle.

I think I found what I'm looking for. I saw Jim Lahey make a pizza and heated the oven to 500 and then switch to broil with the pizza in the top third.

Hmm, last time I tried my Steel on the grill I got it too hot, blackened it too quick and never went back to it. I'm going to have to try it at a lower temp because I don't want to heat the oven up. Although it will be hard to keep me off the griddle.

I think I found what I'm looking for. I saw Jim Lahey make a pizza and heated the oven to 500 and then switch to broil with the pizza in the top third.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Well hows it look so far. Keeping in mind I don't think I've ever had it and I'm from Colorado. When I was in Chicago the one time we got the stuffed pizza with two crusts. I used the real deep dish guys recipe. Shredded mozzarella because that's all I had, then a layer of sauteed peppers and onions from yesterday's barbecue. They were really good and caramelized. Then a layer of pepperoni, hamburger (all i had), and pizza sauce. Dashed with parmesean.
20180723_165740.jpg
20180723_165518.jpg
20180723_164450.jpg
20180723_164236.jpg

Yes sir, sauce on top. It protects the massive amount of toppings from over cooking, i read. Massive layers of cheese sausage and pepperoni. Each of these pans had a half pound raw beef and a pepperoni layer. That real deep dish site guy is pretty passionate about his chicago pizza. Has the history of it and more. It feels like a pretty legit source.

They look awesome, what, how did you bake them?

I have a WFO called a Maximus, it's similar to the pizza party ovens. Can thoroughly recommend them. I think bake time was about two minutes and a bit, so not quite neopolitan speeds

I'm back!!!!
Pilot run of my new(used)Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto on my Blichmann burner
The first pizza baked at 750 charred the bottom and under baked the top.
Over the course of four pizzas, I think I learned the oven pretty well.
The last za, the one with pepperoni, didn't need to be finished under the broiler.
About 600°F seems to be the sweet spot
Not much char, but a great crunch, wonderful cell structure and no gell layer to speak of.
Not bad for 4 hour dough speed proofed in a warm oven.
Neapolitan style dough
500g/.5liter water
23g sea salt
5g yeast
10g olive oil
1.7kg 00 flour
Made 4 decently thick 12" dough balls.
All and all, for $32 off of eBay, happy with the purchase.
By far closer than I ever got to NY brick oven style with my home oven at 550.
I halfway expected the burner to be too much, but it worked out well once I found how to tune it.
Cheers!View attachment 578549View attachment 578550View attachment 578551View attachment 578552View attachment 578553View attachment 578554

Thanks for posting about this pizza oven. When I first seen the post I thought that would be a good thing for my propane burners that are collecting dust since I went electric for brewing. The new price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay, but I checked a couple days ago and the new price was down to $89 on amazon so I bought one.

I used a bayou classic with a BG12 burner and the hole in the oven seemed like a perfect match. Took about 10min with a fairly low flame to get up to 700 according the built in thermometer. The pies were smaller than I normally do in the home oven but they cooked pretty fast, like 5min for a simple cheese pizza compared to 10mins in the home oven. All and all it worked pretty well, so thanks again for your post.

Need to work on the crust now. I was wondering about the measurements in your recipe, 1700grams of flour and 500grams of water seem like a pretty dry dough. Is that the correct proportions?

Came home from pool and kids were hungry and needed quick so i went with a pan. Mostly because the dough was so wet i could spread it with a spatula. I spread the wet doungh into pan and pre baked 10 minutes or so, then topped with cheese and pepperoni. Broil for a few secs at the end. Some pics of pre and post broil. Ok, nothing special other than i whipped it up start to finish in well under 30 minutes.
20180729_131129.jpg
20180729_131418.jpg
20180729_131730.jpg
20180729_131648.jpg

Used rest of wet dough. Kneeded in a massive amount of flour. Tried rolled out dough and layed in pan technique. Pinched up the side. Started with a brush of evoo, layer of mozzarella, layer of smoked diced ham, layer of hamburger, purple basil from garden and then sauce. I threw in some pics of the slices because I thought it was cool how they just stay together.

Edit, the scrappys wheels are turning. What about mozzarella, grilled chicken and alfredo sauce on top. The possibilities are endless :).
20180801_165118.jpg
20180801_165124.jpg
20180801_165400.jpg
20180801_170015.jpg
20180801_170025.jpg
20180801_170132.jpg

Last edited:
Used rest of wet dough. Kneeded in a massive amount of dough. Tried rolled out dough and layed in pan technique. Pinched up the side. Started with a brush of evoo, layer of mozzarella, layer of smoked diced ham, layer of hamburger, purple basil from garden and then sauce. I threw in some pics of the slices because I thought it was cool how they just stay together.View attachment 581756View attachment 581757View attachment 581758View attachment 581759View attachment 581760View attachment 581761
That looks awesome!! Everyone's pizza game here is so on point. I've been making pies regularly for years now but haven't strayed much as far as recipe & cooking technique. Have done a few right on the grill using Alton Brown's Good Eats recipe. Works well but a little tricky to pull off.

Inspired to try some deep dish. There's a local place here that sells wood-fired pizza that I've become obsessed with...love the hint of smoky flavor. Might try to mess around with wood chips to replicate it.

Pizza night last night with some recently kegged Red IPL (5.6%, motueka, Centennial, and galaxy). 70% H2O dough with 9hour rise, and one hour proof in smaller balls, but I think I kneaded it for a few too many minutes as it was a little tougher than others I’ve done at this hydration. Good nonetheless!

Edit: baked on coriarite pizza stone preheated at 550 with the broiler on.

IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg

Pizza for lunch. Broiler method was better. First one had pizza to low and it is white crust. I am so sick of the cheap bag mozzarella . These were lightly cheesed with boars head mozzarella slices, fresh mozzarella, and sargento provolone parmesean mix slices. Also procuitto and pepperoni. They were sooooooo much better than the kroger mozzarella.
20180805_122942.jpg
20180805_122135.jpg
20180805_122112.jpg
20180805_121221.jpg

Made eight the other day, didn't take any pics of the finished pizzas on the day, here's a couple of cold/reheat pics. I had pizza three meals in a row as we had some leftovers :)

reheat with a few extra toppings
PekTZNC.jpg

cold
wBrwR1i.jpg

YaskkVF.jpg

VSDwVop.jpg

WJKv5dz.jpg

Mexican pizza...

Using a wheat crust...

Sauced with Garlic, onion, New Mexican Chili Pepper, and tomato sauce with dried oregano.

Topped with diced beef arracherra and asadero, monterey, and cheddar.

Done on my Traeger with apple pellets.
20180808_220411.jpeg

Wow, how did the smoke taste on the pizza.
While it was tasty, I didn't notice it at all. I cooked it at 475F so with a pellet smoker the effect is more heat than smoke. Supposedly the smoke feature is more predominant at 350F and lower.

I tend to like total smoke bombs. This was not that.

This is my 2nd use of my Traeger. The other was reheated pecan smoked ribs.

Mines not the most glamorous but its my utility recipe, i make over and over. Its the 5 min artesian bread recipe. The no knead recipe posted on this thread is similar, but longer sit time. Mine is 3c water, 6.5 c flour, 1 tbl salt, 1 tble yeast. 2 hour rise. Put in fridge. The air i think comes from not overworking it also. I got lucky with these as i dont usually let them sit. They sat and i stretched easily and the crust didnt get beat up. Something i need to remember for next time.

I do this 2 ways, either serve the same day or refrigerate for at least 2 days, I like it the same day for texture but the flavor is better in the fridge, this makes 2 -12" semi thin crust pizzas

Ingredients

· 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups of flour
· 1 tb yeast
· 1 tb salt
· 1 tb sugar
· 1 tb olive oil
· 1 ½ cups warm water

Instructions
  1. Mix well in dough mixer, add flour or water to make a ball sticky
  2. Cover with plastic and let rise for 2 hours in a warm spot
  3. Add flour to the wet dough and pan and shape into a disk stretching out as far as you can
  4. Roll with dough roller to the edges of pan
  5. Cover and let rise again on the pan for an hour in a warm spot

Interesting. Near similar flour water ratios. It seems with yeast less is longer rise, more is shorter. I have seen and wonder about the 15 min recipes. I like the salt in that recipe fully seasoned surely. I think my pizza got its evoo when i spread it. Need to try sugar in my dough.

I like making both round and square. The round is just a round using the same dough (refrigerated) as I use for making the Detroit style. I'm trying to duplicate the pizza made by a place called Buddy's (opened in 1946), here in Detroit.
square pizza.jpg
16 inch pizza.jpg

My 2nd attempt at the Blackstone was last night. I'm getting the hang of it. The all Caputo "00" dough and home-made sauce were definitely an improvement over my last effort.

Pizza-2.jpg

The dough was cold fermented for 2 Days, and each pie was in the oven for about 90-120 seconds. I may gain some weight in the next few months.

My 2nd attempt at the Blackstone was last night. I'm getting the hang of it. The all Caputo "00" dough and home-made sauce were definitely an improvement over my last effort.

View attachment 583730
The dough was cold fermented for 2 Days, and each pie was in the oven for about 90-120 seconds. I may gain some weight in the next few months.
Your pizzas look delicious.

What was your cold fermented dough recipe?

Your pizzas look delicious.

What was your cold fermented dough recipe?
Thanks.

Caputo Flour: 100%
Water: 63%
Salt: 3%
Yeast (ADY): .75%

I mixed/kneaded the dough and then bulk fermented @ refrigerator temps for +/- 24 Hours. Then made 280g dough balls and kept them at 45°f for 18 Hours. Then let them rest at room temp until shaping and baking.

This was my first time using Caputo Flour and I think it really was the trick to getting the nice "leoparding" on the crust. That and the high heat that the Blackstone is capable of. In fact, I might need to turn it down a little next time, since the bottoms were a little burned.

Last edited:
View attachment 583730
The dough was cold fermented for 2 Days, and each pie was in the oven for about 90-120 seconds. I may gain some weight in the next few months.[/QUOTE]
I love the fact that a pizza can be made in under two minutes! I made pizzas for six years when I was younger and the oven (Bakers Pride, maybe?) was at 525.
I've seen a LOT of nice ovens on here--beautiful ovens, ovens to be coveted. My brother has an Egg--green avocado looking thing--and he whips 'em out pretty fast but not that fast. He doesn't brew but he does bake and I'm going to tell him to read this ENTIRE pizza thread. There are some crazy-good recipes, especially for round or Sicilian?
My first contact with a 700 degree (or whatever) oven was in Niagara Falls where I was served a Margarita [edit: Margarita pizza] so fast I didn't know what hit me. Nice method.

Last edited:
Back