The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the tourins, and especially the fresh burgeoning new batch of " I'm an islander now, cause I just gout a house here" dinks look at me askance all the time. 'Eff um, they are on the way to make it unbearable to live here, least I can do is make sure the red carpet has some moss growing in it, so to speak.

Surprised. You could've done your own tour?

[edit] I am remotoring my bowrider going from a '95 v4 2 cycle 90hp to a brand new i4 4 cycle 115hp. Hoping to wet test in a couple weeks...

No tours from me, I may like people individually, but in general find the heard repulsive. Mostly I deal with property owners, which I guess are not tourists, but often just as clueless. At least the real trourixts leave after a bit. This new class on real estate pimps and on line commuters look like they are here to stay. Things have been changing for the worse here, a lot, and last few years on covid really sped it up.

About time you upgraded to 4 cycle, congrats. You'll not regret it, especially when wind coming from aft of the fantail, as it were.

I don't update things readily, preferring the "I can fix that" approach, often to the consternation of the Spousal Unit 😉

But the ol' Johnson needed to be retired, as Spring startups were getting tougher each year, and nobody wants to work on motors that old as they tend to be bolt-snapping fiascos...

Cheers!

especially the fresh burgeoning new batch of " I'm an islander now, cause I just gout a house here" dinks

Fargin Covid screwed up a lot of retirement ideas with respect to the housing market in New England. I may have to move into the luxury behemoth timber framed goliath brew shed that @paulthenurse is building for us.

I don't update things readily, preferring the "I can fix that" approach, often to the consternation of the Spousal Unit 😉

But the ol' Johnson needed to be retired, as Spring startups were getting tougher each year, and nobody wants to work on motors that old as they tend to be bolt-snapping fiascos...

Cheers!
An OMC that old, heck I'd refuse to touch a bolt unless whole thing had been soaking in a barrel of penetrating oil for a month...haha.

I'm likley practically a luddite compared to you, tech wise, yet I've inversted over $8K on battery powered yard care implements, even though I've still got good 2 cycle versions of same tools.. Yet vehicle fleet averages over 30 years, cause I actually willing to work on those. I sometimes have to work on the 2C motors, but will only do it if absolutley necessary. Life is just too short for that.

Fargin Covid screwed up a lot of retirement ideas with respect to the housing market in New England. I may have to move into the luxury behemoth timber framed goliath brew shed that @paulthenurse is building for us.

Yeah, and I got realators sending unsoliceted letters telling me my place would sell for 1.5 million right now. But this is my home for most of life, & I don't have a vision of where I would go. As the place gets suckier, there is a little voice that says, "maybe get out of here while you can". Except I'm not particularly wealthy, and have no illusions about how far my assets would go if I wanted to relocate and have even same facilities, house and infrastructure wise.

I say stay put.You won't be happy anyplace else.It's you're home and you would miss it if you left.The world sucks everywhere but maybe a little less on MV.
I nominate you for the next chamber of commerce ad campaign: MV, maybe a little less tishy than where you are now.

If I were to go anywhere, it would be way rural, and I could not have much expectation of much of an income.
Plus, Back Door Donuts.
That's down town in OB, I believe. I try and stay out of there, since they changed the traffic pattern, it is all pretty much sidewalks, with fat 'ristas standing around in them, and a summer cop on every corner guarding them.

Lost my appatite for doughnuts anyway, back when I worked the solo night shift making doughnuts for the Black Dog bakery. Hard to believe, but that was over 40 years ago, still can't look a doughnut the same way. Place was nice back then though, esp in winter, it was deserted, w very few jobs off season, hence the string of wonderful near-min wage jobs I had back then.

Them coke head celebs, yeah and they all were back then, to one degree or the other, coke heads that is, unless they were doing H, (or both) (like at time of death, shout out to JB). Did not help this place much, but at least they were sort of real.. then the politicians,... what great fun....

So friggin "good for the economy". Next time someone says, ".......... will be really good, create jobs" deserves to get hit with a dead chicken, rubber or otherwise. The demand for workforce is so high, off island contractors w gangs of "illegals" doing a lot of the jobs. Some of these people are hard working. So I feel for them that they are kept in indentured situations here...15- 20 in garages with mattresses.

Place is above sustainable level of population for basics like freshwater & somewhere to put all the isht coming all "our new guest's" behinds.
But in that way, it is just like the rest of the world.....later friends.

btw, did not change font intentoinally, waht key did I hit? & how to go back, some of you screen wizards should know...

Them coke head celebs, yeah and they all were back then, to one degree or the other, coke heads that is, unless they were doing H, (or both) (like at time of death, shout out to JB). Did not help this place much, but at least they were sort of real.. then the politicians,... what great fun....

So friggin "good for the economy". Next time someone says, ".......... will be really good, create jobs" deserves to get hit with a dead chicken, rubber or otherwise. The demand for workforce is so high, off island contractors w gangs of "illegals" doing a lot of the jobs. Some of these people are hard working. So I feel for them that they are kept in indentured situations here...15- 20 in garages with mattresses.

Place is above sustainable level of population for basics like freshwater & somewhere to put all the isht coming all "our new guest's" behinds.
But in that way, it is just like the rest of the world.....later friends.

btw, did not change font intentoinally, waht key did I hit? & how to go back, some of you screen wizards should know...
+1on the dead chicken flogging

Yeah, and I got realators sending unsoliceted letters telling me my place would sell for 1.5 million right now. But this is my home for most of life, & I don't have a vision of where I would go. As the place gets suckier, there is a little voice that says, "maybe get out of here while you can". Except I'm not particularly wealthy, and have no illusions about how far my assets would go if I wanted to relocate and have even same facilities, house and infrastructure wise.
It’s the dork… ;)

Wait till the nurse catches this ... :ghostly:

Why would I bust him? He didn't come in here telling us he was God's Other Son Who Taught Us To Brew, or spouting posts that read like he's alone in a thatched roofed hut on an overtoutisted island and dead drink ( just pulling your chain D) or just being a totally obnoxious *****enozzle like HeWhoShallNotBeNamed.

Welcome DodoBird, we're f'tards but we're fun.

Last edited:
I did set her up in front of the TV to escape to Santarpios for a few drinks while I waited for supper to cook. We had a fun day. I flogger her like a British navy malcontent and made her wheel her walker across the street for a few minutes in the sun today.

Attachments

• B35D6D14-9ACA-41EB-BCEA-F59DBA813F05.jpeg
    B35D6D14-9ACA-41EB-BCEA-F59DBA813F05.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
on an overtoutisted island and dead drink

Yeah man, dead drink when I'm posting here, if after 5 PM anyway. Never did have a thatched roof hut though...sounds nice, implies a tropical environs.

My mom is ninety as well, and in same town as me, so I get that bit.

Hopefully first two posts in a row, anyway, I apologize. I was billing all day and effing goggle stopped supporting access to QB, had to bill out 100 or so invoices manually. Had to enjoy an extra pint of fine homebrew.

Anyway, point of story is that that Occam's blade does not always apply.

Happened to check on room in basement w endless pool in it, and darn, there was a lot of water on floor. Said to myself "fork" or similar, the effin pool is leaking.

OK, first time in 18 years since it's been down there, even though well maintained, and have replaced liner once, always figured and allowed that if one was going to put a swim spa with 2,300 gallons of H2O in basement, one has to accept that at some point, you're going to go down there and see a flood. Most larger things of value that would be affected by deluge have always been blocked a couple of inches from floor, basement drains out door to grade, so that is all needed.

Put the submersible pump in pool and started to drain. Set up shop vac up so it can be drained to garbage can & went to work... once I started vacuuming the water, I saw it was coming from wall, not pool. Turns out that some cattail roots were clogging 4 in drain from gutter at house to pond, and the water overwhelmed downspout and came in cellar window. Also I drove the new excavator around the pond to pull a stump, I think mud was pushed in the pipe from that as well.

I knew I should have gone around the long way, hopefully some day I will learn patience.

Have a better one friends...

Walked around yard admiring the green around me as the rain falls, with a pint of brew, of course. Hops are doing great, & the meat bird chicks are finally out of basement & not stinking things up..in their new digs by the hen house.

Got effin drenched, but in a good way .. anyway .. good solid rain is so good, got to be appreciative when it is due..

6/27/22 edit.

Last edited:
Paul,
Where did you get the layout for your joints? I’m planning a small timber frame project, and am starting to look into the layout.

Having owned numerous boats over the decades typically sporting 2 stroke V4 OMC outboards, four stroke I4 outboards are a total revelation.

I spent the better part of three days up on the CT River north of Moore Dam doing the mandated 10 hour break-in on a new 115hp Merc, and loved the fact I could charge around up to say 40 mph and still actually listen to the radio. And after doing the subsequent oil change (never a thing with 2 strokes) and firing it up in the driveway it was way quieter than my 20hp lawn tractor. I doubt my neighbors ever heard anything.

Also...running a bowrider at nearly 50 mph in moderate chop with occasional swells can get hairy 😲 I actually clipped-on the kill-switch lanyard in case I managed to throw myself right out of the boat. The original 90hp Johnson (RIP) couldn't swing the beastly prop I'm running on this Merc and could just reach 38 mph on its very best day, where this engine is just starting to get interested.

Anyway...heading over to the Greater Chatham Area for our Family Cape Week soon. Will be messing around out of Pleasant Bay, checking out Monomoy and boater beaches and the seal vs shark action :)

Cheers!

Paul,
Where did you get the layout for your joints? I’m planning a small timber frame project, and am starting to look into the layout.
I'm sort of making it up on the fly. I drew the plans up myself, only joint I showed was the pegged scarf. There are really only a few true timber framed joints, I drilled and hammered in 3/8" steel rod instead of mortise and tenon for the uprights. I'm using timber lock screws for fasteners in the joints with hurricane strapping for backup.
I'll mortise in the purlins for siding nailers. I'm debating hand making the nails for at least the front. I'm going to do board and batten siding like on the other shed. It will require a few hundred nails, so a kind of daunting project but it would be pretty cool to have the front of my blacksmith shed that I built myself put together with nails I forged myself.

Latest posts

Back