The Definitive Great Taste of the Midwest Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how was it? Crowds, lines, highlights, new breweries to watch, etc.

Highlights for me were:

B Nektar Peach Kill All the Golfers
B Nektar Mango Mead (I think it was Necromangocon)
Brugge Diamond Kings of Heaven
Cider House of Wisconsin Pooch
Door County C & C Club (Pastoral was nice too)
Jolly Pumpkin Rambic
TG Assassin

My favorite beer all day was actually Sour Brown Peach from New Glarus. I love Peach Rings.

I refused to wait in lines so there were a lot of things I skipped. Looking back that was a bad idea. I really should have waited an hour for Morning Delight so I could pace myself. The last time I was this drunk was before my 21st bday.

Top beers for me were the Weller Barrel BCS, Toppling Goliath Morning Delight, 4 Hands Passion Fruit Prussia, Kuhnhenn Imperial Creme Brulee, Jolly Pumpkin Saison Y and the Side Project Saison du Ble that I had at the Brasserie V pre-party. Town Hall Cherry Wit was another really good beer. Black Husky Howler was my favorite hoppy beer of the day by a wide margin. Flat12 Octogose takes the honor for nastiest beer.

I thought Jolly Pumpkin really brought it this year. Normally they bring like 3 standard beers and are out by 3pm. They had 6 beers, 5 of which were some of the best beers of the day. Kuhnhenn's lineup was really good again this year after their weird mixed drinks thing last year that didn't work for me. The various fruit lagers were all really nice and then the stouts (Michigan Mud, Caramel Cocoa Macaroon Coffee Stout & Imperial Creme Brulee) I had were excellent. I did not like the Bourbon Brett 4D all that much though. Bell's was such a cluster**** so I pretty much avoided them. I did manage to get a sample of the BB Expedition off some random dude while we were waiting in line for the pisser. It was as good as I had hoped it would be.

As far as rookies, I thought Door County Brewing had some good beers. Their pastoral farmhouse and peche sauvage were both good. Wisconsin Brewing had a couple of really nice beers as well. Their Ol' Reliable Helles Lager and Blister in the Sun were light and refreshing beers that tasted really good at the end of the day.

Surprised no one has mentioned the DESTIHL Raspberry Berliner Weiss. Think we drank half that keg. Also, the Darkness on cask in the Real Ales tent was a huge surprise. Completely different beer in a fantastic way.

Top beers for me were the Weller Barrel BCS, Toppling Goliath Morning Delight, 4 Hands Passion Fruit Prussia, Kuhnhenn Imperial Creme Brulee, Jolly Pumpkin Saison Y and the Side Project Saison du Ble that I had at the Brasserie V pre-party. Town Hall Cherry Wit was another really good beer. Black Husky Howler was my favorite hoppy beer of the day by a wide margin. Flat12 Octogose takes the honor for nastiest beer.

I thought Jolly Pumpkin really brought it this year. Normally they bring like 3 standard beers and are out by 3pm. They had 6 beers, 5 of which were some of the best beers of the day. Kuhnhenn's lineup was really good again this year after their weird mixed drinks thing last year that didn't work for me. The various fruit lagers were all really nice and then the stouts (Michigan Mud, Caramel Cocoa Macaroon Coffee Stout & Imperial Creme Brulee) I had were excellent. I did not like the Bourbon Brett 4D all that much though. Bell's was such a cluster**** so I pretty much avoided them. I did manage to get a sample of the BB Expedition off some random dude while we were waiting in line for the pisser. It was as good as I had hoped it would be.

As far as rookies, I thought Door County Brewing had some good beers. Their pastoral farmhouse and peche sauvage were both good. Wisconsin Brewing had a couple of really nice beers as well. Their Ol' Reliable Helles Lager and Blister in the Sun were light and refreshing beers that tasted really good at the end of the day.
Huh. I loved Kuhnhenn's Mardi Gras mixed drinks last year and hated the fruited lagers this year. Different strokes.

Caramel Cocoa Macaroon Coffee was ridiculous though.

20140809_160650_zpsypvsynxe.jpg

#shelfturd

Surprised no one has mentioned the DESTIHL Raspberry Berliner Weiss. Think we drank half that keg. Also, the Darkness on cask in the Real Ales tent was a huge surprise. Completely different beer in a fantastic way.
That Destihl Berliner was the surprise beer of the day. ****ing phenomenal

Thread necro-ed... Does no one care this year? Am I just an ******* for briniging it up? Are we trying to keep it under wraps? Anyway, looking for two tickets. Lyami. ;)

Thread necro-ed... Does no one care this year? Am I just an ******* for briniging it up? Are we trying to keep it under wraps? Anyway, looking for two tickets. Lyami. ;)

I may have one, but gotta confirm if the Jansky clan needs it as we're staying there again.

I have heard scalping at the gate is a thing, but I don't want to get all those reservations just for a chance. IOB is bringing some nice infusions though.

Which ones?

Also you can absolutely get tickets at the gate but Craigslist / events on Friday are also a good way to score tickets.

The one I am most excited for is our "citrus" IPA. Pilgrim hopped base, then we're adding zest from lemons, limes, and oranges. Should be another fun test of that ICU concept.

I think the cherry diablo might also make its way up there (blonde with a blend of chipotle and ancho peppers).

GAWD DAMMIT DAN, Y U DO DIS

Anyway Gonzoillini, are we getting a baller ass stretch Hum-V or what?

Was talking with Brenna about this last night, and it sounds like we've got 7 (?) that are interested in getting a limo or something from Great Taste back to Janskys.

I'll look into it and see what our projected costs are looking like.

Last edited:
I'll be camping at Lake Farm Park Friday and Saturday. If anyone is around hit me up and we can do a little bottle sharing.

hey, me too

along with a bunch of other folks

eta: on the same lot. i wonder do we know each other??

hey, me too

along with a bunch of other folks

eta: on the same lot. i wonder do we know each other??

That was a post from last year. The grounds there are pretty good but we were right next to a camp of drunk homeless people last year. It seems like a place they like to hang out. Say hi to Ernie for us if you meet him. Pretty nice guy but he's drunk 24/7.

I'll be staying at New Glarus State Park on Friday this year. I stayed there two years ago and it worked out really nice. Grill out and drink some beers then drive across the street in the morning to get the New Glarus bottles.

That was a post from last year. The grounds there are pretty good but we were right next to a camp of drunk homeless people last year. It seems like a place they like to hang out. Say hi to Ernie for us if you meet him. Pretty nice guy but he's drunk 24/7.

I'll be staying at New Glarus State Park on Friday this year. I stayed there two years ago and it worked out really nice. Grill out and drink some beers then drive across the street in the morning to get the New Glarus bottles.

lol, i didn't notice the date

we were there last year but not near any homeless folks.

did you get savaged by chiggers??

Back