The central PA discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am heading up today for lunch. I will let you know in a few hours. From their website it looks like Permasmile and Afternoon delight (also listed as on draft-anyone know if this is the same batch that is in bottles?) Last time I was there they also had Both Barrels avaliable in bottles.
To my more interior brethren, has anyone been to Pizza Boy lately? I haven't been in a few months and was thinking of hitting it up on Saturday. I'm curious what bottles they've had available lately, if any. Also, anything on tap that's drinking well?

Was disappointed to see Intangible kick a few months ago. I only tried Permasmile when I went up last time, because I couldn't do 2 750's by myself and still try some stuff on tap.

Anyone know if Intangible is something he might do again at some point?

I was talking to the bartender (not sure of his name, but the guy that is always there), and he used the words: Intangible, new batch, and to-go all in the same sentance when I mentioned it in passing...
Was disappointed to see Intangible kick a few months ago. I only tried Permasmile when I went up last time, because I couldn't do 2 750's by myself and still try some stuff on tap.

From what he said, it sounds like it was just rebrewed, and some of the batch will be released to-go when it is ready. I asked if any "preservation society" or something along the line would be formed, and I was told "no". It seemed like it would be a silent release 9+months from now.

From what he said, it sounds like it was just rebrewed, and some of the batch will be released to-go when it is ready. I asked if any "preservation society" or something along the line would be formed, and I was told "no". It seemed like it would be a silent release 9+months from now.

To my more interior brethren, has anyone been to Pizza Boy lately? I haven't been in a few months and was thinking of hitting it up on Saturday. I'm curious what bottles they've had available lately, if any. Also, anything on tap that's drinking well?

Sorry for not looking at this thread in over a week.

Afternoon delight was rebrewed and made an appearance in draft form. It is even more sour/hoppy than the first batch. (However, last i heard the kegs got plowed and they are down to only 1 or 2 left.)
It is safe to say that intangible should be out soon. In the most basic sense, intangible is afternoon delight (minus the hops but add tangerines.)

I honestly believe there will never be pizza boy bottles sold to go. (At least not for any forseeable future.) It was a thought/consideration since they opened but I truely believe that any future bottles that are sold there will fall under the intangible ales name, not pizza boy. For those not in the know, intangible ales is Terry's new side project focusing strictly on rustic/brett beers. He has collaborated with other breweries under that side project name but just started brewing his first couple beers for the new project in house at Pizza Boy. You can expect to see these released on draft and in bottles at Als and in distro.

Sorry for not looking at this thread in over a week.

Afternoon delight was rebrewed and made an appearance in draft form. It is even more sour/hoppy than the first batch. (However, last i heard the kegs got plowed and they are down to only 1 or 2 left.)
It is safe to say that intangible should be out soon. In the most basic sense, intangible is afternoon delight (minus the hops but add tangerines.)

I honestly believe there will never be pizza boy bottles sold to go. (At least not for any forseeable future.) It was a thought/consideration since they opened but I truely believe that any future bottles that are sold there will fall under the intangible ales name, not pizza boy. For those not in the know, intangible ales is Terry's new side project focusing strictly on rustic/brett beers. He has collaborated with other breweries under that side project name but just started brewing his first couple beers for the new project in house at Pizza Boy. You can expect to see these released on draft and in bottles at Als and in distro.
Made it over to Pizza Boy on Saturday with my buddy. Started with a bottle of Permasmile. It was great. I was surprised they wouldn't even let us take the half empty bottle to our table, but instead poured the remaining beer into a pint glass for us to refill our snifters. Afternoon delight was available on draft and I ordered that next. It was phenomenal. For my pallet, I preferred it over Perma. The Hoptart 2 was also quite nice. Tried the bean dream and the free fall grisette too. This was my third trip to Pizza Boy and I continue to be extremely impressed by their beers.

Big big things in the works right now at Pizza Boy. Today they are running a brand new 6-prong bottling setup for corked and caged 750s.

Al told me they have ~14 assorted barrels of sours that are ready to be unleashed. All of it is going to be bottled and staged for release pending label approval (yes, for take away.) This next statement people are going to love or hate: The bottles being sold to go will not be planned in advance...he doesnt want masses of people lining up, he is just going to post a picture saying "come and get it" when each bottling is approved and ready to go.

First one hopefully will roll out in 3 months or so and we can expect something new in bottle format possibly as regularly as weekly.

Anything going on in the Lancaster area on the 28th? I'll be in the town for the night and will probably be able to fit a little beering time in. Would like to get up to Pizza Boy but not sure if I'll be able to take the extra ride.

Anyone visited Pizza Boy lately? There are about 350 cases labled 'FP' sitting in the brew area?
Closer to 200 but as stated it's Intangible Ales first beer, Future Primitive. It is a 100% Brett Farmhouse Pale Ale. Should be ready for release end of July or early august.

Closer to 200 but as stated it's Intangible Ales first beer, Future Primitive. It is a 100% Brett Farmhouse Pale Ale. Should be ready for release end of July or early august.
From what I counted, there were 3 stacks of cases (12 bottles per), 4x4, piled 8 high. Either way, its exciting news.

Haven't seen Future Primitive out. I was there the day y'all were bottling this. Any word on release?

Does anyone know if Pizza Boy fills growlers from other breweries? Or "blank" growlers?

Yes and yes, unless the policy has changed in the last two months or so. I've filled growlers from a bunch of different places there and they always accepted them. Some styles of growlers might be a no-go because of fitting under their taps, but the traditional 64oz screw top is fine.

However if the growler you bring is a no-go, they will swap it with one of their own... which is pretty cool. They do still need to get rid of the clear 64oz growlers. But at least their 32oz grenades are amber.

However if the growler you bring is a no-go, they will swap it with one of their own... which is pretty cool. They do still need to get rid of the clear 64oz growlers. But at least their 32oz grenades are amber.
Serious question.
Not being a dick.
I gotta ask this since I see this mentioned far too much.

Why does it matter that the 64oz growlers are clear? You get growler filled and then place it in your vehicle. You drive home and drink it or you put it in fridge and ideally drink it soon thereafter.

If the minimal light exposure walking to/from your vehicle bothers you...does it also bother you that the glassware you drink from is also clear?

That's a good question. I suppose in that one scenario it might not matter much. I can't say I really understand the science enough to say how much a few minutes of light is gonna affect it. But I do know beer geek psychology and how everyone thinks when they see beer in a clear container.

As for me, my wife's mazda doesn't have a trunk, so light gets in the whole 2 hour drive home. And that's if she doesn't make me stop at the Tanger outlets... Sure I could cover it up with something, if I find something laying in the car, but then it just brings me back to wondering why they sourced clear growlers in the first place.

Same thing with sending one off to a trading partner. Sure I suppose it's protected in the box 95% of that time, but you know when the guy opens the box he's wondering why I just sent him a clear glass container...

Serious question.
Not being a dick.
I gotta ask this since I see this mentioned far too much.

Why does it matter that the 64oz growlers are clear? You get growler filled and then place it in your vehicle. You drive home and drink it or you put it in fridge and ideally drink it soon thereafter.

If the minimal light exposure walking to/from your vehicle bothers you...does it also bother you that the glassware you drink from is also clear?
(it doesn't) But I do prefer my glassware to be made out of red and white polystyrene (red solo cup)

Did anybody notice Pizza Boy got rid of the clear 64 oz. growlers and went with the brown ones? We are starting to run out of things to complain about at that place!

Did anybody notice Pizza Boy got rid of the clear 64 oz. growlers and went with the brown ones? We are starting to run out of things to complain about at that place!
Noticed this yesterday and forgot to post it.

Well played sir...well played.

I see bottles of fruited Abascio-Cell are available for in-house consumption. Was there a release for any of these?

No. They are waiting to get labels for them. Once they get bottles labelled there will be some available "to go." There will probably be some that see small distribution as well.

There will probably be some that see small distribution as well.
I doubt any of them hit distribution, maybe the golden sour but that would be it. The different versions of Abascio were all pretty small yields so there is very little chance those will be seeing distribution. Golden was a much, much bigger bottling so there is definitely a chance but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I doubt any of them hit distribution, maybe the golden sour but that would be it. The different versions of Abascio were all pretty small yields so there is very little chance those will be seeing distribution. Golden was a much, much bigger bottling so there is definitely a chance but I wouldn't hold my breath.
How many of each of the Abascio bottles were there?

How many of each of the Abascio bottles were there?
All depends on which one. Some were multiple barrels and others were singles. I don't remember any of them being over five hundred bottles tho, most were well below that in the two hundred and fifty range. Golden sour was like twenty five hundred bottles. Kriek is the only one not bottled yet, that should be over a thousand as well.

Hey friends - any places worth checking out in state college? I'll be in the house this Saturday.

Back