The central PA discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey friends - any places worth checking out in state college? I'll be in the house this Saturday.

There are a few places. Zenos, Champs, and the Deli if you are looking for a good draft/bottle selection. For Brewpubs; there is Ottos, Gamble Mill (Bellefonte), Happy Valley Brewing Co, and Home Delivery Pizza/Robin Hood Brewing co. If you want to meet up for some beers, share a few, or just for more info send me a BM.

All depends on which one. Some were multiple barrels and others were singles. I don't remember any of them being over five hundred bottles tho, most were well below that in the two hundred and fifty range. Golden sour was like twenty five hundred bottles. Kriek is the only one not bottled yet, that should be over a thousand as well.
I thought some of them were multiple barrels, that is why I thought some would see small distribution... Like Abascio base did.

There are a few places. Zenos, Champs, and the Deli if you are looking for a good draft/bottle selection. For Brewpubs; there is Ottos, Gamble Mill (Bellefonte), Happy Valley Brewing Co, and Home Delivery Pizza/Robin Hood Brewing co. If you want to meet up for some beers, share a few, or just for more info send me a BM.
Hey there - thanks very much for the information and offer. We are still trying to nail down our exact plans for the weekend but I may hit you up in a day or two and see if you are still up for beers. Not sure what time my wife and I will get into town, but it's likely to be about 2pm unless we stop at Bullfrog or Selins Grove. Thanks again man.

I thought some of them were multiple barrels, that is why I thought some would see small distribution... Like Abascio base did.
There were, but that is no guarantee that they will be sent out this time. The plan was, and still is, to sell the bottles at the shop and then POSSIBLY distribute some of the higher count bottles to the other markets but that was never a guarantee. Like I said before, I wouldn't hold my breath on any of these making it out of the shop, especially the Abascio's, but you never know.

There were, but that is no guarantee that they will be sent out this time. The plan was, and still is, to sell the bottles at the shop and then POSSIBLY distribute some of the higher count bottles to the other markets but that was never a guarantee. Like I said before, I wouldn't hold my breath on any of these making it out of the shop, especially the Abascio's, but you never know.
It looks like 576 bottles of something headed to Philly. Any idea what all is going that way?

Last edited:
WCV4R2Q.jpg

This isn't actually happening. It's cancelled.

In other pizza boy news...

Sunny Side up will be going into bottles within the next week or 2. After that...the next bottled beer will be a rebranded version of Afternoon Delight. (Renamed since several other breweries also have a beer with this name.) I'll be getting at least a case or asking them to fill me a sixtel. I dont think there is another person on this planet that has consumed more of this beer than myself. Love love love that stuff.

In other pizza boy news...

Sunny Side up will be going into bottles within the next week or 2. After that...the next bottled beer will be a rebranded version of Afternoon Delight. (Renamed since several other breweries also have a beer with this name.) I'll be getting at least a case or asking them to fill me a sixtel. I dont think there is another person on this planet that has consumed more of this beer than myself. Love love love that stuff.
Makes me so happy. If it comes to Philly in the same quantity as Bean Dream I will be giddy.

Anyone else think those prices are a little out of line? Can't think of another brewery that is charging $30/750ml for a bunch of 6% sours and saisons. Not saying the beers aren't good (they likely are), but where does Pizza Boy get off charging more than basically anyone else anywhere?

Anyone else think those prices are a little out of line? Can't think of another brewery that is charging $30/750ml for a bunch of 6% sours and saisons. Not saying the beers aren't good (they likely are), but where does Pizza Boy get off charging more than basically anyone else anywhere?
Unfortunatly, I think it is the new norm. Lost Abbey charges $40+ for their Veritas series. At HF, Le Sarrasin was $30, Art was $40, and Sue is going to be $25. Jester king prices their 500ml sours at $16 and up, putting them slightly less expensive then previous mentioned breweries in an Oz per $ comparison, but in the same ballpark nonetheless.
Obviously, all the breweries mentioned are top tier, but if Al's/Pizza Boy/Intangible Ales wants to get that 'level', it will cost a lot in overhead, most of which will not see any ROI for many monts, possibly years.

...but it does suck

I heard something from someone they priced their beers like Cascade. No idea if true, just some scuttlebutt.

It makes me sad to say that this is the direction the market is going. He knows he can charge that much and people will gobble it all up. Its only going to get worse before it gets better. Once people start refusing to pay that much, maybe the prices will drop. I dont see that happening anytime soon though.

I consider myself fortunate to have tried these beers. Would I like to buy bottles to drink at home or send to trade partners? You bet your ass I would. But at that price, especially this time of year...I simply cannot afford it. It honest to God hurts me to say that because ive been there since day 1 and I want to continue to support them through the good and the bad. I'll be at the release because I offered myself as a mule to my friends. Im buying bottles for other people who have no hesitation in wanting these at $30 per. I suppose im guilty for being a part of the problem by enabling them.

It makes me sad to say that this is the direction the market is going. He knows he can charge that much and people will gobble it all up. Its only going to get worse before it gets better. Once people start refusing to pay that much, maybe the prices will drop. I dont see that happening anytime soon though.

I consider myself fortunate to have tried these beers. Would I like to buy bottles to drink at home or send to trade partners? You bet your ass I would. But at that price, especially this time of year...I simply cannot afford it. It honest to God hurts me to say that because ive been there since day 1 and I want to continue to support them through the good and the bad. I'll be at the release because I offered myself as a mule to my friends. Im buying bottles for other people who have no hesitation in wanting these at $30 per. I suppose im guilty for being a part of the problem by enabling them.

i'm with you, man. this is THE WORST time of year to be asking people to drop $330 just to buy 1 bottle of each. nevermind those that will be buying max allotments of all the lower bottle counts. i also *really* want to support this brewery. i love them and have been going whenever i can make it (usually ~5 times/year)... just wish i was closer!

All valid points. I'm gonna get a group of friends together to buy certain bottles so we can drink them all.

This is awesome news. Already got a case locked down locally.

iV1IxmD.jpg

I was the last person on line before about a dozen folks lined up for a second run through at bottles, and everything except the peach was still available, though it sold out just one person ahead of me, so they ALMOST made enough to get allotments to everybody who lined up haha. We showed up around 8:30, waited about an hour, easy game.

I was the last person on line before about a dozen folks lined up for a second run through at bottles, and everything except the peach was still available, though it sold out just one person ahead of me, so they ALMOST made enough to get allotments to everybody who lined up haha. We showed up around 8:30, waited about an hour, easy game.

Did you stick around and try any of the bottles in-house?

We did, had both Funkers, a bluerbon, and then the boo berry cream ale. Funkers are sick awesome. Bluerbon was great again, and that booberry is just cool. Tastes like a white grape game though.

I was one of those people that lined up for a second round. As you said the peach was gone so no one was able to get a second bottle. The apricotfunker only made it to the third person who got back in line. One of the guys that got back in line had his wife with him and ended up with 4 bottles of Apricotfunker.

What's the scoop on Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up bottles? I was surprised to see them available at a sports bar in Emmaus. What's the count/distro/desirability look like on this guy?

What's the scoop on Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up bottles? I was surprised to see them available at a sports bar in Emmaus. What's the count/distro/desirability look like on this guy?

I don't know about the (trade) desirability, but I can tell you it's freaking delicious (at least the draft version was)

I know it saw distro throughout Central PA, Lancaster, and Philadelphia. I believe they have a 17 barrel system but I don't know if this was a double batch. It is still available at Al's. Hope that helps.

Of the four bottles that have made it to Philly so far (Bean Dream, Samurye, West Coast IPA, and Sunny Side) it's been the hardest to come by, but it still showed up in pretty good numbers. Anyone who wanted a bottle could have found at least one.

Just saw a bottle of PB Grasslands on the shelf in Philly for $40. I'm dying to try it but **** that price.

Just saw a bottle of PB Grasslands on the shelf in Philly for $40. I'm dying to try it but **** that price.

ONLY double the case price. Beer Heaven is hilarious...I'm sure it'll sit there for quite a while.

Sunny Side Up was legit though, would definitely buy more of that.

Posted this in random beer thoughts, but I'll xpost here. Every year I get super excited about fresh Nugget Nectar, and then I see things like kegged on 12/30/14. I don't understand why something hoppy packaged two weeks ago is just now starting to ship. There are also talks in some other groups of bottles of Nugget Nectar sporting a 12/24 bottling date. It's not like Troegs doesn't have the network to get it out fresher than when it is arriving. So annoying.

Posted this in random beer thoughts, but I'll xpost here. Every year I get super excited about fresh Nugget Nectar, and then I see things like kegged on 12/30/14. I don't understand why something hoppy packaged two weeks ago is just now starting to ship. There are also talks in some other groups of bottles of Nugget Nectar sporting a 12/24 bottling date. It's not like Troegs doesn't have the network to get it out fresher than when it is arriving. So annoying.

This is nothing new...but it appears to be even worse since they moved to Hershey. And now people are starting to notice and speak up about it. To them, it seems like its more important to stockpile and mass release it than to trickle the release as its ready and have the backlash of questions "when is it coming here? "why did they get it first?" etc. I will say though that it was comical and a real kick in the dick to our local establishments to see all their bottles were dated Decemeber yet Philly got bottled dated less than 7 days ago when it was distro'd monday.

PCN local tours does TV segments of different manufactoring facilities and Troegs was featured on one of the episodes last year. During the tour, they came to their cold storage/staging area and John T specifically stated that he is proud to boast that not a single ounce of beer resides in that cold storage for more than 5 days because freshness matters. (That was the only time in my adult life that I actually screamed at a televison. "****ing liar" ...and if he wasnt lying, shame on them as a brewery of that size for "staging/storing" beer elsewhere that isnt temperature controlled.)

There was a time when Nugget Nectar was something to get excited about. A ****ing exquisit example of a juicy hop forward amber. I wish BA still had the historical data for when you could review a beer by serving type. Because the bombers they released in August of 2009 were the most exceptional ive ever tasted. It was an out of season batch i believe they brewed to be sent to GABF. Every year I would buy at least 2-3 cases and a sixtel. But starting in late 2010/early 2011 **** went downhill. It no longer was hoppy in the sense of being tropical, fruity and floral. It shifted to being more herbal, minty and vegetative. Around this same time they started having yeast troubles and even recalled batches of perpetual.

I know our sense of taste evolves as does our preferences. However, this has always been a real argumentative point of mine. People always joke about "this years isnt as good as last years bro" but this is one of those senarios where it couldnt be more true...only instead of last year we are talking a completely different beer from 3+ years ago and brewed in a different location.

I guess the point im trying to make is...**** it. Why care if the beer is 2+ weeks old(er) when it finally gets to you. Its not like this is abnormal behavior for them and its not the vibrant and wonderful NN of the past where 2 weeks would make a huge difference. I make these spiteful remarks but im gullible enough to still try it every year it comes out. You can bet your ass next week ill be buying at least a 4-pack of the new cans.

(Side item for consideration. When my buddy worked at Troegs in 2011. As an employee, they could buy the beer the day it came off the bottling line.) I vividly remember drinking NN with him on Christmas Eve and NYE that was bottled the day before. It took 2+ weeks for cases from those runs to show up on the floor to buy at the old brewery. However, when kegs were filled you could seemingly get them the same day.

Yeah, when I still lived in PA and then in northern VA (2008-2011) it was the same deal, but I agree that those 2009 bombers are amazing. I have finally stopped being suckered into buy a 6 pack of Celebration Ale every year since I always end up having four left in the fridge come May, but I too will be getting at least a 4pk of cans. Drinking one, then probably coming back here to *****. I have a buddy that brewed at Troegs (now at Bells) who relayed basically the same information. Just... frustrating. I picking up my first case when I was in college, maybe 2007 or so and man was I stoked. I pounded through it like no person should.

Yeah, when I still lived in PA and then in northern VA (2008-2011) it was the same deal, but I agree that those 2009 bombers are amazing. I have finally stopped being suckered into buy a 6 pack of Celebration Ale every year since I always end up having four left in the fridge come May, but I too will be getting at least a 4pk of cans. Drinking one, then probably coming back here to *****. I have a buddy that brewed at Troegs (now at Bells) who relayed basically the same information. Just... frustrating. I picking up my first case when I was in college, maybe 2007 or so and man was I stoked. I pounded through it like no person should.
My friend and I played beer bong with NN for the better part of a whole semester either in 2007 or 2008. I couldn't imagine consuming anything in those quantities again, but it felt so good at the time.

I wasn't going to say anything about NN but I was just at Troegs and now I feel compelled to vent. I didn't think NN was a juicy on draft this year as it was last year. I have heard that the bottles are better but I haven't had any so I can't compare. That along with the $7 pour at Troegs really disappointed me. I was told the glass is a .5L so that is about 17oz. Why are the prices at the taproom skyrocketing in the past two years. I can go to a local establishment and get pints of NN for $5. I also heard that cases of the pounders cans are going to be $60 at the brewery. $60? Are they crazy? I realize there are more ounces in the pounders cans but I have never seen that kind of markup from the 12oz bottle price to the pounders can price.

I wasn't going to say anything about NN but I was just at Troegs and now I feel compelled to vent. I didn't think NN was a juicy on draft this year as it was last year. I have heard that the bottles are better but I haven't had any so I can't compare. That along with the $7 pour at Troegs really disappointed me. I was told the glass is a .5L so that is about 17oz. Why are the prices at the taproom skyrocketing in the past two years. I can go to a local establishment and get pints of NN for $5. I also heard that cases of the pounders cans are going to be $60 at the brewery. $60? Are they crazy? I realize there are more ounces in the pounders cans but I have never seen that kind of markup from the 12oz bottle price to the pounders can price.
Its just the way things are headed...I think they need(ed) to up their prices or do something to try and keep the crowd at bay. I really no longer go to Troegs because I rarely have an enjoyable experience. If its not the disappointment in the quality of the beer itself, then its the atmosphere and how it goes from loud to painfully loud real quick.

The place is seemingly always ransacked which is great for them but its not my thing. There was a time when I made it a point to try every single scratch beer they released...now it seems it gets soaked up before I even realize a new one is available.

Ive not tried NN yet this year but I spoke to a friend yesterday (a palate I trust and he is a big time Troegs apologist.) He had it on tap and also drank different bottle dates and his only comment was "I wish it wasnt so malty." That kinda killed it for me hearing that because if he thinks its "meh" then I know im not going to impressed with it. I still wanna buy a 4-pack of the new cans and try it for myself but my enthusiasm went from "ill be there monday!" to more of eh, ill stop when im in the area sometime next week.

Thought it was much more malty last year. Had a bottle from 1/6 last night and it was good.

Back