The Big Box of Yum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna have to start following you guys to see the Randall reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ahh kind of a waste. Wish i had some sour cherries on hand. Bings were a waste. Not horrible but not much cherry flavor.

for those of you that want to start experimenting but don't have a Randall, a french press works just as well! in some ways it may even be a bit better in that they are typically have a bit larger capacity. i've got one that I specifically use for beer in addition to our regular coffee preff. not that I think they would transfer flavors too much since the majority of it is glass.

Here goes the Current List as of 7.28.14!

WOBrien - Plymouth Meeting, PA
JohnnyHitch - Suffolk County, NY
TheMan - IL
Hello - NC
JMCM_Brew - Salisbury, MD
JWerner - Laport, MN
BigMike - Long Island, NY
JTD_419 - Pomeroy, WA
DrPhunk - Rockford, IL
DarthCitra - Huntingdon Beach, CA
Canti4341 - Plano, TX
BFord - Houston, TX
Leubega - Los Angeles, CA
ColdCrash - Hanover, PA
InvictusBrew - Manhattan Beach, CA
Val214 - Long Beach, CA
BGBC - Jersey City, NJ
IGotSand - Vista, CA
AbsoluteHamm - Lombard, IL
Blizzard - Denver, CO
Hawgwild81 - Cabot, AR
NuclearRich - Hampden, CT
ABeasst - Raleigh, NC
FinsFan - Manhattan, KS (Volunteered for multiple shipments as a representative for the middle states, so we can send to him a few different times, hopefully staggers and not back to back)
ThatJonGuy - North Central, ND
MedicMang - Athens, OH
DisturbedChemist - Spring, TX
Brew_Dude41 - Columbus, OH
coyote68 - Clune, PA

I think we may have enough to skirt around the country, but would still like to see more from the south west and middle states. Not sure of the shipping time from MN to WA, probably two to three days?

Also, we are getting a bunch of repeat states. I want to see everybody get in on this box, but unless we start shipping interstate or back and forth in certain areas, please be patient. With the repeat states, I think if we found other bordering states with some participants we can bounce it around. IE NY to CT to PA to NY to wherever. WA to CA to AZ back to CA to somewhere, etc. Or we can just keep passing it around. The recipient is entirely up to the sender

for those of you that want to start experimenting but don't have a Randall, a french press works just as well! in some ways it may even be a bit better in that they are typically have a bit larger capacity. i've got one that I specifically use for beer in addition to our regular coffee preff. not that I think they would transfer flavors too much since the majority of it is glass.

I've used the French press method and it does work just as well. The only difference I noticed was the carb level after use. The Randall is airtight once you seal it back up. As an alternate method for a Randall, a French Press is otherwise the best bet.

Just found this thread. Count me in for the stop before California. This makes better sense of what you were drinking on untappd last week Mikeysab.

Just found this thread. Count me in for the stop before California. This makes better sense of what you were drinking on untappd last week Mikeysab.

Haha....i never thought about how little sense it made to people who don't know about this thread.

Here goes the Current List as of 7.29.14!

WOBrien - Plymouth Meeting, PA
JohnnyHitch - Suffolk County, NY
TheMan - IL
Hello - NC
JMCM_Brew - Salisbury, MD
JWerner - Laport, MN
BigMike - Long Island, NY
JTD_419 - Pomeroy, WA
DrPhunk - Rockford, IL
DarthCitra - Huntingdon Beach, CA
Canti4341 - Plano, TX
BFord - Houston, TX
Leubega - Los Angeles, CA
ColdCrash - Hanover, PA
InvictusBrew - Manhattan Beach, CA
Val214 - Long Beach, CA
BGBC - Jersey City, NJ
IGotSand - Vista, CA
AbsoluteHamm - Lombard, IL
Blizzard - Denver, CO
Hawgwild81 - Cabot, AR
NuclearRich - Hampden, CT
ABeasst - Raleigh, NC
FinsFan - Manhattan, KS (Volunteered for multiple shipments as a representative for the middle states, so we can send to him a few different times, hopefully staggers and not back to back)
ThatJonGuy - North Central, ND
MedicMang - Athens, OH
DisturbedChemist - Spring, TX
Brew_Dude41 - Columbus, OH
coyote68 - Clune, PA
SavoryChef - Sparks, NV
Atli126 - Louisville, KY
UWDawg13 - Tacoma, WA

I think we may have enough to skirt around the country, but would still like to see more from the south west and middle states. Not sure of the shipping time from MN to WA, probably two to three days?

Also, we are getting a bunch of repeat states. I want to see everybody get in on this box, but unless we start shipping interstate or back and forth in certain areas, please be patient. With the repeat states, I think if we found other bordering states with some participants we can bounce it around. IE NY to CT to PA to NY to wherever. WA to CA to AZ back to CA to somewhere, etc. Or we can just keep passing it around. The recipient is entirely up to the sender

how do people get my address to send me something?

I got you added to the listings for this...the box is going to be about 2-3 weeks per person until they forward their own selections. It will take a bit of time to make its way around the country to everybody, but so long as nobody goes dying on us, everybody should have a shot at it at some point.

I got you added to the listings for this...the box is going to be about 2-3 weeks per person until they forward their own selections. It will take a bit of time to make its way around the country to everybody, but so long as nobody goes dying on us, everybody should have a shot at it at some point.

Will you cap this at a certain number of people? I think we should just so people dont continue to add and we end up with a list of 50+ people.

Will you cap this at a certain number of people? I think we should just so people dont continue to add and we end up with a list of 50+ people.

My plan was to keep adding, but after people get the box I'm going to check them off of it. That way everybody gets a chance at it. I would like to see this as a perpetual thing that can sustain itself long after I've lost internet connections :cross:

My plan was to keep adding, but after people get the box I'm going to check them off of it. That way everybody gets a chance at it. I would like to see this as a perpetual thing that can sustain itself long after I've lost internet connections :cross:

That is a great legacy one can be proud of

Lol, the only problem that I really see is getting it back across once we finally make it to the West. Once we are to, say KS, if someone from the NW adds, it will be quite some time before it makes it out to the West and back.

With how many we have right now, if people are keeping for ~2 weeks, we are looking at ~13.5 months. Granted, some will fall out. Although, if we are talking about our kids enjoying the fruits, no worries. Can they be grandfathered in on our spots?

Is there a general consensus on this that we should cap out right now and open the books back up after 5 or so recipients have had it?

Is there a general consensus on this that we should cap out right now and open the books back up after 5 or so recipients have had it?
That might be a good idea to keep things under control. You could always keep a side list and add later? Not sure how much of a PITA that would be for you though.
We might need to get a couple more Randall's in rotation!
I think that could very easily get out of control, lol. Two people send to the same recipient unknowingly...

Very cool thread and idea. Not sure i can join at the moment and would need some time to think of tasties to send, but if you need another NW'er I can send you my details. Western WA about a half hour east of Tacoma.

Either way, I'll be following all the cool updates.

That might be a good idea to keep things under control. You could always keep a side list and add later? Not sure how much of a PITA that would be for you though.

I think that could very easily get out of control, lol. Two people send to the same recipient unknowingly...

I don't think it would be too much of a pain to do it...we can cap it at 32 people, after five have received, I'll open it up for five more members. I'll also revise the rules a tad bit, too. this will include not shipping back to the same state within two moves. I shipped to NY, NY can't ship back to PA, it has to go to a different state. The only issue there I see is how many top heavy states we have such as PA and CA.

If you cap it now, you could treat it similarly to a swap, come up with the order of shipment (maybe keep it secret from everyone else), then send the current holder their target each time.

More work for you, but that way you'd ensure that everyone gets a turn as it makes its journey, and could try to organize it so there's some change in distro between recipients, etc.

Back