The Best Session Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
I'm currently enjoying an NZ Pilsner which seems to be that good of a session beer I cant put it down and go to bed :drunk: Its 5% but lots of late Nelson Sauvin and Motueka leaving it dry and clean. I thought it lacked malt initially but now its that crisp it doesnt need any and it would lose some session drinkability if it was there.

Just wondering what styles and characteristics do you guys enjoy when you get that beer that just wont let you go to bed? FTR I enjoy a wide range of styles but this one has just enchanted me tonight :D

I am a big fan of the Moose Drool clone I made, which I think qualifies as a session beer at about 5.2% ABV.

As I suffer from early-morning disease, almost any beer will put me to bed after a few.

So, 5% beers are "session" now? Sweet. I gotta go tell the missus!

Nor-cal bitters... Which are nothing more than ipas brewed at 1.040 or so and hopped to 45-55 ibu. Low alcohol and highly hopped. I brew them regularly.

I made a bunch of nicely flavored well hopped not dry hopped either, that were 4 percenters that blew me away for the low gravity shock.I think it was accidental but a nice accident.

Well I have to go commercial here, hahn superdry goes done like mothers milk only 5% an with a nice piece of pork on the spit a carton can be drunk between 2 blokes over about 3 - 4 hours.

Yards Brawler is fantastic at 4.2% I'm also a big fan of Warsteiner Dunkel which I think comes in at under 5%. I'm in need of new session options. I tend to always buy big, and that is no good for brew days!

Well I have to go commercial here, hahn superdry goes done like mothers milk only 5% an with a nice piece of pork on the spit a carton can be drunk between 2 blokes over about 3 - 4 hours.

I was over in Sydney for the league grand final a few months back and Hahn was my pick of the thirst quenching beers even though its not a style I would drink by choice, Coopers PA is OK but it can be a bit hit and miss. Fat Yak and Little Creatures PA are solid but FY gets a bit sickly after a couple. We had some epic sessions around Kings Cross and The Rocks on the local brews :rockin:

Back