The beer equipment fairy visited last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmcq

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got home from an overnight at camp to find a brand new to me 1/2 bbl keg sitting just outside my pub!

So here we go.. months and months of planning and I finally get to start bringing things to fruition. A quick run-down of what my brewery will be:

Electric, BiaB, CIP.

I've got pretty much everything worked out except one thing...

Should I bottom drain, utilizing a triclamp on the existing top, or

Dip tube?

BiaB prevents a good 50% of the normal trub volume... and I HiaB as well (Hop in a Bag), so I actually end up with very little crap in the bottom. I can easily make a hinged false bottom, which is something I'll have to do anyway. I can also add an additional screen/filter between the keggle and the triclamp attachment.. and I don't whirlpool, so..

Maybe I just answered my own question...

Regardless.. thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

It sounds like you are not concerned about trub, so i would say do whatever you would prefer.

I like the idea of the bottom drain tri-clover, but i have cut the top off all my kegs.

+1. I just can't think of a reason NOT to bottom-drain it... what concerns me a little about it is the fact more people aren't doing it too.. it seems like it would make life a lot easier..

Well, for electric brewers.. I can appreciate why it wouldn't work out so well with gas rigs.

I did not bottom drain because I did not want to have to put a hole in my nice stainless steel table that I use as a brew rig... I am electric.

Good input. Since I'm building my table, I have no problem taking a hole saw to it... however, that is a good thing to think about for possible future stainless tables...

Back