The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 out of 5 for me in Chicago. English bitter 1st, ipa 2nd, and pale 3rd. I have to rebrew all of them this weekend. They didn't last long with my buddies.

Congrats! I too placed w an ipa in nashville. I'm working on my bitters. Can't seem to get anything I'm satisfied with.

How does second round submitting work? Do we just log on and re print the Advancing brew ID tag? Do they send another email?

How does second round submitting work? Do we just log on and re print the Advancing brew ID tag? Do they send another email?

Typically they send another email. From what I recall last year, the site retains your information. I seem to remember having to submit recipe information, though.

I got a 2nd on my Death Wish Coffee Stout in St. Paul! So weird how nome brew competitions work. I entered the same beer in 2 other competitions and it didn't do the best, then it takes 2nd in the first round of AHA. Oh well, much rather it place in this competition than any other.

That's it. Just enter a brew in the same category style.

Must be same specialty ingredients as well, as far as I know...

Aka, you couldn't place with a strawberry wheat and then enter a blueberry porter in the final round (even though it's the same subcategory)

And you can't change strength, sweetness, or carbonation levels for meads/ciders.

Well, I guess you can, it just won't do very well. ;)

Must be same specialty ingredients as well, as far as I know...

Aka, you couldn't place with a strawberry wheat and then enter a blueberry porter in the final round (even though it's the same subcategory)

And you can't change strength, sweetness, or carbonation levels for meads/ciders.

Well, I guess you can, it just won't do very well. ;)

I thought you could. I thought you could enter a different beer as long as fit the category. Maybe I am thinking of the MCAB competition? Maybe I am just crazy!!!

I thought you could. I thought you could enter a different beer as long as fit the category. Maybe I am thinking of the MCAB competition? Maybe I am just crazy!!!

I dunno, the last 5 years I've advanced 'specialty' entries and thought you couldn't edit that info....

Maybe I've just been too excited to enter the same thing....

I dunno, the last 5 years I've advanced 'specialty' entries and thought you couldn't edit that info....

Maybe I've just been too excited to enter the same thing....

I got my first speciality through this year so I don't either. I just tried looking on their page, but couldn't find anything. Luckily, I have 3 bottles left so no need to re-brew for me.

Noticed a few pro brewers racking up some awards in Chicago, not sure how I feel about that... Guess it makes winning that much sweeter and losing, well not so much.

Noticed a few pro brewers racking up some awards in Chicago, not sure how I feel about that... Guess it makes winning that much sweeter and losing, well not so much.

As long as they're brewing it on their homebrew systems, I'd say it's fair game. I did a pro-am with a local brewery last year. All the pro-brewers I talked with there still home-brewed and some regularly enter comps.

Pulled this from Facebook.. Looks like Quaff will be the club to the year.... surprise..

QUAFF Grand Total: 1st place - 13, 2nd place - 20, 3rd place - 19 for a total of 52 beers heading to the Final Round!

Pulled this from Facebook.. Looks like Quaff will be the club to the year.... surprise..

QUAFF Grand Total: 1st place - 13, 2nd place - 20, 3rd place - 19 for a total of 52 beers heading to the Final Round!

Keep in mind the AHA changed the rules (and the name) for the award this year. It's no longer "Homebrew Club of the Year", it's been changed to "NHC Homebrew Club Award". Also, 1st round points do not contribute to the final score, unless there is a tie at the Final Round.

I do agree that QUAFF has a high chance of taking it this year with all their entries! That should make the boo-ers of The BN happy... I hope to place to bring The BN a few points! :mug:

Best of luck to all of us!

You're mixing it up with MCAB. MCAB only has to be the same category that qualified you. IOW if you won with an 80 shilling, you could brew a Scotch ale for MCAB (assuming the old guidelines).

NHC is supposed to be the same beer that placed in first round, or at least the same recipe. Rebrewing and tweaking is not really mentioned at all (neither encouraged nor prohibited). I can say though, that certain styles don't lend themselves to rebrewing. I did german wheat and rye in second round last year, and there were a lot of beers that came off as rushed rebrews.

None of the names stuck out to me. What categories?

Keep in mind the AHA changed the rules (and the name) for the award this year. It's no longer "Homebrew Club of the Year", it's been changed to "NHC Homebrew Club Award". Also, 1st round points do not contribute to the final score, unless there is a tie at the Final Round.

I do agree that QUAFF has a high chance of taking it this year with all their entries! That should make the boo-ers of The BN happy... I hope to place to bring The BN a few points! :mug:

Best of luck to all of us!

That's the part that sucks (for them), they'll be unchallenged and that's not fun. At least with the BN they had a rival. I think MN has a club that is close, but still not big enough. QUAFF strategically enters in all locations to get more through to the final round (similar to the BN)

I don't think it was the rule changes. They just didn't enter under the BNARMY this year, due to the incredibly poor sportsmanship of a few. I entered under my local club this year.

That's the part that sucks (for them), they'll be unchallenged and that's not fun. At least with the BN they had a rival. I think MN has a club that is close, but still not big enough. QUAFF strategically enters in all locations to get more through to the final round (similar to the BN)

I don't think it was the rule changes. They just didn't enter under the BNARMY this year, due to the incredibly poor sportsmanship of a few. I entered under my local club this year.

If the rule change had been in effect last year, neither of them would have won. The Zealots would have. First round entries/advances are irrelevant except as a tie breaker.

As long as they're brewing it on their homebrew systems, I'd say it's fair game. I did a pro-am with a local brewery last year. All the pro-brewers I talked with there still home-brewed and some regularly enter comps.

A lot of pro brewers judge these competitions as well, so I don't see what the big deal is if they enter them as well.

Two weeks ago, I rebrewed my Altbier that took first in St. Louis. I'm not sure if it will have enough lagering time. I still have some from the batch I sent to NHC so I guess I'll taste them both and make a decision. I did make some very small tweaks to the recipe from the first round.

I rebrewed all 3 of my lagers before I ever saw the results from St. Louis.....2 of the 3 made it through, and the third one that did not make it was a Helles - so no harm in having that on hand in June. I think I Actually brewed 2 of them the weekend of the judging in St. Louis. I think the other one was even before the regional happened.

I just plan on rebrewing whatever I enter at the time it needs to be brewed. That way, any beers I have advance from regionals will be exactly the same age at the finals as they were in the regional comp.

I waited to rebrew my Scottish and Blonde until results came out. Scottish missed out so I did not need to rebrew it, Blonde made it and is going in the keg this weekend - rebrewed it 2 weeks ago.

I rebrewed all 3 of my lagers before I ever saw the results from St. Louis.....2 of the 3 made it through, and the third one that did not make it was a Helles - so no harm in having that on hand in June. I think I Actually brewed 2 of them the weekend of the judging in St. Louis. I think the other one was even before the regional happened.

I just plan on rebrewing whatever I enter at the time it needs to be brewed. That way, any beers I have advance from regionals will be exactly the same age at the finals as they were in the regional comp.

I waited to rebrew my Scottish and Blonde until results came out. Scottish missed out so I did not need to rebrew it, Blonde made it and is going in the keg this weekend - rebrewed it 2 weeks ago.

Yep...

Rebrewing (as appropriate to style) really should be built into your brew schedule before results come out. I've never understood how it's not...

Two of mine I wasn't going to rebrew anyway. The other 3 were relatively quick styles, so I was waiting for results. The funny part is that the ones that did the best were 'rushed'. They were brewed just over 2 weeks before the shipping deadline (an 80 shilling and a DIPA). Granted, they were both recipes I've made many times, so the time crunch wasn't that big a concern.

Two of mine I wasn't going to rebrew anyway. The other 3 were relatively quick styles, so I was waiting for results. The funny part is that the ones that did the best were 'rushed'. They were brewed just over 2 weeks before the shipping deadline (an 80 shilling and a DIPA). Granted, they were both recipes I've made many times, so the time crunch wasn't that big a concern.

I told you your rushed beers wouldn't do well. :eek:

Have any of you received your scoresheets yet? I submitted two to Austin with one advancing. This being my first NHC and first real comp, I'm dying to see what's on the sheet.

Have any of you received your scoresheets yet? I submitted two to Austin with one advancing. This being my first NHC and first real comp, I'm dying to see what's on the sheet.

Don't know if they've been mailed yet (Austin). They were focusing on getting everything entered and uploaded. They were going to be sorting and mailing later. I would think that would happen real soon, though.

Don't know if they've been mailed yet (Austin). They were focusing on getting everything entered and uploaded. They were going to be sorting and mailing later. I would think that would happen real soon, though.

The scoresheets were mailed out early this week. The organizer had work get in the way a bit so things were delayed a few days.

Thanks, guys! I'll keep my eyes peeled for them!

Got my scores today from Denver. None of my entries advanced this year, which I was a little bummed about (two were entered in the waaaaay too overcrowded Specialty category). The best was a Bourbon Barrel RIS I made with a couple buddies of mine. It scored a 42 and went to the mini-BOS. Both judges had a lot of good things to say about it and one judge requested I send him the recipe in the comment section, so I have that to feel good about. Another feel-good was my pre-prohibition lager. The PPL scored a 34 after scoring a 24 at a local comp. I'm pretty sure the local comp judges had no idea what a PPL was supposed to taste like, so I feel like I got some vindication from the more experienced NHC judges.

For the ones who have placed and gotten their sheets back, was there any additional info pertaining to second round in there?

I entered in the Sacramento contest and already got my score sheets. That is the fastest I have ever gotten results back from any contest. Only one beer had almost no comment, but most had something and they where some of the easiest to read comments I have gotten on score sheets too.

I entered 4 beers but only one made it through to the second round. Would have been nice to get more through, but at least the shipping will be less. No information regarding second round.

What does everyone think of the new scoresheets? There's much less emphasis on writing comments. I suppose the flavor/characteristic descriptor boxes make the judging go faster.

What does everyone think of the new scoresheets? There's much less emphasis on writing comments. I suppose the flavor/characteristic descriptor boxes make the judging go faster.

They're only used for NHC judging to speed up the process. AFAIK they will never replace the standard sheets which provide more verbose commentary.

I judged at Philly this year with them, and the ironic thing is that they are sometimes harder to score with b/c you're not used to using them while trying to be complete and check all appropriate boxes.

They're only used for NHC judging to speed up the process. AFAIK they will never replace the standard sheets which provide more verbose commentary.

I judged at Philly this year with them, and the ironic thing is that they are sometimes harder to score with b/c you're not used to using them while trying to be complete and check all appropriate boxes.

I've used them at three events now (7 or 8 sessions) and the only reason they're faster is that you don't have to look at a scoresheet and think "I really should write more, but I don't know what." I've judged at St. Louis the last two years and judges haven't had to judge any more beers than at a regular comp, so I wonder if the time savings is really necessary. The only difference between NHC and a normal comp that takes more time is that everything gets a mini-BOS.

They're not that new, and they're basically meant for training beginners (since they have the basic sensory descriptors already there for you) and something like NHC where people should not be entering for feedback anyway (it's more of a prestige thing) and you just want to judge a lot of beer as quickly as possible.

Got my results from Austin on saturday.
Apa had a 43, and my coffee saison got a 40. The coffee saison score was very surprising. Apparently they liked how strong the coffee aroma was and wanted more flavor in the beer. The last competition I put that beer in told me it wasn't a good match for spice/herb/vegetable because there was too much coffee and not enough saison. Maybe it needed a month to mellow out.

The other three beers got much lower scores for not being to style. They deserved it imo.

Got my results from Austin on saturday.
Apa had a 43, and my coffee saison got a 40. The coffee saison score was very surprising. Apparently they liked how strong the coffee aroma was and wanted more flavor in the beer. The last competition I put that beer in told me it wasn't a good match for spice/herb/vegetable because there was too much coffee and not enough saison. Maybe it needed a month to mellow out.

The other three beers got much lower scores for not being to style. They deserved it imo.

Well done! I still haven't received my scores yet, maybe tomorrow? I've done 1 rebrew but did a double batch and fly sparged instead of batch sparged (as I did on the original beer) and got a much higher efficiency. Need to rebrew again but batch sparge again this week.

Results from NYC: 33 for my quad and berry mead, mead made it to mini-BOS. 30.5 for my peach sour. Judges' main critique was too much diacetyl in the sour. Will have to open one to check, but I didn't get that in other bottles. Same beer took home a gold at NYC Homebrew Alley about a month earlier.

Time to start planning for next year.

Back