The 2016 NHC - Results/Speculation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are good scores, congrats!

I would suggest you enter the same beers into some BJCP competitions for some better feedback on how to improve them. I look at NHC as a chance to enter already proven 'the best of the best' beers for recognition, rather than a place to get feedback on how to improve your recipes/process.

Thanks! good advice.

Relieved to see I'm up there. Was worried I'd get burned since they didn't list a place on my Mild scoresheet. A clubmate also got a mead through (says he put his club in, they didn't list it, who knows who's error that is).

Same here. I'm curious to see how many entries there are in the various categories compared to other locations.

I saw on the AHA forum there were 78 in Specialty. I recently entered a lager-only comp that only had 90-something entries. 78 entries in a single category is definitely a sign they need to fully adopt the 2015 BJCP guidelines, and spread it out a bit.

I think you can still go in and edit your info to add a club.

My club's in there. Not my problem ;)

I saw on the AHA forum there were 78 in Specialty. I recently entered a lager-only comp that only had 90-something entries. 78 entries in a single category is definitely a sign they need to fully adopt the 2015 BJCP guidelines, and spread it out a bit.

Definitely agree. And aside from the monstrous vs tiny groupings, this weird hybrid seemed to cause a fair bit of confusion.

Your score sheet cover page would've indicated the place awarded if it was top 3.

Not necessarily. Had several a couple cover sheets with basically nothing marked. Wait for the official results to be posted.

Assuming I'm not burned by verification, my entry on the winner list had no placement marked either.

I got my scoresheets on tuesday with no places or mini BOS noted but found out tonight I landed 1st in American Pale ale and 3rd in Fruit Beer!

When is the 2nd round ship date? The AHA website says "If your First Round entry is advancing to the Final Round, information on where and when to send Final Round entries will be included with your letter and certificate on the National Homebrew Competition website beginning May 4, 2016." So is the ship date going to be around mid May?

I got my scoresheets on tuesday with no places or mini BOS noted but found out tonight I landed 1st in American Pale ale and 3rd in Fruit Beer!

When is the 2nd round ship date? The AHA website says "If your First Round entry is advancing to the Final Round, information on where and when to send Final Round entries will be included with your letter and certificate on the National Homebrew Competition website beginning May 4, 2016." So is the ship date going to be around mid May?

It's in the FAQ. Don't recall off the top of my head. Mid to late May.

Also congrats.

Excellent work! Congrats! So much for my BS theory!!!

just got my results today. lucky enough for my sweet stout to head to the second round with a 3rd place finish. thank Ninkasi for Jamil and his recipes. This was one of my home brewing goals, so life is very good today.

Have they posted any of the winners from other comps on Saturday? Any point in continually refreshing the page until my mouse breaks?

Got my Denver results in the mail. Scored 31 with my prickly pear Blonde Ale in category 23a. Looks like the judges were looking for more prickly pear flavor and aroma than my beer had (the prickly pear was very subtle but its not a very overpowering fruit anyway). Didn't place but I'm happy with the score (it was only the 3rd beer I've ever brewed)

This has got to be the weirdest competition I've ever entered. I'm still waiting for NYC scoresheets and the judging was done 4 weeks ago.

This has got to be the weirdest competition I've ever entered. I'm still waiting for NYC scoresheets and the judging was done 4 weeks ago.

..and having said that, I of course found them a few hours later in the Saturday mail delivery. I had no idea they would be snail-mailed to me. I thought they'd be scanned and emailed like every other competition I've been in.

More importantly, I thought the scoresheets were pretty on the mark. I probably shouldn't even have entered the Christmas Beer (entered in the American Amber category because I just couldn't find a more fitting place). One judge suggested it was over attenuated and perhaps over-sparged. Which is valuable input since I'm aware of some astringency and/or tannins and have been working to correct the over-sparging or sparging-too-deep problem.

Ditto the IPA, since the hops aroma was low and even the flavor was meh.

However, the Imperial Stout advanced to mini-bos and got a 38. The telling comment there was from a judge who said "Great example of style. Hard to fault but not quite as complex as some other examples today".

I think that beer peaked at about 5-6 months. It had aged almost 8 months by the time it was being judged. I had noticed it had lost some of the lovely darker fruit complexity by that time.

Got my Denver results in the mail. Scored 31 with my prickly pear Blonde Ale in category 23a. Looks like the judges were looking for more prickly pear flavor and aroma than my beer had (the prickly pear was very subtle but its not a very overpowering fruit anyway). Didn't place but I'm happy with the score (it was only the 3rd beer I've ever brewed)

Nice. That's a decent result for a new brewer.

Congrats. I've found in the past the Philly group doesn't like to mark scoresheets with places awarded. In 2012, I got my scoresheets back with no places award and figured I didn't get through and almost drank my remaining bottles. When the results were posted, I found I had gotten 2nd with a Munich Helles that went on to win 2nd in the finals. I was close to having no beer to send to the finals.

The FAQ states this for final entries:
Anytime between Wednesday, May 18th and Friday, May 27, 2016.

But wait for the official word from the AHA.

Good luck in the finals (especially since you don't have anything competing with me) :)

Seems Nashville probably still isn't finished judging since the status is still OPEN instead of VERIFYING.

Through (7) locations posting, the most popular categories:
1. Specialty (64.9)
2. Belgian Strong (36.3)
3. IPA (36.1)
t4. American IPA (33.9)
t4. Spice/Herb/Vegetable (33.9)
6. Belgian & French (31.1)
7. Strong Stout (28.9)
t8. American Pale Ale (26.0)
t8. Porter (26.0)
10. Stout (24.4)

Judging was supposed to occur Thursday & Friday, right? I just assumed the website would have been changed to "VERIFYING" over the weekend.

Judging was supposed to occur Thursday & Friday, right? I just assumed the website would have been changed to "VERIFYING" over the weekend.

I don't think they're super on the ball in updating the status. I noticed last week that it took at least an hour or two after San Diego and Philly were posted before it reflected "Posted".

Argh. Looks like they updated the status info, changing Sacramento and St. Paul to "Verifying", but leaving Chicago and Denver as "verifying" as well. Haven't seen the list change more than once per day, so I'm guessing that means that it'll be another day at least until I learn my Chicago results. Nashville remains "Open".

Looks like they are still judging in Nashville. This FB update from late Sunday night makes it seem like they will try to wrap it up Tuesday night. (18 days after the start of their judging....)

"Are there any other BJCP Certified judges on this page who can make it to Mayday in Murfreesboro Tuesday from about 6 to 8-9 , We are having a bottle share, pizza, and if we can get another judge or two the judging will go quickly. Would like to make sure we are covered in case of a judge not being able to show up. This will finish up the contest and we need to finish Tuesday. We have 4 judges scheduled to show and can pair up with novices if necessary."

poor Nashville. I'm counting myself lucky. Was there a consensus answer that score sheets are being snail mailed? Not complaining, just curious as to what to expect.

Argh. Looks like they updated the status info, changing Sacramento and St. Paul to "Verifying", but leaving Chicago and Denver as "verifying" as well. Haven't seen the list change more than once per day, so I'm guessing that means that it'll be another day at least until I learn my Chicago results. Nashville remains "Open".

You didn't have an American Light Lager, did you?

You didn't have an American Light Lager, did you?

Yep I did - and that's the entry that's scored the best in other comps leading up to this one, so I figured it probably had the best shot. Do you have some inside info...?

Received my scoresheets from Denver on Friday via snailmail.

Three entries:

Munich Dunkel, 36
Belgian Dark Strong, 35
Alternative Grains American Blonde Ale, 33. Got docked 5 points for failing to specify american or belgian blond, and for failing to specify alternative grains. On the by and by, does anyone know where this would have been noted on the online registration? I don't remember seeing a place for it, but I could also be blind...lol

No mini-bos or places marked, although I didn't really score high enough to warrant placing, so yeah.

Best of luck to all of you!

Last edited:

Three entries:

Munich Dunkel, 36
Belgian Dark Strong, 35
Alternative Grains American Blonde Ale, 33. Got docked 5 points for failing to specify american or belgian blond, and for failing to specify alternative grains. On the by and by, does anyone know where this would have been noted on the online registration? I don't remember seeing a place for it, but I could also be blind...lol

No mini-bos or places marked, although I didn't really score high enough to warrant placing, so yeah.

Best of luck to all of you!

My entries had similar scores (35, 34), and there were no markings on the scoresheet. I think that 30+ point beers are normally advanced to mini-BOS if there is one, but maybe if there were too many entries in that range, the qualifying score had to be a bit higher. I would have figured that a 35 with a dark strong would get to the mini-BOS, so there's a chance that they just didn't mark anything on the front of the scoresheets. Long-story-short, your dunkel may have snuck in the second round (the other two are in pretty big categories, so probably did not advance).

Yep I did - and that's the entry that's scored the best in other comps leading up to this one, so I figured it probably had the best shot. Do you have some inside info...?

Well, unofficially, someone named Robert from Connecticut appears to have advanced a 1A in Chicago. I wouldn't go draining that keg just yet...

Hmmm...this is the second post about folks getting their score sheets from Denver. I'm in Utah so it shouldn't take very long via snail mail. I haven't seen anything yet, but haven't been able to check the mail yet today. I wish they'd hurry and post results.

My entries had similar scores (35, 34), and there were no markings on the scoresheet. I think that 30+ point beers are normally advanced to mini-BOS if there is one, but maybe if there were too many entries in that range, the qualifying score had to be a bit higher. I would have figured that a 35 with a dark strong would get to the mini-BOS, so there's a chance that they just didn't mark anything on the front of the scoresheets. Long-story-short, your dunkel may have snuck in the second round (the other two are in pretty big categories, so probably did not advance).

So you're sayin' theres a chance....lol. We shall see if it did indeed sneak in...

Back