Testing Second Hand Ingredients - 1 Gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchtech

Reaction score
I have a friend that recently got out of the brewing game, and I purchased his entire lot from him.

This was a steal for me, as it came with everything I needed to get into all grain. and to keg (along with a keezer)j.

It also came with a significant amount of base and specialty grains, and I'm wanting to test their quality (primarily the base grains, as their vittles vaults have cracked lids). ~10lbs each of 2-row, maris otter, and pilsner.

To kill two birds with one stone, I figured I'd use this to experiment with 1 gallon smash recipes to get me familiar with the process.

I had trouble with keeping temps for such a small batch, so I'm wondering if just stove-topping it while micro-managing the temps would be more effective.

And if you have any other advice, i'm all ears :D

I had trouble with keeping temps for such a small batch
Wrap the mash tun in a blanket, sleeping bag, or towels or whatever you have lying around. Dropping a few degrees doesn't matter.

I strongly recommend against heating the mash without a HERMS, RIMS, or similar.
And if you have any other advice, i'm all ears :D
Enjoy the process and don't stress out!
There's always lots to learn, so feel very welcome to ask questions.

Cheers

I tried to do that for a long time with small batches. The temperature swings on a stove--especially an electric stove--are hard to control. If you have a gas stove that cuts really low on its lowest settings then maybe you could baby it through a mash ok.

Far easier to get your water to the right temperature add the grain and stick the whole thing in your oven. If you have an oven that gets down to 170F you could heat it to that temperature and then cut the heat as your strike water gets to around 140F. By the time the strike water gets to your target temperature the oven will cool into mash temperatures and help hold more consistent temperatures. If your oven doesn't get that low then flip on your oven light and leave it on the entire boil.

Eventually I built a small mash cooler.

I made a couple beers earlier this year using 2 row that was somewhere around two years old.

No problems.

All the Best,
D. White

Is the grain uncrushed? If so, it's probably still good if it had been kept dry. If crushed, it might be oxidized.

Instead to using the stovetop to maintain mash temps, use the oven at a very low temp. In fact, just preheat the oven to 150-200F, turn off the heat and put the kettle in.

I almost gave up on BIAB until I tried keeping the mash warm in the oven. Works without fail.

I pre-heat to 170F
Turn it off and put my mash kettle in.
Doesn't drop a degree in 90 minutes.

All the Best,
D. White

Back