Testing my Brutus Electric Herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Looking to test out some new modifications on my HERMS Brutus design. I have an electric HERMS with a 120v 2000w element and I would like to test the efficiency of the element with raising the HLT water and the effect of changing the temp of the mash.

Is this possible without actually having grains in the MT? I was thinking of adding water to both the Mash Tun and HLT and just let set the control panel to increase the mash temp 5 or 10 degrees to see how well it works.

I have recently added a second pump to my system and think that this will make a big difference in the performance of the set up.

Any tips or suggestions on testing this process?

Thank you

That's what I did when I first set my system up. Obviously there will be less thermal mass in mash tun, but it will give you a general idea. Two pumps is the only way to go, I have a March for HLT and a Chugger for Mash/BK.

Back