temps for everthing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
so let me see if i have this strait(just for ales, not lagering yet): after i cool hot wort i pitch at room temp, then i move it to the colder end of the yeasts temp range. colder is better? i leave it at that temp in secondary, then i bottle and leave in a warm place until they carb, then condition in a cool place? this is my last step to fix i believe and i want to make it perfect. my main question is it bad to ferment warmer or cooler but less consisitant temps, and is it bad to let bottles carb in warmer or cooler rooms?

You are going to have minor fluctuations in temperature unless you really have a stable environment, forutunately these are buffered by the mass of water itself. It acts like a slow responding temperature regulator. To get a feel for this just heat up a big pot of water and see how long it takes to cool to room temperature on it's own, covered. In general though, you are shooting for stability over precision. Temperature swings are usually what most people shoot to avoid, although much of this is fine (ie a few degrees is no big deal). What you don't want to have is pitching at high temps and leaving it warm as this is a sure way to produce copious amounts of esters and some nasty stuff you don't want in there, mainly higher alcohols. Pitch cool, and if the yeast brings itself up that is fine as long as it doesn't get out of hand early on. The lag phase of the yeast is a crucial time, and you want to keep it as stable as possible at that time. Now if you are trying to fine tune the flavor profile that the yeast produces then you will begin to play with temperature, but to begin pitch low and if it rises on it's own it's ok.

As for the carbonation it is a toss up. I have found a week in a warm place followed by sending it to cold storage (55 °F or so) is great for conditioning. Although, sometime I just place the cases directly into a cooler place. This in general, extends the carbonation period...but usually you are going to let the beer sit at least 3 weeks anyways and in that time they are pretty much fully carbonated. The only caveat is that if you ran a high gravity batch, your yeast might not be sufficient to carbonate to what you want so that is another thing to consider if your starting gravity is over 60.

All of these different methods may produce noticeable (yet usually very subtle) differences, you have to play to see what you like! Consider temperature as one of the biggest tools to affect flavor and it opens another dimension in the process. Again, pitch low is always a good idea.

I pulled this off the web for you. I'd say the same thing but I'm a slow typer so here ya go...

Temperature plays a crucial role in flavors generated from yeast during fermentation. As temperature increases, fermentation rate accelerates and with this faster fermentation come more aromatic compounds. The aromas arise because the metabolic rate is going along at such a clip that more metabolic intermediates are excreted from the yeast cell. I liken this to people getting stinky and sweaty during vigorous exercise.
“Fruity” is the most common type of aroma associated with warmer fermentations. This generic term includes aromas reminiscent of banana, pineapple and pear, which belong to a class of compounds called esters. Some esters, like ethyl acetate, smell like solvent (ethyl acetate is used in acetone-free fingernail polish remover). I don’t mind fruity beers but I hate smelling fingernail polish remover when trying to enjoy a pint.
Warm fermentation also increases the alcohol concentration. High alcohol levels are known for their spicy, vinous aroma and the propensity to cause headaches. Strong beers normally have detectable levels of higher alcohols but normal gravity beers, like the one you brewed, shouldn’t have a detectable level.
If you discover after bottling and aging that your beer smells fruity, solventy and vinous, the warmer fermentation is probably the culprit. You may want to investigate other methods of keeping the fermentation cool.

im not really trying to correct anything. i have loved all of the beers i have made and i am just trying to do whatever i can to make them the best possible quality. what i am getting is that i get more fruity esters with a warmer fermentation. i could put a hefe in warmer areas for more banana aroma for example, but where would cause bad flavors like the nail polish?

Back